Can I use my magic band for Magical Express at the airport?

Magpie

DIS Veteran
I somehow overlooked calling and setting up Magical Express until just yesterday. The cast member on the phone took our flight info and said we'd be "on the list", but we're due to fly out on Saturday, so odds are very good we won't get our booklets or luggage tags in time. I'm not at all concerned about the luggage tags, since we don't check any bags anyway. But normally, we have the ME folks scan the bar codes in our booklet when we arrive at the Magical Express counter.

So, no booklet, but on the other hand, we do have annual passes, and therefore Magic Bands from our previous trip. Am I correct in supposing that all we need to do is scan our Magic Bands at the ME counter?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing other people do this, but my husband isn't convinced and thinks it's going to be a hassle when we get there. ;)

It is all through MB now. I don't even remember getting the bar code in our booklet last time as they only had MB readers.

Yes you will be fine - worse case is that you may have to stop at the desk and get a voucher.

I had to use the bar code last trip as our MB didn't work for some reason. I did have the paperwork with the information on our arrival and departure with me and this had a bar code. The cart just before you board has a MB reader and a bar code reader.

My sister didn't have the paperwork or MB as she arrived a day later, the DME desk just issued her a voucher with a bar code.

In short as long as you have advance reservations and you are a guest on the day you want to travel you will be fine.

I somehow overlooked calling and setting up Magical Express until just yesterday. The cast member on the phone took our flight info and said we'd be "on the list", but we're due to fly out on Saturday, so odds are very good we won't get our booklets or luggage tags in time. I'm not at all concerned about the luggage tags, since we don't check any bags anyway. But normally, we have the ME folks scan the bar codes in our booklet when we arrive at the Magical Express counter.

So, no booklet, but on the other hand, we do have annual passes, and therefore Magic Bands from our previous trip. Am I correct in supposing that all we need to do is scan our Magic Bands at the ME counter?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing other people do this, but my husband isn't convinced and thinks it's going to be a hassle when we get there. ;)

They prefer the Magic Band, only want the paper if you don't have a MB to use.

We used our MBs. I had the paper in hand but the MB worked and I didn't have to show the paper.

As long as you have your reservation for DME tied to your resort stay, you're fine.

Thank you, everyone! I read all your responses to my husband and he seems a lot more relaxed about it now. :) I can't wait until we leave!!!

We are planning on doing a "same day" flight change when we go. We're hoping to change our 6:30pm flight to a 7:00am flight. How far in advance would we need to notify Disney if we do in fact get the flight change? We'd be coming in pretty early if we are successful. Thanks!

Using Magic Bands for Magical Express is optional. You should still have paperwork handy in case something electronic goes wrong.

After you have your Magical Express reservation in place, there is no deadline for fine tuning (in case of flight change, etc.). You may omit (skip) the last minute call if some combination of running for planes, dead batteries, long hold times, etc. leaves you with only the six dollar a minute Airfone in the seat back to make that call with.

Using Magic Bands for Magical Express is optional. You should still have paperwork handy in case something electronic goes wrong.

After you have your Magical Express reservation in place, there is no deadline for fine tuning (in case of flight change, etc.). You may omit (skip) the last minute call if some combination of running for planes, dead batteries, long hold times, etc. leaves you with only the six dollar a minute Airfone in the seat back to make that call with.

Well, as we're leaving on Saturday, odds are good we won't have the paperwork, so I'll have to hope nothing electronic goes wrong.

As there doesn't seem to be any way to confirm ME online, all I've got is the word of the phone CM that we're "on the list". ;)

Good to know we don't have to worry about last minute changes, though! Thanks!

You can now add DME through MDX.

Guests would log into MDX. >> Under the MDX tab they would select My Reservations and Tickets. >> They need to click on the hyperlink to the right that says “Change Reservation.” >> Scroll all the way to the bottom next to Ground Transportation click the button that says “ADD. From there they can select Round trip or one way, add flight information and special requests for DME.

We are planning on doing a "same day" flight change when we go. We're hoping to change our 6:30pm flight to a 7:00am flight. How far in advance would we need to notify Disney if we do in fact get the flight change? We'd be coming in pretty early if we are successful. Thanks!

On the inbound it doesn't matter what flight you end up on - DME allows for flight changes, delays and such. You won't have any problems if you get the earlier flight.

On the outbound you would want to make sure DME has the correct information as you are actually scheduled on a bus.

I disagree....

Not really necessary to have anything with you as long as you have made a reservation. As I said up thread the worst that can happen is you have to go to the desk and get a voucher printed. Our MB's didn't show the correct reservation in August and this additional stop took us an additional 5 minutes max!

(and I haven't seen an airphone onboard in years!)

In addition you Do Not have to update your flight arrival info as long as your still arriving on the same day. Your scheduled for a bus any time that day to allow for flight delays and changes.

Plenty of people forget to set up Magical Express before they find themselves in the terminal. It just means an extra step to the welcome desk. No worries.

The hyperlink should be there. Best browser for My Disney Experience is Google Chrome.

Plenty of people forget to set up Magical Express before they find themselves in the terminal. It just means an extra step to the welcome desk. No worries.

The hyperlink should be there. Best browser for My Disney Experience is Google Chrome.

Actually, DME isn't supposed to accept walk-ups - something to do with their contract with the airport.

You can now add DME through MDX.

Guests would log into MDX. >> Under the MDX tab they would select My Reservations and Tickets. >> They need to click on the hyperlink to the right that says “Change Reservation.” >> Scroll all the way to the bottom next to Ground Transportation click the button that says “ADD. From there they can select Round trip or one way, add flight information and special requests for DME.

Thank you SO much!! I followed your steps and there's a nice little bit under "Ground Transportation" that says:

Disney's Magical Express

(Complimentary Airport Transfer Service)
Flight information needed for round-trip transfer

I'm hoping the "Flight information needed for round-trip transfer" part is just a general advisory, not some sort of indication that they have no idea what day we're coming in on. Because there's no "Add" button - just "call to change".

Does everyone in the party need to have their MB's on or just the lead name on the reservation?

Does everyone in the party need to have their MB's on or just the lead name on the reservation?

The MBs aren't necessary at all since people outside the U.S. don't get them ahead of time but are still able to use DME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter