Calmer Waters: Mediterranean vs. Caribbean?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by gpts@disney, Oct 19, 2010.

1. gpts@disney

gpts@disney Earning My Ears

For those of who have cruised the Med, are the waters typically calmer than those in the Caribbean? We've been on 2 Western Caribbean's and are thinking of "testing the waters" of the Med, however we have one in our party who is prone to sea sickness. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. xangav

xangav Mouseketeer

For the most part the med did seem quite calm when we went in 2007. However, there was one day when a freak storm blew in and it got pretty choppy. That's when I took a kid's dramamine and it wasn't so bad. I'm really prone to motion sickness as well. Word of advice; stay away from drinks that dehydrate (wine and coffee) and drink more water. :thumbsup2

4. Eeyore3838

Eeyore3838 <font color=deeppink>I love being a Disney nerd!<b

I believe the Med is more calm than the Caribbean

5. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

There is no way to predict sea conditions. If you are prone to motion sickness, as I am, TAKE DRUGS!

6. bats

bats Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Come on over to Europe .. we'll try to keep the seas calm for your friend!;)

We went through the Bay of Biscay this past July and it was a little choppy, but the other Med cruises don't go near it ... give it a whirl and, as others have said, take some tablets if you feel it may be a problem.

Europe is waiting for you!!:thumbsup2

7. SplashMountainManiac

SplashMountainManiac DIS Veteran

Aside from a large storm on our last sea day, the Med was so calm that we never knew we were on a ship. Of course, if any storms roll through, the waters can get rough really fast. Overall, I would say that our Caribbean cruises have been much bumpier then the Med.

8. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel

The water was pretty choppy for most of my Med cruise this past May. There were a couple of days where it was calm (like the extra sea day where they seemed to turn the engines off for a while between Civitavecchia & La Spezia) but for most of it, my stomach was very unsettled, even with the patch. The first few days, people were walking like they were drunk.

Sayhello