Can you believe what happened?

Scrufsmom

Mouseketeer
Hello to my fellow DVCers!

We just got back from our wonderful 4 day disney trip. Although, it didn't start off to be so "Magical". Has anyone every heard of this one? We made reservations 6 months ago for the BWV and requested a preferred room overlooking the boardwalk. When we checked in they had our room ready, but when we got to the room it was never cleaned and they had us overlooking the Swan hotel. We complained about the room over the phone, but the staff was eager to settle the matter via the phone call. We ended up back at the front desk and was immediatly approached by one of the managers who explained that "per our contract we would not neccessarily get a "Boardwalk view". This is because other people have made the reservation requesting this type of room months earlier then us, so hence, we go to the bottom of the list. So to another room we go and thought they had found something to make us happy, instead they put us at overlooking some secondary small pool. They were willing to possibly find something within a day or two and move us. After 2 hours and three room changes they finally found us a room overlooking the Boardwalk.

Normally, I wouldn't make such a fuss, but considering my parents were driving in from Georgia and has "never" stayed on a Disney property before; we wanted it to be the most magical expericnce ever. In the long run it turned out to be magical.

The most interesting thing is the bit about the contract. Has anyone ever run into this before? I am curious.

Room requests are not guarenteed. period.

The sooner you make your reservation the more likely you are to get your request. However, only a very small percentage of the rooms at BWV are actually boardwalk views - hence they can be very hard to come by, and it depends on when you make the reservation, and actual availability on the day you arrive.

What you experienced is typically called the squeaky wheel syndrome. They probably bumped someone from a boardwalk view that had made their reservation before you made yours - hoping that the person they bumped wouldn't make as much noise (which was probably the case, as most (?) DVC members are aware of the requests not guarenteed policy - which is clearly stated on your confirmation letter).

I requested a room overlooking the pool at VWL for our first trip home in January. We got a room overlooking the wooded area.

I know that views are not guaranteed and I never thought twice about it since pretty much any view at Disney is enjoyable (okay maybe with the exception of the infamous "dumpster view" at VWL:teeth: )

It was nice that you made the extra effort for your parents sake, but I bet they would have had a magical time overlooking the pool as well.

I've never been "Home" yet, but I do know that it says on my confirmation letter that requests are not guaranteed. And that includes those requests made even at 11 months out. I think you're lucky that they accomodated you, considering you didn't make your ressie until 6 months out. I don't think the view, etc. should detract from my overall vacation, but I do think I would be annoyed that my requests at 11 months could get bumped by someone who requested much later and made a fuss about it.

JMO
Sheri

The room should be cleaned and you have every right to refuse that room.

As to the Boardwalk view.....almost everyone booking a preferred view room requests the Boardwalk view. The manager is absolutely correct that none of us are guaranteed that view. The views you mention....quiet pool and Swan view....are all part of the preferred view category. The system is indeed imperfect and I also don't like to think that a room I might have requested 11 months out is given to someone who makes a bigger fuss. In fact, I think WDW/DVC does their best to discourage being bullied into granting a request under those circumstances. This is also why they have included the ability to charge for a room change...to cut down on casual complaints about the rooms.

That "secondary small pool" is the quiet pool and any pool view is considered a 'preferred' view.

"2 hours and 3 room changes"??? I think 'squeaky wheel' is an understatement. ;)

3 years ago, I made a Boardwalk view request at exactly 11 months and did not get it. It depends on how many people checkout that day. Because you fussed so much, they probably bumped someone else out of their Boardwalk view room who could have been entitled to it if they booked earlier. Since we did not arrive until 3:00pm, it is possible that is what happened to our Boardwalk view room, we ended up with quiet pool. Since then, I have booked standard view to save the points since there is no guarantee of a boardwalk view.

Well, the more you think about it you all are right. I appreciate the views in this matter. I guess I was wrong, but I was obviously told something else when I made the ressie. Maybe I had a new MS advisor. Who knows!

We were told so much about the BWV that our expectations were high. I am sorry if I offended anyone by my post.

Yes. I can believe what happened...

because it happened to me (3 out of my 4 stays at the Boardwalk). And it has happened to most of the people who request a Boardwalk view, because there are more rooms that overlook non Boardwalk views than there are rooms that overlook the Boardwalk. As others have stated, it is stated that room requests, including views, are NOT guaranteed. The quiet pool (some secondary small pool, as you have called it) is a very nice view.

And to be honest, it makes me mad that some people can not play fair, but complain and complain and complain until they receive special treatment. Now that you know the policy, I hope that in the future, if you receive a non Boardwalk preferred view room, you will realize that it is someone else's turn to have a Boardwalk view, and enjoy the view that you have been assigned.

Please don't think that I am piling on, because I am not--just trying to add more information that you might not be aware of. It is also in DVC policies that once you are assigned a room, you must pay a fee to have your room assignment changed if you go to the room and "don't like it." (I'm oversimplifying). You were definitely correct in not accepting a dirty room, and should never be charged for making a change under those circumstances, however it is possible you could have been changed for one or more of the other room changes. So, things could have been worse. Hope you have better luck next time.

First of all, This will never happen again. I fully understand everyones views. As I am a Magic Kingdom Fan, I plan on staying closer to this Park then to Epcot.

It was an extremely wonderful weekend. I got to witness my parents revert back to childhoood and that was my plan.

Needless, to say we are fans of other disney hotels. This was our first experience and we will move on.

Once again.......I am so sorry!

Shame on you:mad:

You got several excellent views, and you still weren't happy, so by the standards of those of us who are veterens, you made a big blunder. Nevertheless, if you learned something for the future, you're forgiven

:) Now, if they had tried to give you the "preferred" dumpster view(BWV has one too) you would have had a perfectly legitimate complaint, so there are times when it's warranted. They still should have charged you the $25 room change fee for the 2nd and 3rd room changes, IMHO, so you were indeed fortuneate.

I didn't know about that charge. Since this was the second time using my vacation points, I guess you could say I was a "virgin". Yes, I think I have learned my lesson and plan on using this as experience points for the future. I promise not to make the same mistake twice.

Thank you so much for all of your views.

P.S. If if meant paying the additional charge, then I would have gladly paid it. No comments about that.

Scrufsmom I think you are experiencing some annoyance of others who requested a boardwalk view and didn't get one.

It is understandable that you weren't aware and you seem like the type of person who follows the rules, but there are LOTS of rules to DVC and it's easy to not be aware of all of them!:confused:

I notice from your number of posts that you are pretty new to this forum. I found this forum right after I joined DVC last March and I am thankful that I had a good 6 months worth of reading posts before my first visit home. I felt comfortable, but I have to say I still feel like nobody can know all there is to know about DVC.

The great thing about this place is that it is full of knowledgeable people so if you stick around I think you'll learn a lot.

If you are ever unsure of anything, just post a question and I'm sure you'll get a quick and accurate response.:D

Scrufsmom -- Please don't take any of this as personal badgering. Your experience and questions are just an example of how many members really don't read the information they are given. When you get a chance read through the Member Guidebook. Really try to absorb what it says, including the highlights they have in many of the margins. This will help you have a clearer picture of things for the future, even if it's just in your "backup memory". Things like how to make requests, how they are honored, extra charges for room changes, towels, soap, etc. are all things members should be aware of and not surprised about. Live and learn.

I also know how much we like to give our parents the "perfect" trip. I'm glad that things did work out for you.

I bet you got a lot more info and opinions than you counted on! LOL! As others have said Boardwalk views are hard to get and 6 months out is not that long and I bet you did bump someone out of a boardwalk view that had booked prior to 6 months because you continued to push the envelope.....but you did not know and now you do so all is forgiven! Welcome to the DIS, you will have any and all valuabe information regarding WDW at your fingertips now! BTW, if you ever get the quiet pool view when you have booked a preferred view, it is really a very nice location, close to the boat dock and walkway to MGM and the quiet pool is usually empty and has a wonderful hot tub, much nicer than the hot tub at Luna Park.

Scrufsmom, you said in one of your posts that you would like to be closer to MK? The only DVC resort that is closer to MK is VWL. Do you own your points there, or do you own at BWV? VWL can be hard to book at the 7 month window, depending on the season. That's why it is so important to buy at the resort you want to stay at most often. If you do own at VWL, you shouldn't have any problems.

And you know that staying in a regular Disney resort, like Grand Floridian, Poly, or Contemporary can often take more points than a roomy 1 bedroom villa...check the point charts

Why are we jumping all over this person? It is obvious she did not read her reservation confirmation and did not realize that requests are not guarantees. I have no idea what MS told her, she did not say, but, sometimes their responses are not all that clear. Part of the "script" should be to the effect that they are happy to note the request but it is not a guarantee.
I am, however, unclear as to how the OP knew the room was not cleaned.
I think we should allow a little slack here, at least she did not request that they hack the heck out of trees. Not everyone reads the material they are given.

Scrufsmom,

I hope you don't let our "attack" discourage you. I think some of us were a little harsh(or maybe just defensive). We're all friends here, and this is definitely the place to learn anything you want to know about DVC. I'm glad your trip was great. I'm also taking my parents with me in June, and would like it to be special for them as well. Good luck with your future planning!

Sheri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter