Can tickets be upgraded to AP? (what about e-tickets?)

maramarrie

Mouseketeer
DH and I already have AP, but the kiddos don't. If I'm able to travel twice with them before school starts in the fall it would be worth it to get AP for them. We just aren't sure if we will get an extra trip, so our plan is to just buy their tickets for our first trip from Undercover Tourist. However, if we determine (before that trip is over) that we will be able to squeeze in another trip this year (or next), can their park hoppers be upgraded to AP? Does it make a difference if I buy their original tickets from UT or Disney?

Last edited:
1. can their park hoppers be upgraded to AP?
2. Does it make a difference if I buy their original tickets from UT or Disney?

1. Yes.
2. Nope.

It looks as though you will not be upgrading until sometime DURING your trip (which is fine)
but know that if your tickets were purchased from a discounter like UT, (or even bought as part of a WDW package) you do want to wait to upgrade until AFTER you have USED those tickets, at least one time, to go into a WDW park.

After that, the price to upgrade will be the difference cost between a new AP... and the full WDW gate price of a new unused ticket of the same type that you originally bought.

Does anyone know if the UT "e-ticket" can also be upgraded, or do I need to have a physical ticket for Disney to do it? It will save me time and money (even on the upgrade) if I purchase from UT with the e-ticket option, but I don't want to be told at guest relations that they won't do it without the RF-ID ticket.

1. Does anyone know if the UT "e-ticket" can also be upgraded, or

2. do I need to have a physical ticket for Disney to do it?

3. It will save me time and money (even on the upgrade) if I purchase from UT with the e-ticket option, but I don't want to be told at guest relations that they won't do it without the RF-ID ticket.

1. I'm anyone, and I know. Yes, it can. ;)
2. An e-Ticket can be easily converted (at no charge) to a hard plastic ticket if you like.
But, if you have your e-Ticket connected in your MDE account, and you have a MagicBand, you don't need to convert the e-Ticket to use it or upgrade it.
3. Be sure to USE your UT ticket to enter a theme park at least one time BEFORE you do the upgrade.

Similar question, can we upgrade to AP if we purchased our tickets through the Magical Vacations Labor Day discount?

I'm booking a similar "magical" deal for November at Coronado Springs and I also plan to get an AP. The great rates for magical deals are possible because they are booked as convention rate hotel rooms and tickets. I asked the magical rep if their discounted tickets can be upgraded to AP and she said they could not. She said I could book room only without buying tickets from them.

Then, I read on All Ears WDW Ticket FAQ that it could be possible to upgrade convention rate tickets. It sounds like you would only get credit for the price paid for the tickets - not the gate price. So no price bridging.

Since there's a chance the tix can't be upgraded, and a chance of no price bridging anyway, I'm just going to buy the AP from WDW. I plan to use my Redcard at Target to save 5% on Disney gift cards to pay for the AP (and hotel).

http://allears.net/pl/ticket.htm#credpass

· Guests wishing to upgrade Magic Your Way Meeting & Convention Tickets to Gate Priced 9-Day, 10-Day or Annual Passes may do so by paying the full price difference between the Magic Your Way Meeting & Convention Ticket price and the ticket of choice. If the Water Park Fun & More visit has been used, then the Guest must purchase a ticket with Water Park Fun & More or a Premium Annual Pass.

I'm booking a similar "magical" deal for November at Coronado Springs and I also plan to get an AP. The great rates for magical deals are possible because they are booked as convention rate hotel rooms and tickets. I asked the magical rep if their discounted tickets can be upgraded to AP and she said they could not. She said I could book room only without buying tickets from them.

Then, I read on All Ears WDW Ticket FAQ that it could be possible to upgrade convention rate tickets. It sounds like you would only get credit for the price paid for the tickets - not the gate price. So no price bridging.

Since there's a chance the tix can't be upgraded, and a chance of no price bridging anyway, I'm just going to buy the AP from WDW. I plan to use my Redcard at Target to save 5% on Disney gift cards to pay for the AP (and hotel).

http://allears.net/pl/ticket.htm#credpass

· Guests wishing to upgrade Magic Your Way Meeting & Convention Tickets to Gate Priced 9-Day, 10-Day or Annual Passes may do so by paying the full price difference between the Magic Your Way Meeting & Convention Ticket price and the ticket of choice. If the Water Park Fun & More visit has been used, then the Guest must purchase a ticket with Water Park Fun & More or a Premium Annual Pass.

Great info, thanks!

Do you mind telling us what the rates of the convention tickets are? I have tried finding them but can't seem to locate:)

TIA

Do you mind telling us what the rates of the convention tickets are? I have tried finding them but can't seem to locate:)

TIA

I got two quotes from them - one with tickets and one room only. They didn't break out the charges but it looks like the convention rate 6 Day Park Hoppers for one person is approximately $372.86. These convention rate tickets also come with one Water Park & More bonus visit.

Prices for a solo trip:

$1176.14 - 6 nights at CS with 6 Day Park Hoppers
$803.28 - 6 nights CS room only

Hope that helps!

ETA: I found a link with the convention rate ticket prices (just have to put in your resort). I don't think the travel agency offers the After 2 and After 4 tickets. https://disneytickets.disney.go.com/store/landing/conventiontickets/landingPage.html

Last edited:
One thing i want to make note of here, just to make sure there aren't any issues because we learned this by accident when we upgraded ours.

If you do decide to upgrade your tickets and wish to use the amount you already paid for them, be sure you speak to guest relations and upgrade BEFORE entering the park on your FINAL ticketed day. If you don't, they wont be able to apply your tickets to the cost because "you've already used up all your ticketed days"

One thing i want to make note of here, just to make sure there aren't any issues because we learned this by accident when we upgraded ours.

If you do decide to upgrade your tickets and wish to use the amount you already paid for them, be sure you speak to guest relations and upgrade BEFORE entering the park on your final ticketed day. If you don't, they wont be able to apply your tickets to the cost because "you've already used up all your ticketed days"

Sorry, but that is not quite true.

Guests can update as late as close-of-business on the same day that they use a ticket's last asset ("day".)
If that were not allowed, guests who had only originally purchased a one-day ticket would not be able to add "days" to that ticket after they had entered a park.

We had a very kind manager assist us and the CM who was upgrading our tickets because she was still "earning her ears" when the manager informed the Cast member of this policy as she showed her how to go about upgrading our tickets.

There may be a different policy for 1-day ticket holders, but that was info I got straight from the mouth of a customer relations manager.

We had a very kind manager assist us and the CM who was upgrading our tickets because she was still "earning her ears" when the manager informed the Cast member of this policy as she showed her how to go about upgrading our tickets.

There may be a different policy for 1-day ticket holders, but that was info I got straight from the mouth of a customer relations manager.
The rule is officially that tickets must have remaining valid admission in order to be upgraded. That is often misinterpretted as having a full day left. You have valid admission until close of business the last day you use a ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter