Calling all stroller experts

dcedwards

DIS Veteran
We've been to DW 4 times with our son who is now 3. Each time we brought our own stroller - but it has always been kinda bulky. I am in the market for a new stroller and am looking for suggestons.

I want something with a canopy (on top for shade), a basket underneath for junk, and one that lays fairly flat so he could take a quick snooze. I also want it to fold up quickly and be fairly lightweight.

Pretty tall order. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Definitely a tall order! We had the same dilemma when we visited WDW recently with our 2 girls. We decided on a Kolcraft double reclining umbrella stroller which had the canopies, reclined (somewhat), was lightweight and folded fairly compactly. The only thing it didn't have was a basket, but we got two mesh stroller bags which attached around the handles. All said, it had almost everything we were looking for but it wasn't the easiest to maneuver. The more maneuverable strollers were much BIGGER and BULKIER. I know Kolcraft makes the same stroller in a single and they have it at Babies R Us if you'd like to try it out. Good luck and if you find the PERFECT one, please let us all know what it is, so we can go out and purchase it!

I, too, wish I had the perfect answer, but all I have is a suggestion: You might want to check out the book "Baby Bargains" by Alan and Denise Fields. They have a whole chapter just on strollers and it is really in-depth as far as features, etc. Might give you some ideas.

Good luck!

~HenryMom

new edition of baby bargains is almost out!

Do a search on maclaren on this board. There are a few posts about those strollers (which sound great!) but others are also mentioned. I seem to remember the chicco 2002 was one of them...

Friends have loved the combi savvy Z. very light & compact.

I am one of the advocates for the MacLaren. However, whichever stroller you choose, I highly recommend getting a mesh basket for the back. Even though a bottom basket is easy to use, when you have more than a couple of things in it the stroller is impossible to fold. I used the bottom basket to hold the rain cover and the mesh basket for everything else.

We have one of the Graco Literiders and really like it. It's not HUGE, and it lays 'fairly' flat (our 3 y/o had not trouble napping in it). It has a nice size basket underneath, also.

I ditto the mesh basket for the back. Although, I used one of those organizers they sell for the car (one that hooks onto the back of one of the front seats). It was only about 8.00 and it had four pockets -- two in the top, then two more under it. One of the top ones held a water bottle perfectly, and the very bottom one was mesh and fit a diaper and wipes in it very easily. I was EASILY able to attach it to the stroller. The stroller bags I have seen are one big bag, which means you're still digging around for the things you need.
Here is an example of one:
http://www.linktothenet.com/06auto/back_seat_org.htm
although this is a 'deluxe' version of what I bought at Wal-Mart.

go check out the strollers by Combi. i have the travel sazzy which is affordable, and folds twice so it reclines, has a canopy and fits in an overhead compartment on a plane. but the basket isnt real big. their convience stroller doesnt fold as small but its lightweight and has a good basket.

IMO i would not worry about the bulk and get something like the century capri, which i ttok to WDW. it has a big basket, and spacious seat and canopy. it reclines fully. and it has a snap on and off trey for the baby with cup holder and a double cup holder up top. these are the essentials of long days at wdw.

Maclarens are good pushchairs but be warned that if you hang a lot of weight on the handles regularly you will damage the chassis and it will become loose.If your rear wheels are wearing down much faster than your front ones it's a sign that you're overloading the pushchair with bags!

I had the same question, and my DD's new Combi Travel Savvy just arrived. I saw out there a few different similar models and found one for around $70. It doesn't recline back quite all the way, but it does recline! It folds like an umbrella stroller, weighs about 10 lbs (I think they might even make a carrying strap for it!), and has a pretty decent canopy. It does have a basket underneath but it seems a little hard to get things in and out of, especially when DD's sitting in the stroller. Combi makes an insulated cup/bottle holder that velcroes (sp?) to the handles, that also has a zippered pocket - I know where my sunglasses will be going! It seems to have more support to it than the inexpensive umbrella stroller I use for quick trips and errands, and I'm hoping DD will be quite comfortable on her first vacation - and that she even takes a nap or two - keep your fingers crossed! Anyway, overall, I'm pretty pleased with it.

One more thing - I also remember seeing when I was shopping around that the Combi travel strollers are supposed to be narrow enough to go right down the aisle on alot of planes. It is much narrower than my Graco Lihtrider, and lower to the ground, too.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

MK 10+ as child
CB '91
DxL '93
DxL '94
CS '96
CB 5/01

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter