Camping and charging an ECV

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by mamaloya, Apr 21, 2013.

1. mamaloya

mamaloya <font color=blue>Blows hard and hot and boils us<b

I am currently booked at ASMu but may switch to FW if my teenage daughter decides to join us. My question is this...

I will be in a popup camper and worry about leaving the ECV outside. Would it be OK parked under the awning and covered with a tarp or BBQ grill cover and charging overnight? Could I leave it in my van and take the battery into the camper to charge there? When I camped with my wheelchair, I left it outside under my awning and it was fine but it wasn't electric. I don't want moisture to mess up the ECV.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Carnator

Carnator Mouseketeer

You should not have any problems if you park under an awning and cover with a tarp. Been camping with mine before.

4. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

Bolding is mine....
    This is what I would do if I were you. You only need to charge the battery. It doesn't need to be attached to the scooter to do so. And why would you choose to unload it from the car unless you needed to use it there? This makes the most sense to me. :)

5. Betty Rohrer

Betty Rohrer DIS Veteran

not sure you can charge battery without it being in ECV. i charged under the awning cobvered with trap. even had it rain and it worked for me. charger plugged into ECV not just the battery.

6. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

My model you can....have done it many times. Just have to plug the battery charger into the battery and then into the power source (which would be the outlet). Being connected to the ECV is totally irrelevant. :)

Actually, right before my last trip in march....I brought the battery into the house and charged it in the kitchen because it would charge faster at room temp then it would in our cold garage. And there was no way I'd drag my EVC up the steps into the house from the garage. Cold temps make it harder & slower to charge, not that that will be an issue in FL (or Rarely!! LOL!!)

7. mamaloya

mamaloya <font color=blue>Blows hard and hot and boils us<b

Thanks everyone.