Camera suggestion needed...

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by Minnie's Pal, Nov 28, 2012.

1. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

The Nikon D40 was just one example when I browsed eBay. I'd actually vote for the camera I just upgraded from, the Sony Alpha line. Specifically, the A100, A200, and A300 can each be found around your price range. They each have 10+ megapixels, which is really the point where you don't need any more. They also have in-camera image stabilization, meaning you can get some surprisingly good results with cheap used 20-year-old Minolta lenses. (A nice advantage if she wants to add lenses as her interest grows )

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LittleMissMagic

LittleMissMagic Victoria on Vacation

I actually just got some iPhone lenses from Photojojo (it's a really cool camera novelty store and blog). Haven't had the chance to try them out yet, but I have a friend who got the lenses for her study abroad in Italy, and she has fantastic photos. She's a wonderful photographer anyway, but in addition to her DSLR, instead of carrying a P&S, she uses her iPhone with additional lenses.

You have a point with young people either using a DSLR or iPhone, but not many with P&Ss anymore. I got my sister a P&S for her high school graduation (she had asked for it), and I don't think she's used it since her graduation trip. I thought she would take it with her to football games, but of course, who needs a P&S when you are already carrying an iPhone? I think the younger generation also appreciates the quick sharing methods possible with the iPhone.

4. LittleMissMagic

LittleMissMagic Victoria on Vacation

Here's an example of a photo taken with an iPhone 4s with a fisheye lens from Photojojo (credit to my friend Jordan).

[​IMG]

If you're on Instagram and want more examples, you can search #photojojotelephoto, #photojojofisheye, #photojojomacro, or #photojojowideangle.

It might be too novelty for professional photographers, but I think this would be very enjoyable for a teenager and continue to spark her interest in photography.

5. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

I know a few of art photographers who use the add on lenses with their smartphone. It's not what you'd use for commercial work, but you can certainly use it for professional art.