Can a 4 y/o go to Disney World and not use a stroller?

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
I'll be heading down next year with the family, a first for me, and my DD will be 4 when we go. My DD hasn't used a stroller in a long time, so when we go out she walks, or we will sometimes carry her, although she's getting too big for that. I know I'm not going to rent a stroller, just won't do it, and I prefer to not have to take one down and use it. What happens when we all go into a ride? Someone might walk off with it. I'm not saying steal it, but it might look like theirs and that person will walk off with it. Just saying. So is it possible for a 4 y/o to do Disney without a stroller?

Of course a 4 Y/O can go without a stroller....that said, it is A LOT of walking. I took one for DD at 4 and even my DS (7) at the time wanted it by the end of the day.

And we never lost a stroller while there. We marked it with a bandanna to distinguish it from any other strollers. (We also had our last name on the bottom and a "dog tag" with our contact info on it.)

Of course a 4 Y/O can go without a stroller....that said, it is A LOT of walking. I took one for DD at 4 and even my DS (7) at the time wanted it by the end of the day.

And we never lost a stroller while there. We marked it with a bandanna to distinguish it from any other strollers. (We also had our last name on the bottom and a "dog tag" with our contact info on it.)

Thanks for the reply. While I've heard of people putting things on their strollers to distinguish them, I never thought of putting out names on it. I wouldn't bring anything expensive, just a banana stroller, but still.

I agree with henry72. We took my daughter when she was 4, and though she was independent and such a big girl and didn't need the stroller... yeah, by the end of the day on Day 1, we had it. And we had it again, Day 2 and 3 and 4... You get the picture, lol! Truth is, it is way too much walking for those little legs. For every ten paces we take, they take 15. It truly was a much needed expense, and we never lost one either. I wouldn't recommend leaving belongings in one, but thankfully we've never been the target of stroller pilferers!

I agree with henry72. We took my daughter when she was 4, and though she was independent and such a big girl and didn't need the stroller... yeah, by the end of the day on Day 1, we had it. And we had it again, Day 2 and 3 and 4... You get the picture, lol! Truth is, it is way too much walking for those little legs. For every ten paces we take, they take 15. It truly was a much needed expense, and we never lost one either. I wouldn't recommend leaving belongings in one, but thankfully we've never been the target of stroller pilferers!

I know any and all things we purchase would go with us on a ride, which wouldn't be anything big, but still. I guess I will bring ours along. Thanks for responding.

My daughter was 5 and we did not have a stroller. As long as you pace yourself and don't force yourself to stay all day without a early afternoon break it can be done. If you plan on going nonstop then maybe consider it

Can they? Yes. But I don't recommend it. Frankly, I find it borderline cruel to expect a child to hold hands for the entire day. And before anyone jumps down my throat for that comment, hold your hand above your head for an hour. It's exhausting. Add to that, the miles of walking on small, developing legs in the Florida heat day after day and they will be sore and exhausted.

It's a great place for them to rest, to sit for a snack, to watch the parade, to keep track of them as the masses exit the park at night etc.

We always had a stroller and we have never - not one single time - had a single meltdown at Disney. I have always credited the stroller with a huge reason for that. My middle son was 4 on one trip and we had a stroller. He hadn't taken a nap in years (my boys both stopped all naps at age 2, on their own), but he napped every single day in that stroller.

On a visit a few years ago, my best friend and I took her niece, then 3 and a half. She decided not to get a stroller, and boy was it a mistake - she ended up carrying her niece WAY more than she had expected to. Exhausting.

We're taking her again this August - she'll be 6 then - and I'm telling you, my friend is strongly considering renting a stroller for her. I don't know about pushing a 6-year-old in a stroller, frankly, but it's my friend's decision and I won't shame her for it if she goes that way. I'm sure not strong enough to carry the kid around at this point!

I know any and all things we purchase would go with us on a ride, which wouldn't be anything big, but still. I guess I will bring ours along. Thanks for responding.

If you buy something while at the parks they can either send it to your resort (as long as you are staying on site and not checking out the next day) or to package pick up at the entrance of the park. No need to haul a lot of purchases around.

Can they? Yes. But I don't recommend it. Frankly, I find it borderline cruel to expect a child to hold hands for the entire day. And before anyone jumps down my throat for that comment, hold your hand above your head for an hour. It's exhausting. Add to that, the miles of walking on small, developing legs in the Florida heat day after day and they will be sore and exhausted.

It's a great place for them to rest, to sit for a snack, to watch the parade, to keep track of them as the masses exit the park at night etc.

We always had a stroller and we have never - not one single time - had a single meltdown at Disney. I have always credited the stroller with a huge reason for that. My middle son was 4 on one trip and we had a stroller. He hadn't taken a nap in years (my boys both stopped all naps at age 2, on their own), but he napped every single day in that stroller.

I think I will. That'll be a great way for the kiddo to nap during the day. And as others have said, mark it up so we know it's ours.

On a visit a few years ago, my best friend and I took her niece, then 3 and a half. She decided not to get a stroller, and boy was it a mistake - she ended up carrying her niece WAY more than she had expected to. Exhausting.

We're taking her again this August - she'll be 6 then - and I'm telling you, my friend is strongly considering renting a stroller for her. I don't know about pushing a 6-year-old in a stroller, frankly, but it's my friend's decision and I won't shame her for it if she goes that way. I'm sure not strong enough to carry the kid around at this point!

I'm afraid that's what I'm going to wind up doing with my DD.

If you buy something while at the parks they can either send it to your resort (as long as you are staying on site and not checking out the next day) or to package pick up at the entrance of the park. No need to haul a lot of purchases around.

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

We always go to Walmart and pick up a ten dollar umbrella stroller, they pack so easy and we leave it behind when we go. Our four year old barely used it but it was a great way to hang all our purchases.

I know many people carry their kids a bit, but I can only go by my experience. Don't. My 4 yr old nephew ended up hitting his head because his dad didn't want to rent a stroller, and insisted on carrying him instead. :headache: Some of the signs and overhangs are a bit lower than you think. And by that point my brother in law was already complaining about how much he had to carry my nephew, it made him hot and tired too.

I know many people carry their kids a bit, but I can only go by my experience. Don't. My 4 yr old nephew ended up hitting his head because his dad didn't want to rent a stroller, and insisted on carrying him instead. :headache: Some of the signs and overhangs are a bit lower than you think. And by that point my brother in law was already complaining about how much he had to carry my nephew, it made him hot and tired too.

When my DH was with us, my little DGD's little feet neve needed to touch the ground. She was firmly and comfortable ensconced in Pa's loving arms. The strolle was along for the ride. Different story when he was not with us. She either strolled or walked. SOme of us are not Paul Bunyan! LOL!!!

If you choose not to take a stroller, plan to go much slower, avoid crowds as much as possible, take frequent breaks as well as an afternoon break and budget to rent park strollers just in case. DS never used one after he turned 5 BUT we go slow, and take frequent breaks AND we always go winter....summer is much different.

Yes they could do it, but why would you want them to? What is your aversion to renting one? We LOVED renting one. It's nice not to have to deal with it on our flights and it's just ready when we get there.

I've been taking my son since he was 2 1/2 (he's 36 now) and the first time we rented a Disney stroller toward the end of the day once or twice but most of the time he walked. After that he never went in a stroller. He hated them, even when he couldn't walk he hated them. The first trip he was too tired to object, after that there was no way he was getting in one. As far as holding hands, I'm a single mom so we had a system worked out early on. Sometimes he held my hand, sometimes he held onto a part of my clothes, as long as I could feel that little tug on the bottom of my shirt or dress or pants legs, I knew he was holding on and his arm was not up in the air. He learned very on to walk close to me and not run off so unless it was jam packed crowded, he didn't have to hold on, he did have to when it was crowded. We always went slow and stopped often for him to sit on benches (or jump on benches). We always stayed on site and back then the only resorts on site were the MK ones so we would always go back to the room mid day and he could rest, not always a nap sometimes it was at the pool. So, yes it's possible,, it's just up to your kid.

My ds was 4 on his first trip and we didn't use a stroller and he was fine. I think it depends on your child, and your touring style. We don't do commando, if we were walking and ds got tired we find a place to rest, get some ice cream or whatever. He's pretty stubborn and wouldn't have gone in a stroller so no reason to make him. I think you have to decide if your dd can handle the walking, if not just buy a cheap umbrella stroller when there, and "donate" to another family when you leave.

I agree - bring it! We took our oldest at 4.5 and he was in the stroller by the end of the day. When he was walking we used it mostly for our bags (it was nice to have somewhere to put our small soft cooler, water bottles, etc... He probably didn't *need* it, but it was sure nice to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter