Camping around the US: A list of disboard members favorite campgrounds in the US!

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Jessica527, Jul 17, 2012.

1. okeydokey

okeydokey <font color=green>Frosty the Snowman scared me as

Thank you for doing this. What a great resource.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. funhouse8

funhouse8 <font color=teal>How can you invest so much money

We loved to camp at Keen Lake Resort Campground in the pa. They have planned activities all day long if you want. My girls loved the pool and my sons loved the lake. I loved that the Bathrooms were always clean. LOL It is in the Poconos so there is a lot for you to do if you choose to leave. We never did, there was always so much going on. :thumbsup2 WWW.keenlake.com

4. Lunchlady

Lunchlady Mouseketeer

We just spent a week at our favorite Myrtle Beach campground. There are lots of campgrounds there but our choice is Ocean Lakes. Always lots to do and they cruise at night in golf carts. Some of them would put my car to shame. We have a hard time getting out to do other things at the beach because there is so much to do there. We are going back Thanksgiving and we booked next year for a week.Thanksgiving at the beach is a tradition with us.They have a huge tree and the campers get to help decorate and you can put on your own ornament. Every year we take new ones and we always have fun finding ours from years past.

5. Butterbunkins

Butterbunkins Mouseketeer

6. jlcw14

jlcw14 Mouseketeer

With the Adirondacks at our back door and the Thousand Islands/ Seaway at our front door, we have been too entertained to stray far for camping, but this list is sure tempting us!!

Our all time favorite is Nick's Lake campground in Old Forge, N.Y.. In the heart of the Adirondacks, the beauty is breathtaking. It is a DEC campground, so the downside is, no electricity hook ups and no motorboats on the lake - paddle and muscle only! It is well worth hauling a genny though. Each loop has a comfort station that has been remodeled in the last 3 years. The village is full of quaint shops and restaurants, and there is a great small water/ fun park there, Enchanted Forest Water Safari. It was open in 1953, and it has grown with the times, while still maintaining its old-time charm.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24485.html

There are many other fine campgrounds in this area, but be warned if you go further up into the Eagle Bay/ Inlet area, you WILL have to deal with the black bears! The rangers do a great job controlling them, but they always found their way into the sites to forage for goodies!

As far as the TI/ seaway, someone alreay mentioned Cedar Point in Clayton, which is the best. We also enjoy the long sault sites (171-199) at Robert Moses SP in Massena, NY (NOT to be confused with the one on LI!). Those particular sites are larger, wooded, and have 30 amp service. Some are directly on the river. You can tour the nearby Eisenhower Locks and power dam. It's very nice!

7. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Missouri here! We have tons and tons of camping, floating, etc...

2 favorites for me....

Huzzah Valley Resort

http://www.huzzahvalley.com/index.php

Bennet Springs

http://mostateparks.com/park/bennett-spring-state-park

1) There is an ban on open burning due to the drought here. Make sure you check the rules before you head out.

2) Help control the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer. Do not bring in firewood if you are from an "infested state".

8. BensDaddy

BensDaddy Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

Thank you. We live in Arkansas and I am always looking for quick, easy getaways or "boys weekends" with my six year old. We just started getting into tent camping in the spring -- too hot, right now, but we will try again in the fall.

9. jlcw14

jlcw14 Mouseketeer

In the same vein as not moving firewood and controlling the spread of the emerald ash borer, don't forget to also clean your boats, canoes, kayaks, before taking them into a new body of water. You may carry critters from one body of water and introduce them to another, damaging the ecosystem. Alot of kayakers simply go through the car wash while the boat is up on the roof rack.

10. Jessica527

Jessica527 Dreaming Disney Every Minute :)

No problem! And I agree, it will be great to know which campgrounds to visit in the states. I can't wait to plan this fall and next year with this list!

11. Jessica527

One of our favorites that we found recently was Montebello Camping & Fishing Resort.

They have everything from full hookup to walk in tent sites.

The best part was they offer horseback riding at a very affordable price, I believe for 2 hours it was $60 for one person. And this isn't just through the flat, easy trails. We rode up and down mountains I would be scared to even walk on. It was a great experience and the guides were excellent!

I highly recommend this as a stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway or if you are visiting Shenandoah and want to go a little further.

Here is the site: http://www.montebellova.com/

It is located in Montebello, VA.

12. bigredbill

bigredbill Go Huskers!

Here in Nebraska, nestled on I-80 between Lincoln and Omaha, you will find Eugene Mahoney State Park. Great campsites and much, much, more. There is a lodge with restaurant, cabins, giant indoor play center, ice-skating in the winter, fishing lake, miles of trails, horseback riding, putt-putt golf, tower, water park, and craft center. Great time for families.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/parks/guides/parksearch/showpark.asp?Area_No=273

13. Jessica527

Renewing the thread because I am thinking camping right now! Any other good places?

14. TX Momof2

TX Momof2 Mouseketeer

Hi all!

My family is tent campers and so far, we've only camped in TX. I'm looking to change that this year. We don't want to drive more than 8 or 9 hours, but I'd love some recommendations for great family camping spots in OK, ARK or TN.

Thanks!

15. BensDaddy

BensDaddy Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

There are some beautiful state parks in AR, but I wouldn't plan to tent camp during the summer. The heat and humidity are oppressive.

16. ahutton

ahutton WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

Our family favorite is the Aspen Campground at Woods Canyon Lake. RV pads but many sites for tents only or very tent friendly. No running water facilities but drinking water and outhouse buildings. Great hiking and the lake is wonderful! Good fishing, boat rentals and a lake store in case you forgot something. The people we met there were incredibly nice.

This is on the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. There are a lot of great attractions near by. The kids still talk about the fish hatchery that was down the street, the Christopher Creek area, and the forestry station and overlook areas.

17. englishteacha

englishteacha <font color=magenta>I've just gotten crazier over

In Maine:
    Lamoine State Park-no hookups but lovely sites and a view of Acadia!
    Smuggler's Den Campground (on Mount Desert Island).

18. minkydog

minkydog DIS Cast Member

Over the Christmas holiday, DH & I went down to Mobile,AL, and Niceville, FL (a couple miles north of Destin.) We stayed 5 days at Meaher SP, which is on HWY 90, between Mobile and Spanish Fort, out on the causeway. OMG, this is such a beatutiful place. Right on the water, fantastic sunsets, lots of boating. No swimming because there are alligators in the Mobile Bay. But the campground is lovely and the bathrooms are immaculate.Full hookups, too. And you can't beat the fresh seafood on the causeway. http://www.alapark.com/meaher/

When we went over to Niceville to visit MIL in the nursing home, we stayed at Rocky Bayou SP which is located right in the middle of the town. It is really Old Florida, with the large water oaks, hanging moss,low growing palmettos, and private, sandy sites. Lots of boating on the bayou, and i've seen people swimming out there but I would not-- it is after all,a BAYOU in FLORIDA. This is a small park with only one loop. Water and electric hookups, very nice bathhouse. It's only a 15 min ride over the Choctawhatchee Bay to the beaches of Destin. I think we paid abotu $17/night, give or take a dollar http://www.floridastateparks.org/rockybayou/

We just discovered Reed Bingham SP in south Georgia. This is a very nice park on a large lake. Lots of fishing going on, boating and a swimming beach.The ground is sandy, rather than red clay *a plus, in my book!* They have two camping loops, one of which they have just put in full hookups. The other loops has electric and water. Very nice playground, too.Reed Bingham SP is about 6 miles off I-75, north of Adel, GA *I think*. When you get out there is it just so quiet and peaceful. The sites are large and most of them are shaded by giant water oaks, with hanging moss. We will definitely go there again!
    http://www.gastateparks.org/ReedBingham

19. Sabeking

Sabeking DIS Veteran

20. kayrosek

kayrosek DIS Veteran

Ooooh I've got a few to add.
    Jellystone RV park in Lawernce Kansas
    Good sites, lots of different size cabins, theme weekends, hay rides with Yogi, bike rentals, outdoor movies, pool, jumping pad, etc.
    Bear Lake KOA Bear Lake/Garden City Utah
    nice sites, close to lake, weekend activities, pool
    Oak Grove/Kansas City KOA Oak Grove, Mo.
    Cabins, pool, mini golf, game room.

21. kayrosek

kayrosek DIS Veteran

Ooooh I've got a few to add.
    Jellystone RV park in Lawernce Kansas
    Good sites, lots of different size cabins, theme weekends, hay rides with Yogi, bike rentals, outdoor movies, pool, jumping pad, etc.
    Bear Lake KOA Bear Lake/Garden City Utah
    nice sites, close to lake, weekend activities, pool
    Oak Grove/Kansas City KOA Oak Grove, Mo.
    Cabins, pool, mini golf, game room.