Calling all Swan/Dolphin Fans!!!!

ErinSLP

Mouseketeer
Please tell me all about these resorts! Pros, cons, good, bad. We have always stayed at a moderate, but are longing to stay in the Boardwalk area. I read about the teacher discount and we are considering staying there instead. We are thinking about late Jan 2007. Are there alot of conventioners there at this time. ALso, we always get the dining plan. Am I correct in assuming that none of the restauraunts at these two resorts accept the dining plan. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!! :cool1:

I love the area as well. We have stayed at both hotels and have really enjoyed the time. They have several pools and many nice restaurants. Definitely have the most comfortable beds. The boardwalk area is so much fun. Many people have said they don't feel the Disney magic but we always knew we were in Disney. The boats are a great way of getting to Epcot, MGM or simply taking an evening ride.

The Swan is smaller than the Dolphin and they do host quite a few conventions, but they never interfered with our stays. We are trying something new this year, Yacht and Beach Club, so hopfeully we ill enjoy it as much ans Swan and Dolphin.

I'm not sure about the Dining Plan (probably not) however Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk are within walking distance.

ErinSLP said:
Please tell me all about these resorts! Pros, cons, good, bad. We have always stayed at a moderate, but are longing to stay in the Boardwalk area. I read about the teacher discount and we are considering staying there instead. We are thinking about late Jan 2007. Are there alot of conventioners there at this time. ALso, we always get the dining plan. Am I correct in assuming that none of the restauraunts at these two resorts accept the dining plan. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!! :cool1:

Hi Erin

We've stayed at the Swan in 2003 and then the Dolphin in 2005. Both times we had a fantastic stay. They are truely nice resorts. Personally I would choose the Swan/Dolphin over any moderate. No question. How can you go wrong with all the ammenities of a deluxe resort, an awesome pool with waterslide and huge waterfall, walking distance to MGM, Epcot and especially the Boardwalk, bus and boat transportation, really good choice of restaurants, EMH, etc, etc, etc... You can also see illuminations every night from the resort or from your room.

When we went in the summer it was a high convention time but we didn't really notice a lot a conventioners. The conventions are really hidden behind the resort. As for going in January I wouldn't think a second about it.

I don't think the S/D takes part in the Disney dining plan but I could be wrong.

Some people have said that the S/D doesn't give you that Disney feel. IMHO they are way, way off. How could you not get the feeling when you are smack dab in the middle of it all?

Have a great stay at the Swan Dolphin. Make sure when you get to the front desk that you ask for a room with a view of the Epcot fireworks. Oh... you'll have a good time. :)

Andy

ErinSLP said:
ALso, we always get the dining plan. Am I correct in assuming that none of the restauraunts at these two resorts accept the dining plan.

We will be staying at the Dolphin for the first time in a few weeks and are very excited about it! :thumbsup2 So, while I can't give you alot of info since I haven't been there first-hand yet, I can tell you that you can NOT get the dining plan package at all if you stay at either the Swan or Dolphin. Not a big deal for us, but if it's important to you, wanted to make sureyou were aware! :)

We loved our stay at the Dolphin! The rooms are a nice size and the queen sized heavenly beds are wonderful. The location can't be beat. We loved taking the boats to Epcot, MGM and the Boardwalk. We had a balcony room on the East wing and could see Illuminations from our balcony. (We used the government employee discount and then upgraded by using starwood points). The pool area is wonderful. Tubbi's cafeteria was great and we certainly got our money's worth from our refillable mugs.

We love the S/D, the Swan is our favorite resort. Great rooms, great views, great beds, great CM's, great location....

But, as drew2wdw mentioned the DDP is only available if you stay at a WDW owned resort. So, you won't be able to get the DDP if you stay at the S/D...sorry. :guilty:

Unfortunately, they are not offered to participate in some of the WDW programs, like the DDP, ME and room charge backs (except within the S/D resorts). Too bad, because they have some great restaurants.

We are DDE members, but can't use the card there, however it doesn't stop us from eating at many of their restaurants anyway. We still save a lot with our DDE card since we go to WDW a few times a year and eat at the parks as well as many of the other resort restaurants. However, if you become a Starwood Gold member kid's eat free at some of the restaurants at the S/D which is a great perk!

We were there in February of 2004 and had a great time. The weather was great (even a bit nippy), the crowds were minimal and quite honestly even when the S/D is full I really don't notice much since most of the conventioneers are attending their conventions.

Count us in as Swan/Dolphin Lovers!

My Favorite things about the Swan/Dolphin are:
Location! Right in the middle of it all - I love walking in & out of Epcot & MGM. I love knowing that there are many fine restaurants within steps...I love looking out my window or off my balcony over Crescent Lake, Epcot & MGM.
Service - Truly Top Notch Service. I am totally & completely pampered there, the way it used to be at Disney but has slipped over the years
Amenities I know they sound little, but when they add up, it's what makes a resort great. Better quality toiletries, the Best Bed ever! High Quality bedding, thick fluffy towels, the weather on your TV, the ability to rent movies or games in your room....
The Grotto Second only to Stormalong Bay. Maybe even better because it's not as crowded. I love taking my afternoon break poolside in that lovely tropical paradise.
Dining I know S/D are not on the DDP, but that doesn't matter to us. We love good food. Some of our favorites are at the S/D - BlueZoo, Fresh, Palio, Kimonos - Delish

Once you go S/D, it's hard to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!