California surfers-advice please

pittypat

DIS Veteran
We want to make a trip the first week of June to either DL or WDW. My DS19 has been promised some surfing as part of the trip. After inquiring on the other boards, I understand surfing in Florida in June is a waste of time. How about the surf in So. Cal. in early June? Equally horrible?

Hello!! I do not surf, but my hubby has surfed for 35 years.. He will surf here (San Diego) year around, but surfing is much better during the winter months. Waves are much smaller in the summer. The water is warmer tho!!!
So, surfing is still fun in the summer, but it is "long board" surfing due to the smaller waves. I boogie board in the summer and it is great fun. I won't in the winter as the ocean is around 58-64 degrees. BRRRRRR!
So, his favorite spots are Sunset Cliffs, Scripps, and somewhere in Del Mar. If you need more exact descriptions of locals, I can get them from the surfer in the family!! Have fun!!

Thank you grumpyvet!! I know the surfing will not be the very best when we are there, but at least I know there will be something. DS16 prefers the body boarding, so he'll be thrilled.

Glad to be of help!!! I don't have much expertise in most topics on this board, so am quite pleased when I find something that I can answer!!! Have fun!

Agree to Manhattan beach for boggie boarding!

How far is it (time wise) from Manhattan Beach to Huntington Beach? We are staying in Huntington Beach.

Manhattan Beach is quite a ways from Huntington. The surf at Huntington should be just fine for boogie boarding. You never know what you're going to get for California waves. They used to do the OP pro every Labor days and there were years when the waves were HUGE!. But most of the times it will be 3- 5 ft swells. If he is experienced you could go th the wedge in New Port but it can be dangerous. I personally always liked the north side of the pier in HB myself. Now you've gone and made me home sick :sad1: . Oh how I wish I was back in Huntington !!!!!!!

DS18 hasn't had lots and lots of surfing experience, but has surfed some. I guess we will just have to judge the waves the days that we're there. Sounds like everyone is a fun of Huntington Beach. I can't wait to spend some time there!!

Hi there. I grew up in So Cal and although I don't live in San Diego any longer, I can tell you that the beaches in June will be overcast until around noon (typically) and the surf is generally small. However, if it's an experience she's after, you can't go wrong by going to one of the beaches known throughout California for it's surfing heritage. It'll still be fun. I was always one to just spend time at the beach, even if I wasn't surfing because of poor waves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter