Can anyone enlighten me why it takes SO LONG to check in?

we3peas

Mouseketeer
We visited the fort Nov 14-16 this year. We have reservations and sent a request in for which loop we would want. We pulled up to a line of 2 RV's in front of us-one at the booth and one waiting. And waited 45 minutes in a line...I was able to prepare our family lunch, eat it and clean up before we moved forward. What a waste of time!!!!!!It's surprising to me that Disney doesn't move faster on check in. Separate lines might be nice-those who have reservations, those who don't, those in cabins, etc.
I also think making the golf carts part of check in has really slowed the process down. I don't enjoy burning my fuel waiting in line.
Also we got in line at 12:45 pm. So check outs should have happened already and they should have known which sites were available by then.
This is one of the only things I don't enjoy about the Fort. It is not a good 1st impression.

It is the same with EVERY Disney resort. Check in takes FOREVER!! They have to ask if you need tickets, explain your package components, process your room charging, give you a dining folder, etc., etc.

Every other hotel in the country, swipe your card, hand you your key, sign here please, your room is located here: Have a nice day.

Hopefully the online early checkin coming next year will apply to the Fort also!!

I am sorry that this was your first experience at the Fort.

On my last two visits, I noticed that check in has taken a lot longer than it had in the past.

You are correct about part of the delay being consolidating the golf cart rental with the check in process. That is definitely causing the whole process to take longer- and it is not fair to those who are waiting behind someone who is checking in and renting a golf cart at the same time.

Also, they have clearly cut back on personnel. I don't think I ever saw more than two or three check in lanes opened when I was at the Fort last week. Despite there being long lines of folks trying to check in. And, another problem is that they seem to have a lot of new people working in the check in lanes. On my last visit, the lady who checked me in was very nice, and told me that she had worked for Disney for 8 or 9 years, but she had just started working at the Fort. She did not seem to be real familiar with the whole check in process, and although she was a nice as can be, she was slower than molasses in January.

Also, on another lane, the computer went down, and the folks waiting in that line were asked to go inside to check in. And, it was busy in there already. I am glad that didn't happen to me.

Bad show here, Fort management! :(

TCD

I personally think it depends on the folks checking in in front of you, if their newbies they need and will get the whole spiell and they always have questions too. The other factor is the CM, I stayed at the fort 4 times this year and only once did it take almost 45 min and I truely believe it was because the CM was a trainee. Ugh, we had obviously just picked the wrong line.
It seemed to me when I checked in the last time for Thanksgiving it was the speediest of all as it took less than 5min. DH seemed to think it was because the CM could see that we were just there on Labor Day, but I think personally we just had the look and attitude of been there and done that a million times before. Oh and I am sure having a truck full of Christmas decorations didn't hurt, since most experienced FW holiday campers bring that stuff. :santa:

Hopefully your next check in experience will go better, cause your first experience was horriable.

It can be very frustrating. :headache: :headache: :headache:

My husband will drop me off and I will go in while he unloads the golf cart and unhooks the trailer. Most of the time I am still waiting to check in and he is done with all that. It takes a while to get what he is doing done.
I can only imagine the golf carts at check in is making things worse. That was just a bad idea. It should be separate.

Wthose who have reservations, those who don't, those in cabins, etc.

Just a note, VERY FEW will come to the Fort without a reservation cause there just won't be any sites, unless it's for 1 or 2 nights in the middle of the week. Cabin checkin IS directed inside the building.

Just a note, this was not my first experience. I live in Orlando and have camped at the Fort many times. I would say that a 5 min check in is the exception- NOT the rule with Disney. I can only remember one time of our past stays that didn't take at least 20 min to get through only one vehicle ahead of us. And that was because we lucked out and the lane became empty as we pulled up.

Just a note, this was not my first experience. I live in Orlando and have camped at the Fort many times. I would say that a 5 min check in is the exception- NOT the rule with Disney. I can only remember one time of our past stays that didn't take at least 20 min to get through only one vehicle ahead of us. And that was because we lucked out and the lane became empty as we pulled up.

To beat the crowds I usually try to get to check in real early. If you get in line around 11 - 3 it's usually really bad. Like Carol said, hopefully the online check in will help. BTW, I saw you webpage. You've been to some cool places. We like Turkey Lake and want to do Jetty Park sometime soon.

"Good things come to those who wait."
I'm sorry, sometimes I'm just a jerk. I agree with you,,over the many years (as much as I love WDW) I have learned that Disney is a "hurry up and wait" thing,,,from beginning to end. Doubt anything will ever change.

I wonder if this is a big coincidence but I got my survey today from Disney and I was able to tell them how I feel about their check in process. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't but at least I was able to relay the info to them that it is not good business to keep people waiting especially when they are paying big bucks. Hopefully they will take note.....

In my opinion, that is the worst part of FW. Check-in process is a nightmare. It seems like something is always screwed up on my check-in. Since I am here on an extended stay, you would think going down and re-checking in would be an easy process but NOT. Last time I went to check back in again, they were going to place me in another site even though I was guaranteed when I checked in that I would not have to move during my stay. My reservations were all connected through CRO but the site assigner decided to place me in another loop. Took awhile to clear that up and then they added additional charges to my bill and that took days to get resolved. Can't wait to go through it again when this reservation ends and I have to check in again. I can't understand why it has to be such a problem at check in.

I too live near to the Fort & here's what I do to avoid the long check in line....

On check-in day, I just drive over early, walk in, check in, go back home to finish packing. Before I check in I drive around FtW to scout out sites that I would prefer & ask the CM to see if any of the sites I want are available that day. Doing it that way, I've had no problems at check-in. The "worst" problem is I might have to call back later in the day to see what site I've been assigned to - but that's only if we're camping during busy times. When later we go back with the MH, we avoid check-in all together & go directly to our site.

Before I check in I drive around FtW to scout out sites that I would prefer & ask the CM to see if any of the sites I want are available that day.

How do you get in to drive around without having already checked in and received your KTtW?

(BTW, I leave in 24 hrs 19 mins! :banana: :cool1: :dance3: :cool1: :banana: )

Enjoy the trip Shanta, looks as if the weather will be great for you stay.
Even with checkin nightmares where else can you leave the real world but at the Fort.

May the fort always be with you.

I have not had to wait more than 15 minutes or so for check in but at our last stay I pulled to the gate 5 minutes before my Dad and he was checked in and gone 5 minutes before me! We didn't deal with the golf cart at the check in but our CM didn't "have the English" if you know what I mean. That continued though the entire stay with CM's whose #1 responsibility was to exchange information with guests having very strong accents and often not understanding what I was saying. But one evening while sitting in the MK eating ice cream the woman who was responsible for cleaning in front of Winnie the Pooh ride strikes up a conversation with my dad and it turns out she is a college student on sabbatical, very well spoken and intelligent! Why is she sweeping up fantasyland while I need an interpreter to order lunch?

When we were at the Fort in October it didn't seem to take us that long to check in. There was one person in front of us. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think the wait nor the check in time was that long. Of course after driving 1400 miles what's another 15 minutes in the truck. :lmao:

How do you get in to drive around without having already checked in and received your KTtW?

(BTW, I leave in 24 hrs 19 mins! :banana: :cool1: :dance3: :cool1: :banana: )

Shan-

I take the car over first, & tell them at the security gate that I'm checking in. Once past the security gate you have access to the entire Fort. No need for a KTTW card after you're past security.:thumbsup2

Hope to catch up with you while you're here! Safe driving!

I too live near to the Fort & here's what I do to avoid the long check in line....

On check-in day, I just drive over early, walk in, check in, go back home to finish packing. Before I check in I drive around FtW to scout out sites that I would prefer & ask the CM to see if any of the sites I want are available that day. Doing it that way, I've had no problems at check-in. The "worst" problem is I might have to call back later in the day to see what site I've been assigned to - but that's only if we're camping during busy times. When later we go back with the MH, we avoid check-in all together & go directly to our site.

Oh no fair! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter