Can you do a "last minute" switch from dolphin encounter to observer?

Fab5Family

Mouseketeer
We will be travelling as a party of 7: me, DH, the boys, plus my parents.

In talking about the dolphin encounter, my mom, myself and 2 of the boys are a definite "yes" while my dad and DH just plan to do the observer and take pics/videos of the rest of us. My oldest DS is a little nervous and on the fence about getting in the water versus being an observer with dad and grandpa.

I am guessing with the people to dolphin ratios they have to maintain it would be easier to book him as an encounter now and then switch to an observer later rather than trying to make a switch the other way around.

So question #1: Am I right in thinking that you can make changes up to 24 hours in advance at the excursion desk without penalty?

And follow up question #2: DS is 11 (counts as an adult), so I am wondering if we could just switch him with grandpa at the last minute. Is it just a different wristband for encounter participants vs observers? Or would this type of change also need to happen 24 hours in advance?

I don't see why you can't make this change. The excursions become non-refundable at a certain point, but I have been able to switch my excursions many times while on the boat without penalty. The only catch is that the new excursion has to cost at least as much as the old one. They just want the money! My only concern would be that you might lose out on the paid difference between the participant and observer prices.

I believe the official policy is that you have until 3 days before the cruise to change anything that you pre-book including excursions without penalty. Then they close down that cruise and you can't change anything. Once you are onboard, the excursions booked are non-refundable. If they allow you to make any changes, that would be at their discretion. So changing from a participant to an observer may only be allowed if they have someone to fill the spot.

As far as you substituting one person for another, that is not a problem. You will get tickets for whomever is booked. The participants will get different wristbands from the observers but they don't check names when they are giving out the wristbands only that you get the same number that you have tickets for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter