Can I bring a pop-up tent cabana for Castaway Cay?

OMG, count me as one who hopes DCL says, "No." I can't imagine what CC would look like if hundreds of guests start bringing things like that onto the beach, each one different in style, color, and level cleanliness/newness.
:sad2:

I have a bad feeling about this....

I would consider tents to be sporting equipment and since those look a lot like tents, I'd say no, they aren't allowed. There are tons of umbrellas provided and the beach is insanely crowded as is. As for the hammocks, I'm pretty sure they already have hammocks set up on the island.

Final say is actually the CMs onboard and/or at CC. What one is told over the phone is (unfortunately! :headache:) not always accurate.

Agreed, but not ALL the info they give out is bad! lol! :rotfl2:
Additionally if the wind picks up and the tent goes flying...... :sad::beach::scared1::crutches:

I would think it is more about making your day work for you. In our case there are 4 kids 9, 5, 2, and 5 months - I found a pop sun shade that carries like a purse and when taken out pops open - no fuss.

There is no floor in it so it's not a tent its a sun shade and you can see through it easily (screen) so it won't block anyone view. My biggest concern would be getting off the ship and not finding a place where I could enjoy myself worried about sun exposure or running after the 2 year old when the 5 month old was being fed.

I say bring what you need - its a beach day!

I can't think of a reason that Disney wouldn't allow it? If it means enough for you to bring it with you - It must be important.

Just my opinion.
Marcy

I had the same question about a small baby pop up tent, and I was told by Disney that yes we could set one up at CC. Our baby tent is just to give 1 year old DD relief from the sun and maybe a nap. Her tent is only 3 ft tall though, I don't know if they would allow a large tent shelter as someone could complain if it was in their viewing area. I wouldn't care but some people might complain.

This is the response I received from Disney. It clearly says a SMALL pop up tent may be used.

2/28/13 Dear Jill, Thank you for choosing another Disney Cruise Line vacation! I would be happy to assist you. A small pop-up beach tent (for infants) may be brought onboard to use at Disney's Castaway Cay. As far as taking this on the excursion at St. Thomas, please check the Port Adventure Desk once onboard for additional assistance. I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to sailing with you and your family in April and June! Have a Magical Day! Wilma Email Guest Services Disney Cruise Line *If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and phone number on all correspondence. PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your sailing.

Saw one on CC this past Sunday. They had it set up among the chairs and loungers. It really wasn't in the way, but if it became a staple for people, I could see it becoming a problem.

We sat next to someone with one. It was small, I would say 2 people could comfortable sit under it-maybe 3 smaller children. The mother told me that her daughter had a skin condition and couldn't take the reflective rays that come in from the sideor bounce up from the ground. The standard umbrella or palm tree wouldn't cut it. It wasn't obstructive at all. They set it up in the third row near Cookies 2 by moving one of the loungers. The other umbrellas in front of us blocked more than their shader.

I wouldn't have an issue with it. Some people are more sensitive to the sun than others. As long as the people using them are respectful about placement then no biggie. These beach shades are usually small and barely fit 2 adults in a sitting position. No more intrusive than a beach umbrella. We take one to California and its wonderful. I wouldn't need or want it at CC but to each their own!

I wish we had of brought ours to Grand Cayman and we will next time. Mine actually comes with bags to fill with sand to hold it down.

I would hate to see pop up tents on CC. Now, a small one like the one that was mentioned for an actual skin condition, yes, but if you have stepped foot on a CA beach in recent years, the pop up tents are everywhere. They wouldn't be so bad if they were towards the back of the beach, but they are everywhere. It makes it difficult to watch your kids and takes away from the beauty of the beach. Basically the beach looked more like a swap meet.

I, too, would be sad if Castaway Cay turns into tent city. It's so beautifull the way it is without clutter. I understand needing to stay out of the sun but the chairs in the back are under the trees and pretty much shaded all the time. Also, I love looking at the water so placement is a huge issue for me as well. I am a fair skinned redhead so I understand the need for shade.

It's a shame that there are so few actual cabanas to rent on CC. They should offer those cabana chairs for rent also. That would be good for a family with napping small children.

I think that if a beach is there for the natural setting it should be designated so and be protected no invasive structures.

If a beach is for the comfort and enjoyment (ie swimming and playing) then I don't mind if sun shades of all different kinds are used to aid in the safety and enjoyment of the patrons. You could just as easily have a family of 10 come and set up in front of you with towels and big floats etc - and that could just as easily impact your day and view.

If Disney put up 20 to 30 of those rounded sunshades - would it be ok then? Then the conversation would prob be about how quick you have to get of the ship to get one lol.

Marcy

The correspondence one poster received from DCL indicates that a popup, the size to hold one infant, would be ok.

I do not believe they will allow anything other than what they indicated. So no tent city coming, lol :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!