camping food ideas

rsjj

DIS Veteran
we are going camping for the very first time...anyone have any ideas about what to bring for food? i need side dish ideas, dessert ideas, etc. or any food ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you in advance! :flower:

It depends on how long you go and what your camping with. Tent or camper? Hamburgers and hot dogs and steaks are great. Coldcuts are great for lunches and there are alot of salads you can bring. If using coolers be sure to bring 2- One for meat and parishables and another for drinks.

We love camping!! We leave Friday for a week in the mountains - can't wait!! :woohoo:

We have a little Coleman stove that we always bring. We pick up various meats along the way. Hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, chicken breast.... It's all good! Sometimes we have chili, Manwich, Hamburger Helper or Dinty Moore stew. Canned veggies are always easy, or instant mashed potatoes, or if you like rice there are lots of flavored rice mixes that only require water.

Basically anything that is in a box, in a can or is purchased that day is fair game for campground cooking!

For breakfast it's always pancakes and coffee. You can get little bottles of Bisquick pancake mix that you add water to, shake, and pour right into the pan. Very handy!! Or just bring a "just add water mix" and a bowl and wash up when you're done.

For dessert, well, it depends on how much work you want to put into it. My mother used to bring a dutch oven and actually baked cakes for us. Talk about spoiled!

But for me it's just not camping without S'mores and Jiffy Pop! :teeth:

DH & I go camping in just a van with a bed. We use a camp stove & table top BBQ. We also use one cooler for beverages and one for the food. I usually cook anything I would cook at home. I'm not a huge fan of hamburgers & hotdogs so we usually have cold cut buns for lunch, steaks, stirfry, spaghetti, tacos or whatever. I do as much prep at home as possible (ie:cut up veggies, sp. sauce etc). For ice I use milk jugs or pop bottles filled with water & frozen, that way as it melts your food isn't swimming in water. If you have a BBQ a recipe I use is cut up bite size potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms (or whatever you like), some spices and margarine all wrapped in a tinfoil package.

We used to take along those irons that go in the fire for pies. Sorry, I don't know what they are called. We each had our own and we would make ham and cheese sandwiches, pizza sand. and at night we would put pie filling in them for a dessert. They were so good!
Deb

thank you everyone, for all your ideas & suggestions. we leave in a day. only there for the weekend. but gosh, there are so much more to pack besides just clothes into our luggage!! i appreciate all your thoughts! again, thank you! :flower:

We made kabobs on our last camping trip. I cut up the meat at home and marinated it in huge Ziploc bags and threw them in the cooler. We had a great time sitting around the picnic table assembling the kabobs (which you could probably pre-assemble before you left home). We cooked them on the grill. The only down side is if you don't have a bathroom nearby you can't touch anything until you get to one to wash your hands because of the raw meat.

Hope you have fun on your trip!! :banana: :banana:

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was just coming over here to check out any easy recipes for when we are camping. We have a camp stove-- but I'm not bringing it. It never gets used. Rather I'm thinking of bringing the crock pot this time. We'll have 7 adults and 2 kids. So, meals will need to go around. We'll be there a week and hot dogs and hamburgers only can be had so much. :)

NeverlandClub23 said:
We made kabobs on our last camping trip. I cut up the meat at home and marinated it in huge Ziploc bags and threw them in the cooler. We had a great time sitting around the picnic table assembling the kabobs (which you could probably pre-assemble before you left home). We cooked them on the grill. The only down side is if you don't have a bathroom nearby you can't touch anything until you get to one to wash your hands because of the raw meat.

Hope you have fun on your trip!! :banana: :banana:
We make kabobs, but I cook the meat first and then all we worry about is getting the veggies or fruit done without burning them. Every try ham, marachino cherries and pineapple? Works great! Especially when camping take s the raw meat worry out of the equation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter