California Grill closing for lengthy refurbishment in early 2013

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Coca-Cola, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Coca-Cola

Coca-Cola Mouseketeer

From: http://www.mickeyupdates.com/2012/california-grill-closing-for-lengthy-refurbishment-in-early-2013/

Disney Parks Blog

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. WsPrincess

WsPrincess DIS Veteran

I am so disappointed. This was on my list for our quick February trip. I wanted some place special. Now back to the drawing board

4. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

I'll miss it while it is down, but it is good to hear that they're planning on keeping the sushi and seasonal menus.

5. DsnyMama

DsnyMama DIS Veteran

We had originally planned to go Feb 2013 but moved to Nov/Dec 2012 and I am *SO* glad we did! CG is a must on every trip and we would have been sooo sad to miss it!

6. psac

psac DIS Veteran

We had the worst service there last week of any signature out of about 20-30 sigs (including Cali Grill 5 or 6 times before) from our various trips. Like mind-boggingly bad to point where we complained to the manager, which we've NEVER done in ANY restaurant anywhere before. Hopefully they throw our waiter out in the refurb.

7. Ramsfan28

Ramsfan28 <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

It is still the BEST restaurant at WDW not named V&A's, IMHO.

This should hopefully put to rest the rumors of California Grill be closed for good and based upon the story, it sounds like the refurbishment will freshen things up a bit for those that enjoy the restaurant so much.

8. DonaldDoleWhip

DonaldDoleWhip DIS Veteran

I'm very happy to hear this - California Grill is currently one of my least favorite signatures, so I'm excited to hear that they'll be receiving a new look and some cutting-edge menu enhancements.

9. livinlife25

livinlife25 DIS Veteran

Gah. We are getting there January 5th, but I don't think I can fit it in those first couple of days. We are going to try Artist Point or Fultons instead.

10. XGrumpy1

XGrumpy1 DIS Veteran

Cali Grill has always been one of my favorites. I will miss it while it is gone!

11. Burkelands

Burkelands Earning My Ears

Was hoping to takes the misses to see the fireworks from the grill during marathon weekend. Not too pleased. Guess it'll have to be the trip after.

12. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

Glad to hear about the refurb... just will miss it next summer. I wonder if they will bring back the pork tenderloin?? :upsidedow

13. HadesTX

HadesTX Whoa. Is my hair out?

Glad we finally got to eat there last fall... the filet was the best steak I'd ever had, hands down. DH should have listened & got the sauce on the side like I did... he didn't like it because of the sauce. :goodvibes

Can't wait to try it after the refurb.

14. kiwitinkerbell

kiwitinkerbell kiwigirl

Yay, just booked it for dec 19! Just love watching wishes from there

15. AvasMommy526

AvasMommy526 Mouseketeer

I just saw this and I'm bummed! We are going in May (getting married down there, Disneymooning and celebrating DD 2nd bday :love:) and we were looking forward to having a mommy and daddy dinner at CG and seeing Wishes! Ah well, next time! Going to do Le Cellier and see Illuminations instead :goodvibes

16. labfan

labfan Mouseketeer

We were hoping to go there for the first time next May.
    Good excuse to plan another trip to try it out. ;)

17. thesupersmartguy

thesupersmartguy DIS Veteran

I agree, the CG needs some updating. I visited the CG for dinner tonight and confirmed they will be closing on Jan 6th, 2013 and it will be a 6-9 month refurb. I eagerly await to see what they do with the space. I will miss it while it's closed as it is my primary dinner spot. Guess its time to explore other restaurants!

18. GeorgeG

GeorgeG <font color=blue>Stumped for 2005<br><font color=r

Rumor has it the new restaurant is going to be a Taco Bell... popcorn::

19. Chef Louis

Chef Louis Earning My Ears

FWIW you can book Cali Grill up to Feb 1st. Not sure if the closure got pushed back or a computer glitch.

20. livinlife25

livinlife25 DIS Veteran

Someone said elsewhere that it was pushed back to February

21. jalpert

jalpert Mouseketeer

It's very probable, but I cannot find a single place this has been confirmed officially.

The best evidence I read was a poser here who actually dined at the CG and asked the waiter about the refurb and the waiter said it was pushed to February.

I'd be great if someone chimed in with an official source though.