Can resort keys be charged with cash?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by fizz13, May 7, 2007.

1. fizz13

fizz13 <font color=33cc99>Dreams about being stuck on Spa

I know all about putting a credit card down for your room and resort charges, but what if I want to use cash instead? has anybody done this? basically i don't want to worry about carrying cash around so the resort key charging is very attractive to me, but i don't want it to go on a credit card either. So could i just pre-charge my room key with cash?
    Thanks,

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. mommytothreeboys

mommytothreeboys DIS Veteran

You can give cash to the CM at the front desk and it can be put on your card. We did this for our kids so they didn't have to carry cash. It worked out great! :thumbsup2

4. clownfish1452

clownfish1452 DIS Veteran

Wow I did not know this I would love to do this because I hate to carry cash but do not want to use a credit card either. If you put to much money on the card can you get it back before you leave? Or do you have to leave it inn for future trips.

Thank You
    Sarah

5. mommytothreeboys

mommytothreeboys DIS Veteran

You get your cash back at check-out! (Providing you have any of course!!)

6. verchad

verchad Mouseketeer

Money, left over, at the end of a Disney trip? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

7. pat fan

pat fan Sad my tag won't fit :(

They also take Travlers Checks. That is our preferred method because I don't like traveling with a lot of cash (I have a tendency to leave my purse places).

We put down about 1/2 of what we brought, put the rest in the safe and check our balance every couple of days to see if we need to add more. We try and get it within pennies for check out, and we usualy have enough TC's left over to take my parents out to lunch for picking us up at the airport. This year, they are going with us, so no need to take them out to lunch :banana:

8. pednurse

pednurse Hmmm....wonder how long until I can talk DH into g

Do the snack carts and such that don't accept credit cards use the room key charging feature? So if I use the room key to charge, can they do it.....or is it only available for use in the eateries that accept credit cards? Thanks!

9. Simbee3

Simbee3 DIS Veteran

I am not too sure, but I believe the answer to that would be yes. Last year we used our snack credits which were on our room key without a problem at the snack carts.

10. irisbud

irisbud I wished upon a star and... ...Disney Bride in 200

We charged all of the snack that we got on our December trip to our room key. :woohoo:

11. fizz13

Thanks everybody,this is great to know. Btw, any snack cart that has the little DDP logo on it has to take room cards to use the credit so basically anywhere takes the room cards now:goodvibes

12. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy <font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and

Many snack carts now have 'wireless' approval systems that run on batteries.

I know this because one of them.. the batteries were dying when we were charging something to our room. As a result the CM (partly in jest) said.. "It's Year of a Million Dreams.. Have this Coke and a Smile.. On US! "

Probably cuz she was annoyed so much at the machine. ;)

Knox

13. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

You can set up a room charge with a credit card, debit card, travelers checks, cash, even Disney Dollars.

EVERY STATIONARY VENDOR/STORE IN THE THEME PARKS ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS/ROOM CHARGES. The only place within the parks you can't use plastic is the roving vendors, like the people who walk around in front of and behind the parades, selling the usual junk.

14. dennisnlisab96

dennisnlisab96 DIS Veteran

We always put cash on our room...we never charge anything on a credit card.

15. Tissa

Tissa DIS Veteran

Except for the frozen drink place in France at Epcot. They want cash only and I'm happy to give it to them:goodvibes

16. Barb D

Barb D DIS Veteran

The hair wrapping place in MGM would only take cash. Not sure if it's that way for all the hair wrapping places. Also, we didn't have the luck a PP did with a vendor and a broken down card machine. They wanted cash.

17. itchin2go

itchin2go Next trip: March 2016

There are kiosks/snack carts in Epcot that will accept nothing but cash. I know this all too well, because we didn't bring any cash our first day and were shut out of quite a few places. I think it would be a great idea if they WOULD accept room keys, but they don't....

18. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Thanks for those examples ... I learn something new every day!:thumbsup2

19. MBELSANTI

MBELSANTI Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

If you don't want to put down all of your cash, but keep it free, you can put down your credit card when you check in. Then when you check out, you have the option of either putting all of the charges on the credit card, or paying cash or even both to close your account. I have done this as I like to keep the cash for "just in case" instaces that do not take credit.

20. Kazzy1548

Kazzy1548 Listenning to my music, Dreaming about Disney

This may be a dumb question.
    We never did the "put money or credit card on the room key" thing, so i'm wondering what happens if you "misplace" your card, can somebody just take it and buy stuff or do they ask some kind of proof when you purchase something.:confused3

Kazzy:hippie:

21. fizz13

It is possible that someone else could charge stuff, the only proof they have is the signature on the back, so you need to inform your resort FAST if you find it missing, someone could have a nice little spending spree:confused3

The only problem with this is that they don't always wait till the end of your stay to run it through, i've heard anything from every 24 hours, every 48 hours etc. the best way would be to pay the charges every night when you come in from the parks to make sure;)