Can someone talk me OUT of purchasing a DVC membership???

I totally agree! OP, great post and loved reading your initial and later after feedback analysis.

We bought DVC at Disneyland (VGC) the first year it was on sale (mid-90s per point, I think) and are in the camp of having made money on our contract were we to choose to sell. But because we were going to Disneyland 2-3 times a year and always stayed in 2 rooms at the Grand Californian it was an easy decision--we were going to be in the green pretty quickly. We also have a special needs son who *loves* Disney and were pretty sure it would be his #1 vacation choice for years to come. He's 20 now and that holds true. Had there been more high-end property choices at Disneyland to stay at or had my son not been special needs, I doubt we would have done it. But ironically I've gotten into RunDisney lately, and we are in the process of buying more points!

Thanks Californiagirl09 for sharing your experience. You've got me all revved up again. Just wondering are you able to advise me on studio availability at VGC. Is it virtually sold out at the 7 month mark, for January or September stays? ie would you advise paying up and making VGC your home resort if you thought you would be going to DL more than WDW staying in mainly studios and possibly 1 brms? thanks in advance.

Thanks Californiagirl09 for sharing your experience. You've got me all revved up again. Just wondering are you able to advise me on studio availability at VGC. Is it virtually sold out at the 7 month mark, for January or September stays? ie would you advise paying up and making VGC your home resort if you thought you would be going to DL more than WDW staying in mainly studios and possibly 1 brms? thanks in advance.
You need to own at VGC if you plan on staying there most of the time. It's the smallest DVC resort of all.

Yes, agree with deb & bill. From what I understand 7 month availability is tough for all room types, and I think studios are toughest. We have friends that have blt and haven't had much luck at 7 months.

Every DVC resort sells enough points to fill every room every day of the year on home resort points. Rooms become available at that resort to non-owners based on banking of points, or use of those points elsewhere (7 month booking/trade outs). Because VGC is so small, even those trade-outs occur in small numbers.

I use my Marriott Newport Coast Resort Weeks when I go to that area of California. I love Walt Disney World but I don't care for Disneyland. So being on the left side of the country really means skipping Disneyland for other attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter