Can someone clarify the MS "Soft" Opening?

CWIPPERMAN

<font color=FF99FF>You don't have to be clever and
OK.... maybe I'm just not "in the loop", but can someone clarify what the term "Soft Opening" at Mission Space means. I am going Sept. 13-20, and I'm curious if it will be open.

I am assuming that it means it will be open - but it may close periodically. Is this correct?

A "Soft Opening" means that the attraction will open at various, unscheduled times. It is used to test and train the new Cast Members, and to test the overall efficency of the attraction.
These openings are usually unannounced and any lucky guests in the immediate attraction area may be selected to try it out.

Also, all this happens prior to the Official Grand Opening.

If I'm not mistaken, Disney has stated that 8/15 is to be the 'preview opening' not a 'soft opening.' I doubt they could announce a Soft Opening 3 months in advance when by Crazy Hakim's definition, a Soft Opening means a new ride is opened at unannounced, unscheduled times.

I suspect that the firm, announced date of 8/15 suggests that Disney reasonably expects M:S to be operating on a fairly consistent basis beginning 8/15, which means we can reasonably expect a somewhat earlier Soft Opening where the ride will be open at unannounced, unscheduled times.

I suspect that the firm, announced date of 8/15 suggests that Disney reasonably expects M:S to be operating on a fairly consistent basis beginning 8/15, which means we can reasonably expect a somewhat earlier Soft Opening where the ride will be open at unannounced, unscheduled times.
I agree. This seems to be a different kind of opening announcement than Disney usually does. It is my impression that M:S will pretty much be up and running on Aug 15, but they will make sure they work out all the kinks and quirks before they have their blow out media event and official grand opening, which I think I heard may be October 9.

It definitely sounds like a bit more than a typical soft opening. Although even soft openings can be surprising. We visited during the Pooh soft opening, and you would have assumed it was officially open, as it ran all day and the lines were always long.

"Preview Opening" is code for "We really got a black eye with Test Track's delays in opening, let's open whatever we have in there that runs, now."

The long-gone M:S countdown clock counted down to late March/early April of 2003. Since the clock disappeared, the "official rumors" have been fairly consistently saying summer-ish, 2003.

The new terminology allows Disney to have an "opening" in the neighborhood of their projected date, with kind of a built-in "out" in case the attraction operates intermittently or at a noticeable capacity reduction due to TT-like technical issues.

It seems that yes, you should be able to ride it in September (barring outright mech failure); although perhaps not as conveniently as you might like.

It also helps with having the ride open without a ceremony since they need to work with the schedules of all of the guests they are having.

Sorry-but the soft opening is in August. But you never know what can happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter