Cameras cameras and more cameras

Disneycrazedmomof2

Earning My Ears
Hello all! I am new to the DISboards and re-new to Disney. My last trip was in 1990. I was a teenager. Here's my question. I am taking my DH, and two DDs (7 & 3) to WDW in September. Which camera do I take. I have a DSLR that I absolutely love, but it's big. I also have a Kodak digital video camera that will also take some stills. (very small) My DH will want her small digital along and will likely let her DM (dear mother) borrow it. But the picture quality on my DSLR is sooo much nicer. I need seasoned veteran opinions please!

I would never dream of going without my DSLR camera. All I would think all trip is about the nice shots I could have gotten. I deal with the weight and bulk of it, and with my 18-200mm lens it's heavy! I have a Black Rapid RS-7 camera strap and I don't even know my camera is there, but when I need it, its right at my side and ready to be grabbed. When we go on a ride involving water, I throw it in a large zip lock that I keep in my back pack

I have a feeling I'd think just like you. "If only I had my camera!" I'll check out that strap. Thanks a bunch! We have one DD3 and one DD7, so I know we'll end up doing a lot of ride switching, etc. on any rides that I might not want it on. (Like big coasters) Thanks again!

Definitely take the DSLR. I imagine that since you own a camera like that, you must enjoy taking pictures right? If that's the case, you'll be kicking yourself for all the shots you could have gotten that the P&S just won't do justice. My DH and I trade off carrying ours and it is definitely worth it!

Enjoy your trip!

I have taken my DSLR and 2 lenses (17-75 & 75-300) for the pays 7 years or so. Wouldn't dream of not having it and it has been on every thing from rockn roller coaster to splash mountain.

The key is to find he right sized backpack, just barely big enough to fit your gear, nothing more. This cuts down on bulk you have to store on rides, yet keeps all your gear snug in the bag. Loose is bad.

I couldn't imagine going without my DSLR - if you bought one, chances are you have at least some passion for photography - so I say bring it. If you have a collection of lenses and are worried about the weight or bulk - consider bringing only 1 or 2 lenses with you for each day depending on the park and the type of shooting you intend - that way you can travel light, essentially with only the DSLR and attached lens or a small bag with an extra lens. You can also take advantage of the lockers to store an extra lens or two, flash, tripod, etc so you have them at the park but don't have to carry them with you everywhere.

Yes, bring it! You will regret it greatly if you don't. As zackiedawg (Justin) stated, depending on what size your kit is, it is fairly easy to determine what you will need in a park on a given day. If you get into a situation that you didn't plan for, you will find a way to make it work, foot zoom, etc.! Since this is your first trip with your family, take snapshots and enjoy the trip. There is nothing like seeing Disney through the eyes of children. I have had the pleasure of my kids and my DGD. I look back at the images and the memories come flooding back. Have a great trip and when you return post some here. We would love to see them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter