Camping around the US: A list of disboard members favorite campgrounds in the US!

Our #1 CC is on the TN side of the Smoky Mountains National Park.

It's at Elkmont, inside the park going in from Gatlinburg, TN. We always camp by a beautiful creek (river) with lots of rocks and great for floating. We have been camping there since we were married, with our children, once or twice a year. It's very popular though, and should be reserved during the summer months.

FW is a close #2. Been going there since it opened.

Connecticut- Hammonassett beach state park,if you get the right sites:thumbsup2

We're tent campers, but my favorite campground in the world is the KOA in Townsend, Tn.

It's located at the edge of the Smoky Mountain National Park - right at the entrance. It's a short drive into Gatlinburg but without all the Gatlinburg craziness.

The KOA is awesome. We've been going there for years, back before it was a KOA. The people are extraordinarily friendly, it's clean (like spotless), shady, and picturesque. The Little River runs all through the campground. They offer all kinds of activities...movies, hayrides, crafts. We LOVE it there!

And then there is Yellowstone National Park, just about any campground within the park. You can get anything from full hookups to primitive camping. Probably the best vacation we ever had.

I second this!

Hello Everyone!

I have updated the list to reflect everything that members have posted to date. 2013 is a new year and I am looking forward to any new additions we can add to the list!

Does anyone have a campground right on the beach in MD, VA, NJ, or DE?

We just got home from a week long camping trip to Edisto Beach State Park in SC. We love it there and have been going for years. They actually have a beach front campground and another one up the road a little bit in a beautiful Live Oak forest next to a marsh. It is pet friendly and has both tent and rv sites. The state park also has about a 2 mile stretch of pristine beach that is great for shelling, fishing and swimming. It's about 45 minutes south of Charleston which also makes for a great day trip if you get rained out.:hippie:

Oh, and I should definitely add my favorite Ky campgrounds as well. Both are in the Daniel Boone National Forest. One is Koomer Ridge Campground which is right on the edge of the Red River Gorge Geological area and has tons of beautiful trails that lead off from it. The other is Zilpo Campground at Cave Run Lake and is right on the edge of one of the best fishing lakes in the country. Both are very wooded and particularly lovely in the fall or spring.

Oh, and I should definitely add my favorite Ky campgrounds as well. Both are in the Daniel Boone National Forest. One is Koomer Ridge Campground which is right on the edge of the Red River Gorge Geological area and has tons of beautiful trails that lead off from it. The other is Zilpo Campground at Cave Run Lake and is right on the edge of one of the best fishing lakes in the country. Both are very wooded and particularly lovely in the fall or spring.

These are excellent!

I am in love with Ft. Desoto and I know it was mentioned. It is so beautiful. Just this past March my family and I went to Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge on Big Pine Key, Fl.
Its privately run, which I usually do the State Parks but, it is nice. You have to pay extra for electricity but I found I didnt need it and for being in The Keys you can't beat the price. Our site was right on the water with an unobstructed view of the sunset and all the Key Deer you would like, hanging out with us. Don't come expecting privacy but it is still a place I will go back to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter