Calling All DCL Techies

thdarragh

Mouseketeer
I have a very important question. What is the best way to get internet connectivity while on a DCL trip? I understand there are hotspots on board but I don't know if they reach the staterooms. Using the available computers/laptops is not an option because my kids will want to post their pictures to Instagram and we will want to post our trip details via the various social media outlets. I have the option of just adding a global network package on my Verizon Wireless account for the trip, but I don't know what kind of coverage Verizon has in the Western Caribbean stops. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

There is internet available. It is expensive and very slow.

You are better trying to find free wifi in ports.

Found this:
f your laptop computer is wireless equipped, you can use it onboard. If you don't have a laptop, there are computers available.

Internet services are available aboard the ships with options like Wireless hotspots and Internet cafes. Check with guest services for these locations.

Please Note: Due to the technology involved and satellite connectivity, the onboard internet service will be slower than you may be accustomed to and may at times be interrupted or unavailable. This is particularly true on Sea Days, when there are more people onboard the ship accessing the service.

Internet Rates
Internet/Wireless Internet Access
For sailings less than 7-nights: Pay as you go - $0.75 per minute
50 min for $27.50 ($.55 per minute)
100 min for $40 ($.40 per minute)
250 min for $75 ($.30 per minute)
Internet/Wireless Internet Access
For sailings 7-nights or longer: Pay as you go - $0.75 per minute
100 min for $55.00 ($.55 per minute)
250 min for $100 ($.40 per minute)
500 min for $150 ($.30 per minute)
Internet plans can be used interchangeably on laptops and desktops throughout the ship. Please note, however, that plans cannot be upgraded once purchased, and credit will not be issued for unused plan minutes. Prices are subject to change at any time without notice.

Onboard Email Account
There is an additional charge of $3.95 USD to send an e-mail from your onboard ship e-mail account. There is no charge to receive an e-mail from your onboard e-mail account.

I was on the wonder last week. I bought the 100 minutes for $40. The best wifi spots are up higher on the ship. It is verrrry slow, but it does work (eventually). :)

Thanks. I am not bringing my laptop but my Note II will suffice. I was wondering if I had to go searching for a signal or if, by some Disney magic, the signal reached the staterooms. Didn't want to have to take time to look for a wifi spot on the islands. Not that important, although my girls will disagree! I assume you buy minutes and they supply a password? We are on Deck 10 so I guess it wouldn't be so bad to hit a wifi cafe/hotspot once a day or every couple days. It would just be more convenient if the signal reached the rooms. Thanks again.

The internet is PAINFULLY S.L.O.W. Think Dial up slow. It is a satellite connection and it took my DH about 15 - 30 minutes EACH TIME to download his email. Just download, not read, not answer, not send, just download. And that was with it kicking him off every few minutes. Very painful and very inefficient. I think you are much better finding some wi-fi on the islands and do as much as you can do off line, because otherwise you spend an arm and a leg in internet costs and waste a lot of money. The signal is the same throughout the ship. You may have a better connection in the wee-hours of the night when less people are online, but don't count on it.

I have to respectfully disagree that the signal is the same throughout the ship...definitely better on higher floors. With the 100 minutes, I was able to take care of work email a couple times a day for 5 days with maybe 15 minutes left to surf. Go to guest services and they will give you an info sheet on how to do it - very simple & it is charged to your room.

Internet on the fantasy and dream were much better than on the magic. I found this online and I'm going to try it on our 4 day dream cruise in January. Iphonetrip.com. They send you a SIM card for your phone and for like $16 a day you get 500mb of data per day (thats the unlimited data plan) through the cellular at sea network. 500mb is about half a gigabit. I have a Skype phone number so I can call out to USA unlimited for $2.95 a month and USA can call me for free. Just counts towards megabits. You can text through iMessage on the iPhone for free or via IM on Skype for about 11 cents

I found the access very good on the fantasy and very usable. I was careful though to make sure that I had everything ready to go and only connected to download and then immediately turned it off.

Found this:
(Snip)

Onboard Email Account
There is an additional charge of $3.95 USD to send an e-mail from your onboard ship e-mail account. There is no charge to receive an e-mail from your onboard e-mail account.

Might someone explain how one acquires an on-board e-mail account and how it is accessed/used? Many thanks! :surfweb:

i brought my ipad and bought a plan for 3G through AT&T. Worked great when we were at port. I have used the ship service in the past and it was way too slow.

I'm one of the most techie/online/wired people I've ever met, so this might sound surprising...

Take the opportunity to disconnect. The pictures can be uploaded when y'all get home.

I thought I'd be going through withdrawal convulsions within about 10 minutes of leaving land. I was wrong. The weight of the world just came off my shoulders; I just felt relaxed almost by virtue of knowing I couldn't be reached electronically. Combine that with all the frustrations I've heard about the speed and reliability...yeah, pass. I intentionally didn't even try to use WiFi at the ports we visited. Life would wait.

I'm one of the most techie/online/wired people I've ever met, so this might sound surprising...

Take the opportunity to disconnect. The pictures can be uploaded when y'all get home.

I thought I'd be going through withdrawal convulsions within about 10 minutes of leaving land. I was wrong. The weight of the world just came off my shoulders; I just felt relaxed almost by virtue of knowing I couldn't be reached electronically. Combine that with all the frustrations I've heard about the speed and reliability...yeah, pass. I intentionally didn't even try to use WiFi at the ports we visited. Life would wait.
:thumbsup2

I did that on my cruise in December. Felt great!

Sayhello

The onboard internet is so slow that it wouldn't be unusual to take the kids about a half hour to post one Instagram picture. Not sure you'd want to spend the kind of money it might take to update social media websites. If there's someone at home you need to keep in touch with by e-mail then it can be good for that. But you may not be able to do what you are anticipating, if your family is thinking of providing a running social media account of your cruise.

You should be able to access it in the staterooms though. Sometimes the signal is better in different places onboard.

You may also want to have your kids turn off their phones while onboard, or put them into airplane mode if they want to use the cameras or wifi. If the phones are on they will continue to download and receive apps, texts, whatever, at the very high at-sea roaming rate.

Thanks again, all. My girls are not bringing their phones, just their ipods, and they will definitely be on airplane mode. They will want to post "as they go" pics to Instagram but if it's that kind of connection it is not worth it, unless I am by the pool with some kind of adult beverage in my hand. I don't even have the Facebook or Twitter apps on my phone, so I won't miss it at all.

I thought I heard or read that the vibe had access for the teens? I for one prefer my girls do not post tons of updates while on vacation because I fear it announces we are not home. No need to help plant ideas in the less than honest so to speak.

I thought I heard or read that the vibe had access for the teens? I for one prefer my girls do not post tons of updates while on vacation because I fear it announces we are not home. No need to help plant ideas in the less than honest so to speak.

I hope it's not available in the vibe. I just want DS to be on VACATION and meet some friends. When they are still connected to friends at home, that can monopolize their time.

We had to use the Internet on our last cruise. Left a HUGE gift card at home that we had planned to pay for tips plus some extras. It was with the wifi charges but took us about 20 minutes to sign on and send a pre drafted email.

would I let my kid post pictures and updates that we are away for an extended period of time. They have lots of "friends" on FB that they don't know well at all. It can wait.

I don't do it on my own page either.

I will let them use their ipods on the plane and as a camera, that is it. I always have withdrawl when we are away other places, but in DW I am fine. :)

Tell them how expensive it is and that it is very slow. See if they want to pay for it themselves.

Thanks again, all. My girls are not bringing their phones, just their ipods, and they will definitely be on airplane mode. They will want to post "as they go" pics to Instagram but if it's that kind of connection it is not worth it, unless I am by the pool with some kind of adult beverage in my hand. I don't even have the Facebook or Twitter apps on my phone, so I won't miss it at all.
The people above answered you connection question. I just have input on what we do...:mic:
I have a 16 year old that is connected constantly. The only electronics we do not lock up in the room safe is the Kendell reader for reading books. We use cruises to disconnect him and remind him that you do not have to be connected to participate in life.

The people above answered you connection question. I just have input on what we do...:mic:
I have a 16 year old that is connected constantly. The only electronics we do not lock up in the room safe is the Kendell reader for reading books. We use cruises to disconnect him and remind him that you do not have to be connected to participate in life.

Love that idea of locking them up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter