Calorie Information on the menus.... What do you think?

I've been counting calories long enough that I can estimate if something is a food bomb. Sometimes I throw myself on it and sometimes I look for fresh greens, often I share with someone. Posted calorie info doesn't sway me one bit. My pants and ring will tell me long before actual fat gain can happen, with the salt/humidity. Feeling like a full tick is an appetite suppressant!

I feel immune to posted calories. It is law here for any chain shop or shop employing more rhan a certain number of people. When I'm watching my weight it helps so I can put things in MFP but when I don't care the knowledge doesn't sway me one way or another.

bad news. I don't mind having it in every day life but not on vacation. I would not mind if it was available to those who seek it out but I don't want to look at it staring me in the face on every menu.

I like it and would love to see even more info, such as sodium. Others have already mentioned carbs, sugar, and fat.

Not sure they can fit all the info myself, and others, would like to see right on the menu. I would like to at least see all the information available somewhere at each location for those that want to see it.

Let's face it - with 68% of adults being either overweight or obese in US, and similar numbers home the general population is not the best to ask should calories be displayed or not. For the good of growing kids it simply should be in your face clear. When ice cream marketed as dessert have more calories then a daily needs of growing teen and if the parents are in the 68% that struggle with their own weight, that teen needs to see that this isn't the calorie of meal ending but what should they eat for the day
Great news I hope they fully update in all counter service locations

when starbucks started adding it is when I stopped ordering from there, was quite a shock when I was happily living in blissful ignorance

If it causes even 1 person to re-evaluate their choice, I am glad to see it

Even on vacation, sometimes it is good to be reminded that there are yummy choices and what it costs :)

I'd rather not have them posted. When I'm on vacation I try as much as possible not to care about how unhealthy the food is I'm eating. The rest of the year I eat healthy. Them posting it I'm going to feel guilty the entire time knowing how bad it is. Ugh!

When I am in Disney my eating habits go out the door. For me I see there are ways to look at the menu and make smarter choices of what to eat. But with all the walking I do there I don't feel so bad its more my poor digestive system gets upset with me with what I eat while there.

That's totally fine - the information should be there so people can make more educated choices. I wish they would show 2 other things which are missing in menus:

1) Sugar content. This can be a terrible thing, more so than calories.
2) Whether food contains alcohol. They often list allergens but alcohol is one and should be clarified. I always have to ask.

I think it's a great idea but highly unlikely that they will. Fatty stuff tastes better and actually the higher the sugar content makes you want it even more. After the food spikes your sugar level you end up burning it off or your sugar level drops you end up craving more. They want you to smell all the sweet smells so it entices you to buy yummy things. The fact they they offer dessert and a slushy/milk shake for lunch and dinner on the dining plan doesn't help either. I pretty much go on vacation eating mode when I'm there and end up gaining ten pounds

Last edited:
Let's face it - with 68% of adults being either overweight or obese in US, and similar numbers home the general population is not the best to ask should calories be displayed or not. For the good of growing kids it simply should be in your face clear. When ice cream marketed as dessert have more calories then a daily needs of growing teen and if the parents are in the 68% that struggle with their own weight, that teen needs to see that this isn't the calorie of meal ending but what should they eat for the day
Great news I hope they fully update in all counter service locations

I think its great for informational purposes, but I hardly think it will make any difference to help with the overweight/obesity problem here. We already have all of that info displayed on every food package in the store and in our home, yet people still buy and eat it without thought.

I think its great for informational purposes, but I hardly think it will make any difference to help with the overweight/obesity problem here. We already have all of that info displayed on every food package in the store and in our home, yet people still buy and eat it without thought.

some do, some don't. I always read the labels and doing my shopping. 100% of the time

That's totally fine - the information should be there so people can make more educated choices. I wish they would show 2 other things which are missing in menus:

1) Sugar content. This can be a terrible thing, more so than calories.
2) Whether food contains alcohol. They often list allergens but alcohol is one and should be clarified. I always have to ask.

Just wondering here but why alcohol? When alcohol is cooked, it's burned off so you would just be getting the flavor of the bourbon or what is used.

I'm glad to have it. I can decide to spluge on one meal or treat, and then eat a bit healthier later on.

I completely agree with this. It's about balance really. Maybe I'll choose a grilled chicken sandwich over a burger if I know that I can eat a cronut later on (or a margarita or 3!). It's true that you walk a lot down there, but 3,000 calories is 3,000 calories!

Just wondering here but why alcohol? When alcohol is cooked, it's burned off so you would just be getting the flavor of the bourbon or what is used.

Because it tastes gross? LOL Only kind of joking. I detest the flavor of anything alcoholic...wine, liquor, and beer is barely tolerable. The only thing it adds to food, for me, as a nasty taste. But that's just me and I admit I'm weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter