Can a Family of Four do Panama City for $1000 in October?

fvols98

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone!

I enjoy these boards so much. You are so knowledgable and I have learned so much just from reading. We are planning a four night trip to Panama City Beach, Florida October 7-11. We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 children ages 6 and 8). We will be eating out a couple of meals, but will be eating mostly in. For all those experts out there, is $1000 unreasonable for a four night stay. I do like nice properties and an indoor pool would be nice, in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

Any suggestions, previous experiences are welcomed. Also we chose PCB since we are only 3 to 3 1/2 hours from there, as opposed to being a lot further from other beach areas.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I enjoy these boards so much. You are so knowledgable and I have learned so much just from reading. We are planning a four night trip to Panama City Beach, Florida October 7-11. We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 children ages 6 and 8). We will be eating out a couple of meals, but will be eating mostly in. For all those experts out there, is $1000 unreasonable for a four night stay. I do like nice properties and an indoor pool would be nice, in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

Any suggestions, previous experiences are welcomed. Also we chose PCB since we are only 3 to 3 1/2 hours from there, as opposed to being a lot further from other beach areas.

Thanks!

Wow, that's a tight budget, including food. I know that the Palmetto has completely torn down their old ratty motel beachside and rebuilt a fancier one, but they kept the section across the street where the indoor pool is. don't know anything about prices though. Sandpiper Beacon, very ratty but a lot of stuff like indoor lazy river is another option. We just got back two weeks ago from Tidewater BEach, really super nice property, new, with two outdoor and an indoor pool. I paid around $1100 for 4 nights, but this is summer rates, and that was a 2 bedroom with a king and 2 queens plus a queen sleeper. They have one bedrooms with a king and a hall bunk alcove with two baths for less. PM me and I can give you some names,

I would check VRBO for rentals. October is the beginning of the Fall discounts, but anything on the beach will still be pricey.

What I like about going through resort quest (old Abbott realty) is they generally include the beach chair rentals for length of stay, which is around $25 a day.

I came up with a $1000, as the initial quotes I have gotten from vrbo.com were in the $600 area for 4 nights. Is food and fun a lot more than typical vacation spots? If so I definitely can allot more. I have never been to PCB and just wanted some inside information.

Thanks everyone!

I think it'd be hard. Especially if you want to go to Gulf World and see the dolphins and do things like that. Panama City is one of the more expensive beaches in my opinion. We always spend a lot there, there is so much to do.

So how much would you factor to budget? Is $1500 a more accurate estimate? Also there are so many places to stay. Any recommendations, personal experiences, etc.

check out www.hipcbeach.com its our fav place to stay. it should be cheaper in October and they have a bed, beach chair and breakfast special.. their breakfast is awesome!

Started going to Panama Beach in 2007; been to Splash, Emerald Beach, Calypso, and Tidewater. Been 2x Sept, 1-Feb, 1-June. Used vrbo.com 3x, TA 1x. The range in prices are wide; negotiate!

We're a family of 4- 2 kids 4 & 6. We ate at a variety of places. A dinner at Margaritaville w/o alcohol was around $78, Pineapple Willy's $68 and $74, Captain Anderson's was $80- these places were the most expensive yet if you were in Panama Beach places people recommended to do at least once. We ate breakfasts and lunches in the condo- got them at Walmart and Publix roughly $100 for 4 days...it's the eating out that will empty your pockets. Look online for the restaurants you're interested in and sometimes menus and prices will give you an idea.

We mostly spent time at the beach/pool. Some places offer umbrella and chair free along with the condo, sometimes not. We went to Gulf World($50), we'd like to do a kids pirate cruise next time. There's outlet malls for us gals, Pier Park(shopping, restaurants), Shell Island(haven't been yet), and other mini attractions along the strip we haven't tried yet.

Your biggest expense is the lodging, then the food. Knock the first way down, then plan how many times you want to go out to eat and that'll determine your next biggest expense. If you're really good, you can do it on 1000. If you want leeway, I think your thought of 1500 is the next best amount.

Good luck, have fun! Loved the no crowds in Sept./Oct!

We love the "new" Panama City Beach, they have torn down the old ratty stuff and built all new condos. We always use vrbo. I agree with other posters the dining out is what cost so much but we love the seafood so we always allow for it. We love Montego Bay on Thomas Drive, Captain Andersons, Angleos and Pineapple Willies for the daiquires ;) We have gone to Panama for the last two years, we are going July 4 for 9 days. We went to Destin before that for years and Panama condo rates are cheaper. Pier Park is great and we ate at Margariteville last year it was good but pricey...but we could have save money buy sharing the portions were huge:eek: I think a budget of more like $1200 - $1500 would be fine. And October weather is wonderful at the beach!

Make sure you ask about getting your money back if a hurricane cancels your trip.

Make sure you ask about getting your money back if a hurricane cancels your trip.

I live about ten minutes from Destin. That's a good idea although hurricanes in October are a rare thing (the season does go into November). We've been here ten years and have never evacuated in October. Ivan was in September and that was our worst one since we've been here.

September and October are my favorite months here - low crowds and perfect weather for the most part. Most of the restaurants (especially locally owned) will run specials too.

Right now (on the other hand) it's a little warm and pretty crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter