can a wheelchair fit?

buzz2400

<font color=teal>The TF waves to buzz2400's DS
I am bringing a wheelchair to disney in august and renting a car. We have 3 adults and at least 2 (maybe 3) big pieces of luggage. If I get a full size car, will the wheelchair fit in the trunk and maybe one big piece of luggage. I currently have 5 reservations for rental cars right now cause I don't know what size car I would need. I can't gauge it at home because we have minivans and suvs.

I would get a minvan or SUV I do not think you would want to go and find out it dose not fit. and also it is about a 45 minute drive to disney and I do not think you will be very comptable crampet in a car like that

It depends a lot on the wheelchair and the car. I use a folding chair with wheels and footrests that come off. Mine fits in half of the back seat of my car or I can put it in the passenger front seat. It also fits in my large trunk with a reasonable amount of room for luggage. When I travel long distances I pack an extra wheelchair in the trunk along with all of my luggage.

But gap2368 is probably right. Better to be safe than sorry.

So, a couple of fast questions:

- Are you staying in a WDW Resort Hotel?
- Are you planning on using the car for anything other than going to and from the parks and/or DTD-Disney Springs?

If you are staying on-property, and aren't planning on running around Orlando, then why not just take the Disney Magical Express from the airport? Depending on what your plans are, it may still be better to use Disney Magical Express and call a cab to drive you around Orlando.

We used to drive to WDW, because I am one of those poor souls who has to have her own car with her (I stink at carpooling LOL). The first time we flew in to Orlando, and took DME, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't really "miss" having a car. There is SO much to do at WDW that we never get it all done anyway...!

If you are staying off property, or have other things to do in Orlando, then I would try to rent an SUV or mini-van comparable to what you drive at home. It will not only reduce your stress level to drive a (somewhat) familiar vehicle, but it really does sound like you are going to need that extra space. Most 4-door sedans are simply not going to fit a wheelchair folded flat, and big pieces of luggage too. Trunk sizes are shrinking on cars as many manufacturers shift that space into the passenger cabin.

If you really need to rent a sedan, I would recommend going to a local car dealer, and looking at the model that you are going to rent. Take along a tape measure, and that will definitively answer your question about what will fit.

We use a portable, travel, foldable wheelchair and it fits in our trunk of our Lincoln Town Car. I will tell you that car has one large trunk. Also, we can fit two or three pieces of luggage depending on the size of the luggage. We place the luggage flat on the bottom of the trunk and the wheelchair goes on top of the luggage. Maybe, you can go with smaller luggage in the trunk and have a smaller bag on everyone's lap while traveling. It might not be real comfortable, but it could work that way.

Get dimensions of everything you plan on using including wheelchair, luggage and trunk size and go from there. Keep in mind most luggage can bulk up a little more filled up than unfilled; so, take all of that into consideration, too.

A larger SUV or van would be your safest way to go.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter