Can a complete beginner do the 5K?

MouseDogMom

DIS Veteran
I've never run a day in my life (well, other than P.E. class in college, and that was 20 yrs ago), and last weekend decided I wanted to do the 5K at the Minnie. Am I being totally unrealistic, or is it possible to be ready to run at least part of the way? I'm okay if I have to walk part of it, but I'd like to run more than half. My first week of training has been less than encouraging, but I have been able to get out every day and do a couple of miles of walking/running.

MouseDogMom said:
I've never run a day in my life (well, other than P.E. class in college, and that was 20 yrs ago), and last weekend decided I wanted to do the 5K at the Minnie. Am I being totally unrealistic, or is it possible to be ready to run at least part of the way? I'm okay if I have to walk part of it, but I'd like to run more than half. My first week of training has been less than encouraging, but I have been able to get out every day and do a couple of miles of walking/running.

You should be able to walk it without any problem. I don't think there is even a time limit on it, I wouldn't worry about it. Just start walking some now to get your feet and joints used to the extra activity- have a great time and enjoy it!

Good Luck!

I'm not sure where to find it but there are several "couch to 5k" programs. You definately have enough time to train for it. All of WDW races have a 15 min pace requirement, but on the 5k for the marathon they were not strict with that. My dad cam in at 55 min & they had not closed the course or swept anyone off it. Go for it!!!!

Go for it! Congratulations! on working toward this goal!

I don't know where you are with walking and pace right now, it is possible that you may be able to walk a good part of it. It is possible to mix it up with some wog (jog/walk) combination.

The main thing is to get started, try not to over train. (too much, too fast)

I'm thinking the "worst" that can happen is that you are in the greatest place participating in a great event and you cross the line in a pace "over time limit" and to me that can't be beat! as the "worst" that can happen.

Stop over to the Walking/Running club thread. We are not all elite runners there. You will learn a lot and have fun with the group while stepping out.

I did the math on the pace for you:

15 minutes/mile = 46.5 minutes event time
16 minutes/mile = 49.6 minutes event time
17 minutes/mile = 52.7 minutes event time
18 minutes/mile = 55.8 minutes event time

We all started slowly, don't feel intimidated.

Let us know how you are doing.

Take it from someone who was not, and I repeat, NOT a runner. I joined a Women & Running group last year, trained with them for 10 or 12 weeks, and ran my first 5k in September. Finished in 36:56. Did another one a week later..loved it!! DH and I just start training again, together this time, and we're going to do one in April. Keep in mind, I'm not young...(37 in March, and I'm not thin....163#'s), but it was fun to do and I can't wait to do it again. You can do this!!! :cheer2:

Thanks for the encouragement! DH's first comment was "Can you even run?" but then he got into the coaching part, and he's going to run with me. After just 8 days of training, I already feel better, and today I actually felt good running. And like Tiger Lily said, the worst that can happen is that I've managed to work a trip to WDW into this!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Great news. I now look forward to hearing from you over on the walkers/runners thread. Come on in!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Absolutely, if you are running and not walking you can easliy do a 5K in a great time.

my first was a walk and it took me 46 minutes, I am shooting for a 30 min time this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter