Can someone please explain fast pass+ ?

peterpanandwendy

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, I've never been to DW, but I keep hearing about fast pass+ coming to Disneyland, and I am SO confused as to what this entails…

All i can figure out is something about having to book fast passes BEFORE you even go on your trip?

Questions:

With Fast Pass + Can you still get fast passes in the park at the fast pass kiosks like the way it is right now, or are you only limited to the ones you booked in advance?

With fast pass+ do you have to book the exact time that you are going to use the fast pass? Or can you use it whenever during the day?

What are the advantages to fast pass +? Why would they want to bring it to California? There HAS to be some advantages, but I am really confused as to what they even are or how they work…

Help!

It isn't at DLR yet, nor has a date been announced or any details. How can we know what it will be like before it exists?

I am tempted at this point to say, don't worry all that much about FP+ because one no knows if the version that may be coming to DLR is going to be anything like the version that is currently being used at WDW. That being said, if you want to know about WDW's FP+ system, check out this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/fa...ed-priorities-and-strategies-part-ii.3326057/

Disclaimer: My answers below are based on the WDW FP+ system, which may or may not look anything like the system that may or may not be implemented at DLR at some point in the future.

With Fast Pass + Can you still get fast passes in the park at the fast pass kiosks like the way it is right now, or are you only limited to the ones you booked in advance?
Yes and no...at WDW, you can still get FP+ from the FP+ kiosks (no longer located at each ride, but in a handful of centralized locations in each park), but availability is much more limited because guests have been booking FP+ times from 60-days out. You can also get FP+s using the MDE App.

With fast pass+ do you have to book the exact time that you are going to use the fast pass? Or can you use it whenever during the day?
Exact times (one hour windows) based on what's still available.

What are the advantages to fast pass +? Why would they want to bring it to California? There HAS to be some advantages, but I am really confused as to what they even are or how they work…
In theory, it will help guests plan out their days in advance. It (in theory) means shorter waits in lines, so you (the guest) can spend more time shopping, dining, etc. FP+ has it's advantages, but it also has issues and will need to be tweaked prior to implementation in DLR. At this point, no one really knows what it'll be like when (if) it's implemented at DLR other than it probably won't be a direct copy of WDW's version.

Stop worrying about FP+ until it's actually announced. There's no credible evidence that it's coming to DLR any time soon.

Thank you figment, for pointing me in the right direction. That is what i was wondering, what it looks like right now in DW. I get that the version may be different in DL, I don't need snarky sarcasm (not from you, from other PP) for asking a simple question.

It's pretty easy. I've done it at WDW. Basically you choose three fast passes for rides you want to do. Once you ride them you can choose a new fast pass and so on. Most people have smartphones and it's more convenient to make your selection from anywhere than to have to physically walk over to a fast pass machine and then come back again later when it's time to ride. They have fast pass + stations sprinkled all over WDW for people who don't have a smart phone or if you want to ask for help with something. You're also not locked in to any thing. There were times I made fast pass + selections and we got busy doing other things. We were able to change our selections as we went.

Thank you figment, for pointing me in the right direction. That is what i was wondering, what it looks like right now in DW. I get that the version may be different in DL, I don't need snarky sarcasm (not from you, from other PP) for asking a simple question.
Honestly, how did you expect anyone to know if FP will still be available in the park when FP+ hasn't been announced? Even if there's a CM here who knows the start date, do you think they're allowed to share it?

I think the best place to talk about something that is at WDW is on a WDW board. Putting it here will just confuse people.

Here is a link to the Touring Plans FP+ FAQ for WDW:

http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/fastpass

As for your questions, these answers shouldl be in the ballpark of being correct:
1) Yes, you pre-book your fastpasses. 60 days out for those staying at a Disney resort, 30 days out for everyone else.

2) Once you use your initial pre-booked fastpasses, you can go to one of the kiosks in the park to book another one, assuming there is still fp availability. you can continue doing this, one fastpass at a time, as long as supplies last. :)

3) Yes, you must book an exact time. You have an hour from that time to enter the ride and activate your fastpass.

4) I guess the main advantage is knowing before you get to the park that you have fastpasses in your pocket, so to speak. I like some aspects of it but there are definitely some undesirable side effects too. Search the attractions and strategies forum here and you will find many, many threads about and opinions on FP+.

Hope that helps.

"Honestly, how did you expect anyone to know if FP will still be available in the park when FP+ hasn't been announced? Even if there's a CM here who knows the start date, do you think they're allowed to share it?

I think the best place to talk about something that is at WDW is on a WDW board. Putting it here will just confuse people."

I don't think I made myself clear then, perhaps…

I keep reading posts on THIS board, the Disneyland board, about fast pass + coming to Disneyland. Everyone is saying "Oh No! It better have big changes before it comes to disneyland…. etc, etc, etc…"

I am super ignorant and have NO CLUE what fast pass + is, so I was just asking if anyone knew about it, and how it would effect Disneyland.

It wasn't that I was wondering if I could still get fast passes in the park right now, I was just wondering how it worked… I kept hearing about people booking fast pass +'s well in advance, and I was just wondering if on the fast pass + system are you limited to the ones you ordered in advance, or can you still get some in the park…. Again, I have no clue what fast pass + is, and when I was reading these boards about it coming to Disneyland I just wanted a little background info on what everyone was talking about.

I don't understand why you are being so rude :(

Stop worrying about FP+ until it's actually announced. There's no credible evidence that it's coming to DLR any time soon.

I don't know about this. For I had taken part in an online Disney survey and it asked about waiting for ride attractions and what one thinks about it. As soon as I read that question I thought omg I do believe I smell fp+ in the future. Blah...

I don't know about this. For I had taken part in an online Disney survey and it asked about waiting for ride attractions and what one thinks about it. As soon as I read that question I thought omg I do believe I smell fp+ in the future. Blah...

I never said that it wouldn't ever come, just that it's not something to worry about right now. Especially since there have been no official announcements or even rumors from the usual insiders from other forums.

OP I was wondering the same thing. I read on this board that it might be coming to Disneyland also. When I was reading a lot of "OH NOs!" it made me a bit concerned too. I have not been to Disneyworld in 22 yrs so I had no clue what fast pass + was. I don't think there is anything wrong with wondering what it is and how it currently works in Disneyworld. If it does come to Disneyland obviously it may be a bit different but at least we can have a basic idea what everyone is talking about. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter