Camera Bag

Lightroom 3 or Aperture 3

• Lightroom 3

• Aperture 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another vote for the Micro Trekker. Really good size, always seem to be able to fit everything in it, not just camera, but ipod, psp, flash, lenses etc etc, which is good when you've got to transport it all from the UK.

Also, I find having a backpack to be much easier than a shoulder bag.

Matt

PoohJen said:
well, that pretty much sums it up. :rolleyes:

Do you like your bag? Why/why not? Recommendations? :wave2:

I have a Tamrac Velocity 7 that I use around town for my Rebel XT and gear. I prefer a sling-type backpack to one with two shoulder straps - it is much easier on my back, plus I can quickly get at the contents without having to take it off.

However, I don't use that when I go to the Parks. The Velocity 7 may be big enough to carry my gear into a park, but there's no room for anything I might want to take out, such as small purchases. For the Parks, I just pack my gear in a larger, general purpose slingpack that I got from Old Navy.

I have a lowepro minitreker, which served it's purpose well, recently upgraded to a rolling backpack bag, after the addition of new gear outgrew the lowepro, the rolling bag is awesome, beats the heck out of carrying a heavy bag,

as a sidenote, in addition to a good bag, I highly recommend a photographers vest, a vest is the best way to do WDW, everything fits in the vest, is easily accessable,weight is distributed well, so it never becomes a burden, no need to figure out what to do with a bag, when going on rides....

I actually keep all my cards, batteries etc in the vest, the bag and vest go everywhere I go, when I herad out to shoot, I transfer my lenses, and flashes if I'm going to need them, into the vest, put on the vest grab the camera, and lock the bag in my car,

it's so convenient, no need to worry about anyone taking anything out of the bag while I'm focused on shooting a sporting event, or whatever it may be at the time...

If anyone is interested in a good price on the bag, or a vest pm me, I've found a few good sources, with great prices..

I usually just carry my camera with sigma 18-200 so I got an op/tech pouch. It is just perfect for little bumps and protection. :thumbsup2 I bought a new op/tech strap too, what a difference it makes on my shoulder. I also have a lowepro mini zoom bag but I use that less and less as I don't like dealing with bag strap and camera strap. I also have a bigger no name camera bag I purchased from Target a couple of years ago, it looks just like a messenger bag, has removable paddings, It holds all my gears, camera, flash, 3 lenses. When I know I will need my flash (like yesterday at my son's swimming lessons) I just adjust the pads and the camera went in the bag with flash and lens all put together.

Sue

one other thought,,

I recommend buying a bag that is a little bigger than you need it to be..for expansion purposes, if you don't already have an external flash, or extra lenses, take those into consideration when buying a bag.

a lot of people buy a bag that is just right for what they currently own, and then have to buy a new bag when they add accessories., having different size bags isn't neccessarily a bad thing, sometimes you might want the full load, other times you might just want the camera and one lens, so it's OK to have a smaller bag that you can just use at times like this, but i know people who have a collection of bags they never use, because everytime they bought a new lens, etc. they bought a bigger bag to accomodate it, but never allowed room for additional purchases..

Mickey88

what is the current maximum size for carry-on bag? The current case I have (Pelican case) was considered to be an okay size as a carry on but now it's no longer okay (supposedly). Or is there a size restriction for camera bag? Because none of the bags out there can fit a body attached with 17-55 f/2.8 IS and another body attached with 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

Kelly Grannell said:
Mickey88

what is the current maximum size for carry-on bag? The current case I have (Pelican case) was considered to be an okay size as a carry on but now it's no longer okay (supposedly). Or is there a size restriction for camera bag? Because none of the bags out there can fit a body attached with 17-55 f/2.8 IS and another body attached with 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

a quick search turned up this page with chart..carry on

not sure what type of bag you want, but the one I just bought from amvona seems to fit the carry on size limits and would hold the 2 cameras with lens as you described..,

another option, is there a reason you need to travel with lens attached to bodies, I've managed to fit 2 bodies in smaller bags by splitting one body and lens and configuring the bag accordingly..

Most airlines list a 22 x 14 x 9 as the maximum carry-on *but* as the plane gets full that can change. I have been boarding and had the attendants tell everyone past a certain point in line that their bags would be checked, all the carry-on space as filled.

My camera gear fits under the seat so I know it can always stay with me but even then the under seat dimensions keep changing, and they are not getting larger. For now it looks like 13 x 19 x 7 may the largest safe size for a camera bag.

boB

boBQuincy said:
Most airlines list a 22 x 14 x 9 as the maximum carry-on *but* as the plane gets full that can change. I have been boarding and had the attendants tell everyone past a certain point in line that their bags would be checked, all the carry-on space as filled.

My camera gear fits under the seat so I know it can always stay with me but even then the under seat dimensions keep changing, and they are not getting larger. For now it looks like 13 x 19 x 7 may the largest safe size for a camera bag.

boB

Looking at your post and Mickey88 link, it seems like there is no real standard anymore. This makes buying a camera bag really difficult. :(

The airlines asked the FAA to set a standard, the FAA said it was up to the individual airlines. For now there is no standard that we can count on. Under the seat space is getting smaller with all the power ports, entertainment systems, and such.

Worse, the luggage manufacturers usually lie... I mean stretch the truth. My wife was buying a new bag for our past trip and most of them measured an inch or two more than what the specs were. Eagle Creek is usually fairly accurate at least.

My carry-on measures 16 x 10 x 10 and for my 'personal' item I carry a LowePro Nova mini or a Crumpler $4M Home with my 10D and primary lens inside. Other lenses, spare body, charger, laptop, etc go in the carry-on.

It fits under the seat even on the mini jets but space is tight, and for someone with a lot of gear it's probably *way* too small.

At least if you fly Southwest and get an 'A' pass you have no trouble finding overhead compartment space. Reserving a seat in the back of the plane usually gets you on first, same idea.

boB

Kelly,
I don't know if you will ever be flying on Southwest, but I can state that on our May trip they were allowing bags that were a *lot* bigger than the stated maximum size to be used as carry-ons. If we had known they were being that lenient, in theory we could have carried every one of our pieces on. There were no open seats to or from MCO and those were some big rolling suitcases!

The thing with me I travel with multiple carriers. Sometimes I fly Japan Air Lines, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Air Canada, WestJet, Garuda International, Cathay Pacific. So I don't know which airline I'll be the next time I travel.

With international travel keeps changing rules and regulations, it makes it hard for me to invest on a very good case. Take for example my Pelican case, now it's too large by about 1.5" to fit any airline template. It used to be for camera equipment, an inch or two larger than maximum size is okay, but now it has to be no larger than the maximum size.

Now I have a Pelican case sitting at home storing camera knick knacks.

MICKEY88 said:
I have a lowepro minitreker, which served it's purpose well, recently upgraded to a rolling backpack bag, after the addition of new gear outgrew the lowepro, the rolling bag is awesome, beats the heck out of carrying a heavy bag,

as a sidenote, in addition to a good bag, I highly recommend a photographers vest, a vest is the best way to do WDW, everything fits in the vest, is easily accessable,weight is distributed well, so it never becomes a burden, no need to figure out what to do with a bag, when going on rides....

I actually keep all my cards, batteries etc in the vest, the bag and vest go everywhere I go, when I herad out to shoot, I transfer my lenses, and flashes if I'm going to need them, into the vest, put on the vest grab the camera, and lock the bag in my car,

it's so convenient, no need to worry about anyone taking anything out of the bag while I'm focused on shooting a sporting event, or whatever it may be at the time...

If anyone is interested in a good price on the bag, or a vest pm me, I've found a few good sources, with great prices..

Excellent points! I came real close to buying a vest in Disney at one of the pin stores in MK. I tried it on and put my gear in it and it fit nicely. I thought the price was kinda high though.

I tried to send a PM, but your box was full. Could you PM me the info if you get a chance.

I got a Tamrac 5684 for Fathers Day, fits my Rebel XT perfectly Plenty of room for extra batteries, memory cards, and a little tube of sunscreen amongst other things. Easy access to the camera, good protection from dust and such when it's zipped up properly

321740.jpg

$30 from B&H or just about anywhere else

Very nice; happy Father's Day, Hokie!

Re: vest... :rotfl2: ...I think it would be sacrilege for me to be so presumptuous as to wear a photographer's vest - I'm just a wannabee!!! In time maybe I'll earn my stripes... :thumbsup2

PoohJen said:
Very nice; happy Father's Day, Hokie!

Re: vest... :rotfl2: ...I think it would be sacrilege for me to be so presumptuous as to wear a photographer's vest - I'm just a wannabee!!! In time maybe I'll earn my stripes... :thumbsup2

a lot of non photographers use phototographers vests for travelling to foreign countries, easy way to keep all of your personal stuff close at hand...

I need extra space for some medical necessities when I go to WDW and I wanted any opinions on this bag.

TIA

Don't ya love when someone responds with an "I don't know..." :teeth:

but wanted to give my 2 cents - I just returned an Adventure 6 b/c too small - I LOVED the camera part, but the bag was too small to carry my paperback book "Field Guide to the Rebel XT"!!!

Now, there was enough room in the 6 for my iPod, Blackberry and a packed lunch, if that helps as to give you an idea of size for the 6.

BTW, you can probably check out the 6 at Circuit City stores (which is where I got mine); but they don't carry the 7 in their stores (I need to order online). :wave:

I bought a 6 and then exchanged it for a 7. The 6 was just a bit to tight a fit for my camera. The 7 fits my 20D and accessories quite nicely in the bottom part. I found it great to travel with on an airplane, fit under the seat nicely and made a great day pack for the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!