Can my hubby drop us off at the terminal on his way to return the car?

dskib

DIS Veteran
We're a family if 6 sailing out of port Canaveral. We're driving down the day before in a rented mini-van. I was thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to have him drop us off at the terminal and return the van.

Does that seem right? And if so, what time should he drop us off assuming a check in time of 11am? I I've heard you can only get in after a certain time?

Thanks!

We're a family if 6 sailing out of port Canaveral. We're driving down the day before in a rented mini-van. I was thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to have him drop us off at the terminal and return the van.

Does that seem right? And if so, what time should he drop us off assuming a check in time of 11am? I I've heard you can only get in after a certain time?

Thanks!
The port opens around 10:30. Yes, it's a good idea for him to drop off all of you and the luggage at the terminal and then return the car himself, taking the rental car shuttle back to the port alone. It's much easier for a single person without luggage to get on that shuttle than a party of 6 with bags trying to get on the same shuttle (could take at least 2 or 3 shuttle runs for the group to be able to board the same one).

Be sure he takes his ID with him, to get into the terminal when he returns.

Agree with @PrincessShmoo that this is a good idea. It makes it so much easier since you only have to deal with the luggage once (at the port) rather than twice (the rental office/shuttle and the port). The signage around the port is pretty good so its not too difficult to find your way around.

Just an FYI because we used to do this - they used to let you check in your whole family - even if one of them wasn't there (i.e. returning the car.) This is no longer the case. When he gets to the port, he will have to have his papers (id, passport, etc) and go check in himself. He will still get to use your number for boarding, but this extra check in step is new.

Just an FYI because we used to do this - they used to let you check in your whole family - even if one of them wasn't there (i.e. returning the car.) This is no longer the case. When he gets to the port, he will have to have his papers (id, passport, etc) and go check in himself. He will still get to use your number for boarding, but this extra check in step is new.
Good to know. Thanks.

We chose to all go to the rental place together because I didn't want to be left alone at the port with two young, unpredictable kids. We were prepared to call for a cab if we couldn't all get on an early shuttle due to reports on here of it being more difficult if you weren't a single person with no luggage.
We were at Budget around 9:30 to drop off our car. They wouldn't let us get on the shuttle until 10 bc port wasn't open. We brought kids to the restroom and fed them a snack. Right at 10, our family of 4 got on the shuttle with luggage and no difficulty and it left for the port a few minutes later. There was only one other family waiting and they got on as well. So that first shuttle to port left half empty. The driver helped load our luggage into and off of the shuttle and there were porters there to take the bags right when we arrived at the port, it really was painless. I would do it again this way next time.

We chose to all go to the rental place together because I didn't want to be left alone at the port with two young, unpredictable kids.

While I totally get that *feeling*, on the other hand... IMO it's far better to go through to the port, slowly through security (they might be unpredictable, but what a safe place for them to be unpredictable in, vs in a car rental place's *parking lot*?), and then into the terminal? Sit on a bench and wait, or go through the checkin process then sit on a bench and wait, whichever one you want. (if DS had had a sib and the hypothetical sib was like DS when bitty, I would have just sat on benches)

Since you did the process you did, it's comfortable for you, but it still meant you were in a rental place's parking lot and office and bathroom. I'd FAR rather be at the DCL terminal's bathroom. :)

We did it with our four children, Dh dropped us off and went back to hertz. By then the departing cruisers were gone, we just parked ourselves on a bench outside the terminal and waited. It took about 30 minutes.

I couldn't agree more! It was sooo much simpler for my hubby to drop us (and all the bags) off, while he brought the rental back. There were characters at port so lots to see and do while we waited. I agree with bringing snacks because there is nothing to eat if the lil ones get 'hangry'. :)

It's too bad you are no longer able to check in your whole family, while that one person is doing the rental drop off. That made it extra convenient, but only a minor detail.

We've done this. I dropped off the family at the port and brought the car back. They were not going inside yet and there was a line building up outside. I had enough time to drop off the car and come back on the shuttle. By the time I arrived, the bags had already been collected and it was out time to go in. Works well.

We have never done this. We have 5 people and lots of big luggage and I just drop off the car and hop on the rental company shuttle to the port.....

Know what would be even more awesome? Hubby drops mom at the port with luggage, takes children with to return the car, comes back with the kids (only having to tote their carseats), while mom only has to deal with getting the luggage checked in. Biggest downside to that is kids on the shuttle possibly needing to have their car seats installed, which adds a step that would be avoided with dropping off at the port, but oh the luxury of dealing with the luggage solo!

Know what would be even more awesome? Hubby drops mom at the port with luggage, takes children with to return the car, comes back with the kids (only having to tote their carseats), while mom only has to deal with getting the luggage checked in. Biggest downside to that is kids on the shuttle possibly needing to have their car seats installed, which adds a step that would be avoided with dropping off at the port, but oh the luxury of dealing with the luggage solo!
There really isn't much time where you have to deal with the luggage. As soon as you pull up to the curb and get out the porters take your luggage.

We did this the one time we flew. Hubby dropped me and one of the boys off and then he and the other boy returned the car.

We are cruising out of Galveston next month. I am traveling with my DS, my friend and her DD. My friend was going to drop the 3 of us off and then go park the car and return by shuttle. Should we wait and not even check in luggage, because I will have her luggage and DD while she is parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter