California Dazzling: A Roadtrip Vacation Spectacular - Last Update and Final Thoughts 11/8

A Meet and a Meal - Part 1

August 9: Disneyland, DISmeet with Alison and Fran, Club 33

After a late night the day before (including nearly falling asleep while standing up…) I slept in that morning and got up around 9 a.m. My plan for today was to go for another run and I put on my running clothes. Then I ventured out and already had a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Today was our first scheduled housekeeping day. If you stay at a DVC property as a DVC member you don’t get daily housekeeping. The schedule is that you get service on day 4, day 8, day 12 and so on and your arrival day counts as day 1. If you are staying shorter than 7 days, your first cleaning is only a so called “trash and towel” service. That means that they are exactly just doing that: giving you new towels (and supposedly also new toiletries) and taking out the trash. If you stay more than seven nights, the first housekeeping service is a full clean, and then the second one is only trash and towel (and then repeating the rhythm from there).

To be honest, this is maybe my only real complaint that I have about DVC. I guess that's one aspect of the "home away from home" concept that I don't like! I love my room being cleaned on a regular basis! That’s why when I bought DVC I was even factoring into my calculations spending money on additional full cleanings. You can get them, but they cost money. 30$ for a studio, 45$ for a one-bedroom. And for this trip I planned to get one later on.

However, today was the day for our first, included, full cleaning. And when I left the room, there were plenty of baskets around with linens and towels in front of many rooms. But not in front of ours. So, I was a bit scared that they might miss us. I went down to the front desk and inquired about that and they called housekeeping for me and assured me that we were on schedule for a full clean today and that the baskets really don’t mean anything. I was a little less concerned – and it turned out to work out, we came back to the room later that day and it was fully cleaned.

I can only add that the lack of daily housekeeping is a big complaint from yours truly too. I realize it is the timeshare industry standard, so it isn't as if Disney is any worse. But one of the things I like about vacationing is coming 'home' to a room that has been thoroughly cleaned each and every day. I can be messy and let's not even talk about M here! ;-) Especially in a small studio, you really notice when things aren't taken care of daily.

Since I got up later, I knew it would be pretty crowded on the walkways and it was also starting to get rather hot outside, so I decided to use the tread mill in the fitness center for my run.

DSC09316.jpg

The Eureka Fitness Center is easy to find for DVC guests as it is along the walkway from the DVC building to the lobby. It is not very large, but has a good selection of stuff. I think it was at about four treadmills and lots of other machines. They also have a bowl with apples, towels and water in there.

I'd love to say I spent time in here each and every day working out. But then I'd be lying and one of the very worst things you can do in life is lie in a trip report. It's just under ''Kill Your Annoying Neighbors' on the Worst Things in Life List. So, I'll say I walked in to the place at least once. I'll also say that I recently went on a short trip to Orlando sans M and stayed at the Hyatt (formerly the Peabody) for the first time. I was very impressed with the entire place. It may well be the best place I have stayed in Orlando from the PoV of room quality, resort amenities and guest service. But it absolutely has the largest and best workout facility I have ever encountered in ANY hotel/resort in ANY place in the world. I've seen gyms that you'd pay a monthly fee to join that can't claim a facility half as large. ... anyway, back to your regularly scheduled report!

I was happy to see that the treadmills were the same ones they had on the Wonder. Those have programs where you can run through different environments. On the Wonder I had so much fun to run through Germany and I decided to do that again! The best part is when I got to run through my own hometown, Nuremberg:

IMG_1599.jpg

After a nice run I was ready for some breakfast and decided to see what I could find at Whitewater Snacks, the counter service restaurant at the Grand Californian. I decided on some tea and oatmeal with blueberries. While there I noticed the Coke Freestyle machines that Michael loves:

IMG_1600.jpg

I settled down with my oatmeal which looked very pretty with a nice portion of blueberries on top! I added some brown sugar and then started to mix it before I remembered to take a picture!!

IMG_1602.jpg

Yes, the blueberries were already drowned…

I really liked it and it seemed a fairly healthy breakfast.

After my breakfast I quickly hopped up to our room to get out the bag that I had prepared the evening before with my swim suit and other “pool supplies”. I then proceeded to use the changing room at the pool to change and take a brief shower – yes I am that considerate and tried my best to not wake up Michael! – and then found a spot at the pool and worked on my trip notes.

I can't recall whether she woke me up or not. I know there were times when she did and others when she didn't.

I really love the pool here – mainly because of the comfy padded pool loungers!

So long as there isn't a dirty, full diaper tossed behind one near the jacuzzi. EEEEK! Yes, it happened. No, M wasn't aware of it until she read these very comments. ... People are pigs. Commentary over ... for now.

At 11 a.m., I quickly went upstairs to wake up Michael and then returned to the pool for some more pool fun. I did swim quite a bit and had the pools nearly to myself for most of the morning. It was wonderful! Michael came out to our balcony while I was in the pool and we waved at each other. I was surprised that he did not chose to come down

At 12 p.m. I went up to have a proper shower and get ready for lunch. Lunch was going to be the main event of the day! We are really lucky that some friends of ours were able to arrange for us to get a reservation at Club 33. This is a restaurant inside DL that is only open to members of Club 33 and those for whom members make a reservation. Originally it was planned by Walt Disney as a secret place to host foreign dignitaries and corporate sponsors of Disneyland, but it then was turned into a club with membership. Membership is quite exclusive. Club 33 used to be very hidden in New Orleans Square, but it got recently refurbished and now is much more obvious from the outside…

It also has not been a secret largely for the last 15 years due to the Internet and people talking about it. And even some unscrupulous members (or ex-members) making a membership into a for profit business enterprise and making hundreds of reservations a year for total strangers. Disney has been very active on cracking down on that stuff in the last year or so.

Anyway, it is something very special to have the opportunity to dine there, and we were very happy to be able to share this with the friends that were part of this trip! So we had a really large group with Michael and me, Michael’s brother, Thing 1 and Thing 2 and also Alison and Fran!

We all met in the lobby of the Grand Californian, I think at around 1:15 p.m. or so and then headed out to Disneyland. This was my first experience of going through a crowd with someone in a scooter, both Alison and Fran use them. I have to say that this was quite an eye opener to me! Every little thing that you as a pedestrian can just step around becomes an obstacle for a scooter. People suddenly stepping into the way etc. really are an issue. I was even a bit embarrassed about how I might have caused trouble for other scooter drivers in the past and vowed to myself to be more observant in the future!

It was also really great to meet Alison in person and to get to know Fran. I think it is so amazing how quickly one is at ease with the DIS friends when one meets them in real life!

They were very nice, but also quite cool and interesting. I think that is important because you can meet nice people who are boring as white bread (or American cheese for those reading in Germany). Alison and Fran are the opposite of boring. They are ... dare I say ... fascinating ... and I look forward to many more fun times together in the years ahead! (OK, Alison, you have my address to send that check, right? ;-) )

Disneyland was pretty crowded:

DSC08759.jpg

I tried to take some pictures along the way, but this is the only one that was somewhat decent:

DSC08760.jpg

It is the Jolly Holiday Bakery, a counter service restaurant along the hub between Main Street and Adventureland. They have lots of desserts, but also some nice sandwiches and other things.

We proceeded through Adventureland and into New Orleans Square and then stopped at this door:

DSC08766.jpg

After ringing the bell and letting them know that we had a reservation, we were asked into a lovely little courtyard:

DSC08767.jpg

Until recently this courtyard was accessible for everyone, tucked away in New Orleans Square, doing nothing besides being very pretty and being the perfect location for romantic proposals at DL. It was one of those lovely nooks that make Disneyland so charming. The Magic Kingdom is far more utilitarian than DL, it was developed to handle large masses of people and in the process some of that charm of DL got lost. When building DLP they took the lessons from both approaches and combined them into a park that handles large masses of people very well, but also is full of that charm of DL. That’s why, in my opinion DLP is the “castle park” with the best overall design.

There was an uproar on the internet that the little courtyard – Court des Anges – was taken away from the public and I felt very privileged to be able to step inside.

DSC08768.jpg

DSC08769.jpg

It was very nice to be back in the Court of Angels. While I loved Club 33 and the new look is quite nice, I don't agree with taking spots like this away from regular Guests. The Court had been there and open for all from 1966 to 2013.

In one corner there was some cucumber water, which we enjoyed while waiting to be called for our table. Above the “water area” was this lovely light fixture:

DSC08770.jpg

We also used that time to take some pictures and here are the ones that only involve those people who don’t oppose their picture being posted online:

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

(these were taken with Alison’s camera and I have to say thanks to Alison for giving me all her pictures from that day!!)

Then it was time to go up the stairs into the lobby area of the restaurant itself.

DSC08773.jpg

DSC08772.jpg

In the lobby is also this case with Club 33 merchandise on display:

DSC08771.jpg

I think nearly everyone of us got something out of that case in the end.

We were then led to our long table for 7 that was beautifully set:

DSC08776.jpg

I am sorry that I do not have any pictures of the room as there were other parties eating when we arrived and it did not feel like the type of atmosphere to take pictures of the other guests (who would be in the pictures just by being present in the room).

Our lovely server handed out menus to everyone:

DSC08779.jpg

And a few drink menus for the table as well:

DSC08779.jpg

The brown one on top is the drink menu. Those were really pretty on the outside as well on the inside:

DSC08777.jpg

For lunch you can either order a three course or four course menu. Every course has several options that you can choose from. We took some time discussing the different options amongst us and took some time deciding on drinks and then we were ready to order.

After we had all managed to order everything I decided to go and use the bathroom and in the hallway on the way back I got a chance to visit with Chuck and Dave:

DSC08792.jpg

The hallway is actually a little bridge that you can see when walking through New Orleans Square. And when they did not have any guests to greet (the restaurant was not very full at all), they would wave out of the window. This hallway and window is one of the new additions to Club 33 that are so criticized. And Michael commented on that he thought it a bit tacky to have the chipmunks wave from a place that is inaccessible for other park guests.

It IS tacky. Club 33's original charm -- and conceit -- was that it was tucked away in secret and you really would be hardpressed to notice it above NOS. Now, it is almost like it is a major landmark that draws attention to itself and to the fact that most people won't ever be able to set foot inside. There is no way it can be missed and WDI did as lousy a job on the outside/blending of it into its surroundings as they did a great job on the inside.

Continued in Part 2

Last edited:
A Meet and a Meal - Part 2

After the whole bathroom and character excitement our drinks were served:

Thing 1 and Thing 2 had both ordered the Mint Julep:

DSC08795.jpg

(obviously this is just one, I did not see any point in taking pictures of two identical drinks.)

Michael had the Hurricane which you can see in the background.

And I had ordered a Gin Fizz:

DSC08796.jpg

This had caused some problems and delayed our drinks a bit as the Gin Fizz is made with egg white. But they had run out of egg whites. A bit strange if you ask me as I would think that they should have eggs in a restaurant kitchen… But maybe they only had fancy eggs like quail eggs.

I thought that was strange. The Club still serves a lot of VIPs and one thing you never say to a Guest in an establishment like that is ''Oh, we're out of this.'' Not for what people are paying to be part of this very exclusive club.

More or less at the same time our first course arrived as well.

I had ordered the Country Sausage and Pâté Maison with Apricot Mustard and Rhubarb:

DSC08794.jpg

I like this type of charcuterie and it was absolutely delicious!

Michael had the Sautéed Asparagus with Black Truffle Brown Butter Vinaigrette and Fennel Coulis:

DSC08797.jpg

We were also served some lovely warm bread with herbed butter:

DSC08798.jpg

For the soup or salad course I had ordered the Summer Garden Pea Soup with English Pea, Poached Leeks, Fava Beans and Petit Mint.

This then arrived at my table:

DSC08799.jpg

I waited patiently for someone to come and lift the dome and then saw this:

DSC08801.jpg

Still not very soupy… That came then:

DSC08802.jpg

And this was the final result:

DSC08804.jpg

I love fresh peas and this soup really showed off the pea flavor in an excellent way! It was very fresh and light and a perfect summer soup!

Michael went with a boring salad:

DSC08800.jpg

It was the “Lafayette” Garden Salad with Shaved Radish, Cucumbers and Vinaigrette Maison. He really likes salads with vinaigrette dressings, so I am sure this was the perfect salad for him.

It was wonderful weeds. It was not boring. I also find it hard to enjoy soup when it's nearly 100 degrees outside!

Sounds like both of us ordered perfectly in accordance with our own preferences then! ;-)

When our main courses were served, we all got giants domes on our plates:

DSC08805.jpg

And then in all four servers appeared in order to lift them for all of us simultaneously. It was quite a show!!

And this was my view:

DSC08806.jpg

I got the Petit Filet Mignon, Tender Haricot Verts, Cabernet Jus. It really was not that petit at all! Michael got the same, but he got his well done (or maybe medium well), while I eat my meat medium rare.

It was wonderful. I was worried about portion sizes based on comments from others since the 'new' Club opened. But I thought the food was damn near phenomenal and enjoyed every course. Too bad this is the kind of place where licking the plates would be frowned upon!

After having finished his drink, Michael decided to order a soda and asked for a cherry coke and was happy to find that they served it to him with cherries in it:

DSC08808.jpg

For dessert I had been very torn what to order as there were several dishes that sounded delicious, but then decided to follow our servers recommendation and had the Sweet Corn Crème Brulée with Blueberry Compote, Blueberry Ginger Soda and Pecan Madelein:

DSC08809.jpg

There really was pureed sweet corn mixed into the Crème Brulée and it had a distinct taste due to that. But it was so perfect!! It was the most amazing dessert I had in a long time!

I am a creme brulee snob and I think this might have been the best I have ever had. If not, then it certainly is Top 3.

At some point I stepped outside on the balcony and took a picture of the regular theme park guests below us:

DSC08814.jpg

All in all it was a fantastic meal! The food was not cheap at all, but it was so very much worth it. Every course was wonderful and the dessert was so inventive. It truly was not just a very cool outing, but an amazing meal!

After our great lunch we decided to venture over to the lounge that is also part of Club 33 now since the renovation to get a drink there. They had the perfect booth for us where we all fitted in there and we had another round of drinks (how often do you get the opportunity to have a real drink inside Disneyland?) and chatted some more. I was really happy that everyone got on so well despite coming from all different kind of places. It even turned out that Thing 2 and Fran had a common acquaintance!

I know at some time we all got a shock how late it was getting and Michael had agreed to meet up with someone later that night, so he excused himself a bit earlier and started out to get changed to head back into the park.

You know it's a great experience when lunch and drinks takes over five hours and you'd like to stay longer!

A little while later we said goodbye to Alison and Fran for now as they had to get back home to get their cats inside before nightfall so that they would not be eaten by coyotes. This rather shocked me that in the middle of such a huge urban area there would be predators around, who would hunt kitties! Sometimes I am just amazed how rough and wild America is in comparison to Europe!

We also did all of our shopping, this was my loot:

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

A pin and two shot glasses. I still need to use the shot glasses for something.

The shot glasses were even packed really nicely:

DSC00720.jpg

And then it was all give to me in a lovely bag:

DSC00717.jpg

The rest of the group and I all headed to back to our villa as they all had brought a change of clothes. We all had dressed up for Club 33 and did not feel like we wanted to hang out in the park with our dressy clothes. Also, we obviously all needed to drop off our shopping!

We then headed into DCA as this was where Michael was supposed to meet up with this person, but somehow that proved to be rather difficult for some reason. However, we managed to get in some rides and I think Thing 1 and 2 at one point headed out to meet Anna and Elsa, supposedly without any wait. I guess their popularity is fading…

We then decided to head back to Disneyland to catch the fireworks and once again Thing 2 was quite a genius in knowing exactly where to go and how to do it. He came up with the plan that we would get into Disneyland, then immediately get on the train at the Main Street station, take it all the way to Toontown and then watch the fireworks from It’s a Small World. We once again arrived at Town Square while the parade was going on, but thanks to Thing 2 he was able to funnel us through the crowd control ropes in such a way that we were immediately up on the train station and got on the train!

There was a slight delay for our departure however, so we arrived at Toontown just when the fireworks were about to begin and so missed maybe the first minute or so. But then we watched the rest of it in front of It’s a Small World with very few crowds around us and truly enjoyed it once again! We all really loved the perspective from there. They did the same projections that they did on the castle on the façade of It’s a Small World, but I thought they worked much better here as the surface is larger. Some of the lower level fireworks to the side of the castle were not visible, but we really did not miss them that much at all.

A GREAT location to see the fireworks with less crowds if you don't mind 'missing' the few on the castle. I most definitely do not mind.

As soon as the last shell had exploded, Thing 2 had us ready to jump in line for It’s A Small World. And we just walked on and nearly got a boat just for our party, but another couple showed up in time to be loaded into our boat as well. We enjoyed the happiest cruise that ever sailed quite a lot. I am still surprised how much this attraction has grown on me. When Katharina and I saw it first in 1992 we were just full of contempt with it and laughed our heads of about how bad it was. And then every time we visited Disneyland Paris we had to go on it, just because it was so bad… And then suddenly at some point I started to like it. Don’t ask me why. I guess I got older…

M sounds like ... a ... a ... Commie!!! Who couldn't love Small World?!? It is a Disney classic. I enjoyed it as a child at the MK and I've enjoyed it in Anaheim, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo since! It's colorful and has a timeless happy and important message.

We also managed to get in a ride on Space Mountain and then headed to the hub to see the parade. At that point we all were rather peckish and wanted a snack and split up for that. Thing 1, Michael and I headed to the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Michael and I got a tomato soup with cheese sandwich combo and an additional soup, so that we could split the sandwich between both of us. This was rather good, even though I was disappointed how bland the cheese was. But I would think that this is my European cheese taste that was the reason for that. Michael loved it.

Yes, I did enjoy the soup and sandwich quite a bit.

We got a table with a somewhat decent view and really enjoyed what we saw of the parade. I was a bit scared as I knew that the music for Paint the Night was kind of a homage to the music for the Electrical Main Street Parade. And I absolutely cannot stand that music. It makes my hair stand up. I actively try to avoid seeing that parade every time it played in a park that I visit. I was so happy to find out that they took all the horribleness out of the music and the way they use it now is actually really enjoyable to me! All in all, Paint the Night is now one of the two parades among all Disney parades that I actually want to see again. The other one is Boo to You (from the Magic Kingdom’s Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party). Yes, all other Disney parades I am either indifferent to or I actually dislike them (well, that is only one).

OK, now I am convinced that I am dating a Communist. How anyone can't enjoy the Baroque Hoedown is simply beyond my very limited comprehension. While I think it is pathetic that WDW trots out the 1972-era MSEP almost every night, I still love the music. Paint the Night, though, is wonderful. I don't quite get a lot of the hate thrown in its direction. It's fun. Has great modern floats, an infectious soundtrack and is plain fun. I'm not sure I love it more than Dreamlights at TDL because that is more of an updated MSEP and PtN is more like a cousin of MSEP and not a younger sibling.

After the parade we did some more rides which somehow never made it into my trip notes. But I got a lovely picture of the Tea Cups:

DSC08897.jpg

We did BTMRR. We took a night voyage thru Storybookland -- now featuring Frozen! And ended it with a ride to Wonderland with Alice. Love the new projections and effects in Alice.

That's right! It was all very enjoyable! Alice is great with the updates!

We also said good bye to Thing 1 after the parade as he had to drive home and then go to work the next day.

When we got back to the hotel, I also tried to get some pictures of the front desk area:

DSC08898.jpg

DSC08902.jpg

DSC08903.jpg

And this ends an amazing day which was quite some different from a usual day in the theme parks, but therefore also far more memorable. Even though the new promotion is pretty cheesy. For this day the tag line “Unforgettable happens here” really fitted. But the next day was going to bring even more “unforgettable” moments.

Up Next: The Tour

The best part is when I got to run through my own hometown, Nuremberg:

That sounds amazing and fun indeed!

I love fresh peas and this soup really showed off the pea flavor in an excellent way! It was very fresh and light and a perfect summer soup!

Wow! What a clever way to present the soup and it looks yummy!

Alison has written about your Club 33 visit, so I was prepared for it. What a great experience, thanks for sharing.
And I took a note about watching the fireworks from IASW! I would never have thought of it.
What an amazing day being "topped of" with some rides as well.

With all the mobile phone drama, I had not done that yet and felt really bad! I was really excited to see her and Fran!

It wasn't at all a big deal, in fact I thought you had arrived a day later, so I was almost surprised to hear from you so early! I was also very excited to meet you. Fran is a little like Eeyore, so she doesn't get excited about much.

As a CM he has access to a store in Anaheim that is run by Disney and which is selling Disney merchandise at reduced prices.

I've been to Company D once, and it was pretty cool!

We were quite successful in getting a few things!

Nice choices!

I requested to eat at In-n-Out, the famous Californian burger chain.

You can't go wrong with In-N-Out!

Spoiler alert: It is scheduled to debut July 4th ... but you didn't hear that from me.

I hope that this happens!

These are the machines where you get them. they look a bit temporary:

That's probably because F! is going down with everything else for the Star Wars rehab.

Some of us got Mint Juleps and everyone got some water and we shared an order of beignets. It was a really nice break and we definitely needed the water as it was a very hot day!

Sounds tasty! I could use a beignet right now!

I think the DL BTMRR is now firmly on second place, there is no way any of the two American versions can ever top DLP’s as there you go through a tunnel and the ride itself is in the middle of the Rivers of America.

That sounds really cool! I hope I get to ride on that. I need to start my DLP do list!

WDW's version will be getting the new DL tunnel effects when it has a multi-month closure early next year.

Yes, but will the track get an update so that it is as smooth as DL's?

Absolutely right. Star Wars belongs in DCA or really in its own park. Not shoehorned into Walt's park. Nope.

Totally agree with you on this one!

That would be the new backstage bypass. T

Those corridors are awesome, you can bypass the crazy crowds on Main Street!

After HM we hopped on Pirates and then got to ride Indiana Jones just before the park closed. A pretty successful first day!

You really got in some great rides at the end there. I wish I could stay up that late and still be able to make it home safely!

At 11 a.m., I quickly went upstairs to wake up Michael and then returned to the pool for some more pool fun. I did swim quite a bit and had the pools nearly to myself for most of the morning.

I'm glad that you had a relaxing morning!

People suddenly stepping into the way etc. really are an issue. I was even a bit embarrassed about how I might have caused trouble for other scooter drivers in the past and vowed to myself to be more observant in the future!

People always blame the folks driving the scooters, but until you've gone through a park with someone in a scooter people don't realize, it's not always the driver's fault. However, if I see someone in a scooter and it has "rental plates" I tend to give them a wide latitude as many of those drivers are novices. Folks on the Disney rentals, I stay completely clear of as they more often than not have absolutely no clue as to how to operate those things! :rotfl2:

It was also really great to meet Alison in person and to get to know Fran. I think it is so amazing how quickly one is at ease with the DIS friends when one meets them in real life!

And it was great to meet everyone in your party as well. I think having a love of Disney helps people get along, but it is amazing how quickly we all feel at ease when we meet in person! :goodvibes

(OK, Alison, you have my address to send that check, right? ;-) )

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

I don't agree with taking spots like this away from regular Guests. The Court had been there and open for all from 1966 to 2013.

I was really upset to hear that this spot was being taken away from the general public. I don't think that folks should only be able to visit someplace so pretty only if they have money or connections.

It was wonderful weeds. It was not boring. I also find it hard to enjoy soup when it's nearly 100 degrees outside!

Weeds! :rotfl: Now that was a funny little discussion we had. Folks who read my TRs know that Fran and I don't care for weeds in our salads. Michael however, is quite partial to them. You can imagine the discussion which ensued! :rotfl2:

I was worried about portion sizes based on comments from others since the 'new' Club opened.

This was my first meal there where the portions sizes were spot on and not too small. It made for a very enjoyable meal not leaving hungry.

A little while later we said goodbye to Alison and Fran for now as they had to get back home to get their cats inside before nightfall so that they would not be eaten by coyotes. This rather shocked me that in the middle of such a huge urban area there would be predators around, who would hunt kitties! Sometimes I am just amazed how rough and wild America is in comparison to Europe!

Imagine my shock after we bought the house when our gardener informed us that coyotes ran in the neighborhood! :eek: A year ago, one of our "wild bunnies" was eaten by the coyotes.

A pin and two shot glasses. I still need to use the shot glasses for something.

I believe that those are "toothpick holders". Disney wouldn't sell shotglasses! :laughing:

All in all, it was a nice and enjoyable day that we had together! It was so nice meeting everyone and a great time was had by all! Fran says "Hi!" back to you and Michael!

So, it is gone by now? They were not sure how long they were going to keep it around.

Yes, when I was there, they had a Halloween tree instead.

Once you are a little less stressed and have the time to start your trip report I will look forward to hear more about it.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping to finish editing my Memory Maker photos this weekend and should be finished with writing appraisals by the end of Monday and then I can get started on writing the trip report.

I think they are mainly just waiting for Shanghai's attraction to open.

I had figured that they will let this run as a Shanghai exclusive for the first 6 months before rolling this out to the other parks.

And they are going to add the effect in Paris as well. I think it is a fantastic substitute for the moving rocks!

That will be amazing. Unfortunately it looks like it will be still closed when I am planning to go back in September.

Sorry that you saw those wonderful fireworks only once. Hopefully the show will stick around for quite some while and you will be able to see it again at some point!

That is what I figure. I think the previous fireworks were introduced for the 50th anniversary so they were around for a decade.

To be honest, this is maybe my only real complaint that I have about DVC. I guess that's one aspect of the "home away from home" concept that I don't like!

For us, this was actually a big draw. We quite like that we are not disturbed every day. I wish that they would leave more toiletries though.

I was happy to see that the treadmills were the same ones they had on the Wonder. Those have programs where you can run through different environments. On the Wonder I had so much fun to run through Germany and I decided to do that again!

I never knew this about the Wonder. I tend to watch Disney movies while working out on the ships.

While there I noticed the Coke Freestyle machines that Michael loves:

I love them, too. Fortunately we now have them in the UK at Five Guys. I think I may treat myself to a Five Guys burger on Tuesday.

After ringing the bell and letting them know that we had a reservation, we were asked into a lovely little courtyard:

DSC08767.jpg

I used to love going in there to get a breather when this was still open to the public.

When building DLP they took the lessons from both approaches and combined them into a park that handles large masses of people very well, but also is full of that charm of DL. That’s why, in my opinion DLP is the “castle park” with the best overall design.

I absolutely agree with this assessment.

In one corner there was some cucumber water, which we enjoyed while waiting to be called for our table.

I would have loved this. I absolutely adore cucumber water. When I last had the chance to be there, we had spiced apple cider in that spot.

After we had all managed to order everything I decided to go and use the bathroom and in the hallway on the way back I got a chance to visit with Chuck and Dave:

DSC08792.jpg

What a nice touch to have the characters, but I agree that it is not good form for them to wave at the people below.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 had both ordered the Mint Julep

I had every intention to try this as I have only ever had the non-alcoholic version, but the Diamond Martini won out in the end.

And I had ordered a Gin Fizz:

DSC08796.jpg

That looks delicious. Lunch looked amazing, too.

After our great lunch we decided to venture over to the lounge that is also part of Club 33 now since the renovation to get a drink there.

I love the lounge.

But then we watched the rest of it in front of It’s a Small World with very few crowds around us and truly enjoyed it once again! We all really loved the perspective from there. They did the same projections that they did on the castle on the façade of It’s a Small World, but I thought they worked much better here as the surface is larger. Some of the lower level fireworks to the side of the castle were not visible, but we really did not miss them that much at all.

Thing 1, Michael and I headed to the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Michael and I got a tomato soup with cheese sandwich combo and an additional soup, so that we could split the sandwich between both of us.

I very much enjoyed this, but in my case I felt that the bread could have been a little more special.

Yes, all other Disney parades I am either indifferent to or I actually dislike them (well, that is only one).

I am with you on that, just that for me the second parade I enjoy is the Christmas parade at Disneyland Paris.

Corinna

Nice update! Your lunch at Club 33 sounds amazing.

I really liked what I have seen so far of that Paint the Night Parade, too. I hope it is still there if I ever get a chance to go to Disneyland

CAtching up.

Great lunch at Club 33. I think I almost licked the screen at the Fillet Mignon and the dessert. YUM!
I miss being able to go to the Court of Angels. It was always a cool spot to head to after a busy morning in the park.

Not only did we enjoy their company, but between the two CM friends and some pixie dust from a third friend, we did not have to pay for any admission media. That definitely was a huge bonus for our vacation budget and we were extremely grateful to all three people who helped us out!!

Man, I need to become friends with your friends!:rotfl2:

It's very nice to have very nice people, very generous people, as friends.

It's all in who you know!

The point here (if you are still awake) is that Anaheim still is worth visiting if you have a CM friend to take you.

I love these!

In-n-Out is not the best burger ever. But it is really good fast food.

That sums it up perfectly.

''Why did Captain Hook cross the road? To get to the second hand store."

Hey, I thought it was funny. But I love stupid jokes.

The CM at the turnstile then was really nice, too, and we chatted with her for a moment, too. I often read comments about how the CMs at Disneyland are less friendly than at WDW, but this is really not my experience. And those two that we encounters definitely were among the friendliest ones I met.

I think WDW regulars don't like that Anaheim CMs don't do the phony, management-mandated in FL, ''Have a magical day!'' type lines. I generally find DL CMs to be far more caring and far better than their WDW counterparts with the exception of many of the CPers and internationals along with the retirees who aren't working for the money.

I generally have wonderful experiences with CM's anywhere. I think Disney does a good job hiring people who for the most part care about their work. I also think if you go in looking for good or bad experiences, well...you usually find what you're looking for.

More nice details:

I love the National Park theming. But then again, I'm pre-disposed to like that.

On the way there we walked to New Orleans Square and I tried to capture the beauty of that little nook of the park:

It is a great place.

The explosion scene had gotten a really nice update not so long ago. We saw that already last year, but we were really impressed this time again!

I love that explosion scene! Can't wait for it to show up in Florida too.

Everyone, except M, love petting zoos and the atmosphere of the BTR area. It will be very, very sad to see it go. Some of the trees in the area date back to Walt's days and the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland ride, which has been gone since 1977. It is peaceful. We spoke to a lovely CM about how many of the goats had been 'retired' of late since the entire area will be closing early next year to make way for Star Wars Land ... GRRRRR ... only DL's horses will remain, although they will now be trucked in like commuters as the backstage barns that have existed since the 1950s will be bulldozed.

A few months from now, this area will be history as the land it sits on will become part of Star Wars Land in Disneyland (while most likely ending up being a nice enough area, I think it is as bad a fit as Avatarland in Animal Kingdom. But it seems that congruity of theme has long gone out of the window – Frozen in Epcot is another perfect example…).

Absolutely right. Star Wars belongs in DCA or really in its own park. Not shoehorned into Walt's park. Nope.

I can see that. It does make more sense to try and preserve the original DL. It really highlights the issue of available space on the California property.

But it was a lucky day for Thing 1 as he found a $20 bill on the ground while rushing through the bypass!

Wow! I thought Disney had a detector to find things like that!

I can only imagine M watching an episode of The Walking Dead with me.

I can guarantee you that this would not be a pleasant experience for either of us!!

Just tell me you will write up a full report if this happens.

I can only add that the lack of daily housekeeping is a big complaint from yours truly too. I realize it is the timeshare industry standard, so it isn't as if Disney is any worse. But one of the things I like about vacationing is coming 'home' to a room that has been thoroughly cleaned each and every day. I can be messy and let's not even talk about M here! ;-) Especially in a small studio, you really notice when things aren't taken care of daily.

Yeah, when you spend that much money on lodging, it would be nice to have somebody else clean it.

I'd love to say I spent time in here each and every day working out. But then I'd be lying and one of the very worst things you can do in life is lie in a trip report. It's just under ''Kill Your Annoying Neighbors' on the Worst Things in Life List.

I would think "Kill Your Wonderful Neighbors" would be much, much worse.

The best part is when I got to run through my own hometown, Nuremberg:

Cool! Did you see yourself? Did you wave hello?

So long as there isn't a dirty, full diaper tossed behind one near the jacuzzi. EEEEK! Yes, it happened. No, M wasn't aware of it until she read these very comments. ... People are pigs. Commentary over ... for now.

But it was like that when I got there! I swear!

This was my first experience of going through a crowd with someone in a scooter, both Alison and Fran use them. I have to say that this was quite an eye opener to me! Every little thing that you as a pedestrian can just step around becomes an obstacle for a scooter. People suddenly stepping into the way etc. really are an issue. I was even a bit embarrassed about how I might have caused trouble for other scooter drivers in the past and vowed to myself to be more observant in the future!

It was eye-opening to me as well when we walked around with Alison. I am guilty of grumbling about scooters in the past, so it was good to see it from the other side.

I think it is so amazing how quickly one is at ease with the DIS friends when one meets them in real life!

::yes::

They were very nice, but also quite cool and interesting. I think that is important because you can meet nice people who are boring as white bread (or American cheese for those reading in Germany).

I like American cheese. Now I'm wondering if Michael will think I'm boring. Maybe he can just hang out with Scotty.

We also used that time to take some pictures and here are the ones that only involve those people who don’t oppose their picture being posted online:

Spoilsports.:rolleyes1

But they had run out of egg whites. A bit strange if you ask me as I would think that they should have eggs in a restaurant kitchen… But maybe they only had fancy eggs like quail eggs.

I bet they were out of American cheese, too.

Michael went with a boring salad:

This is redundant. There is no such thing as an exciting salad.

All in all it was a fantastic meal! The food was not cheap at all, but it was so very much worth it. Every course was wonderful and the dessert was so inventive. It truly was not just a very cool outing, but an amazing meal!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I doubt I could have identified most of it, but I'm glad it was a great experience for you!

A little while later we said goodbye to Alison and Fran for now as they had to get back home to get their cats inside before nightfall so that they would not be eaten by coyotes.

@franandaj also has to make sure they aren't locked in the garage, or that random naked people aren't running around in the back yard.

But then we watched the rest of it in front of It’s a Small World with very few crowds around us and truly enjoyed it once again! We all really loved the perspective from there. They did the same projections that they did on the castle on the façade of It’s a Small World, but I thought they worked much better here as the surface is larger. Some of the lower level fireworks to the side of the castle were not visible, but we really did not miss them that much at all.

Sounds like your CM friend knows what he's doing!

I am still surprised how much this attraction has grown on me. When Katharina and I saw it first in 1992 we were just full of contempt with it and laughed our heads of about how bad it was. And then every time we visited Disneyland Paris we had to go on it, just because it was so bad… And then suddenly at some point I started to like it. Don’t ask me why. I guess I got older…

Did they add Buzz Lightyear guns to the boats? That would make it better.

M sounds like ... a ... a ... Commie!!! Who couldn't love Small World?!? It is a Disney classic. I enjoyed it as a child at the MK and I've enjoyed it in Anaheim, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo since! It's colorful and has a timeless happy and important message.

A message that is bludgeoned into your brain over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

OK, now I am convinced that I am dating a Communist. How anyone can't enjoy the Baroque Hoedown is simply beyond my very limited comprehension. While I think it is pathetic that WDW trots out the 1972-era MSEP almost every night, I still love the music. Paint the Night, though, is wonderful. I don't quite get a lot of the hate thrown in its direction. It's fun. Has great modern floats, an infectious soundtrack and is plain fun. I'm not sure I love it more than Dreamlights at TDL because that is more of an updated MSEP and PtN is more like a cousin of MSEP and not a younger sibling.

I'm just glad all of these parades are here to distract people from the rides!:rotfl2:

OH, how I absolutely adored your post about Club 33. I'd give a lot to have just one chance to dine in there and experience a piece of truly Disneyana myself. Maybe someday.... :dreamysigh: When I workd in the Blue Bayou, I'd dream of stepping inside just to get a peek, but never had the opportunity.

The meal looked abosolutely amazing, especially your charcuterie!! WOW!! Pate is a favorite of mine!!

Yes!! I think we also watched the Fireworks from right there on our last trip as well. Crowd free is definitely the way to go, and that's a GREAT place to find that.

I had no idea they gave Alice some updates; need to get back to DLR sometime soon... also need to see the Frozen updates on one of my favorite rides: Storybook.

Not to be shown up by my friend Marv up there....

Tyghan myen, kytah bolsin!!!! Ozak omir bolsin!!!! Boogin, bari zhangaluk boldai!

So I gather birthday wishes are in order today! I'll say it more like an American

Fröhliche Geburtstag!

Rumor has it, more updates are already written and approved, just waiting for me to catch up with what is already posted….

I got really exhausted just by reading about your day with shopping and theme park until late at night, no wonder you war falling asleep standing up. I remember that this happened to me once on our first trip to WDW. But you still took pictures, I admire that!

One for Katharina:

DSC00725.jpg

And it is already in heavy rotation, although in winter it might get less used…
Thank you again for all the presents

In-n-Out is not the best burger ever. But it is really good fast food. It always tastes really fresh and it is not pricey at all.

If they would serve their Burgers in Germany, they would definitely be one of the best classic burgers!

Once we both had enjoyed California scenery (it felt like a preview of what we were going to experience during this vacation) in now perfect digital quality (the ride has recently been updated and the picture quality is now amazing!), we reconnected with the others.

That mud have been quite a treat, I remember being really disappointed by the quality last time we saw it together at WDW. I really like the pictures of the Grizzly Peak area!

I am glad you liked them! Do you remember that we went to see a mission in Texas in 1992? I remember that we really liked that, too. It felt so much like Europe there.

Yes, I remember that very well! Also that I had a horrible cold and was freezing in the air conditioned car, as we were not used to those at all.

What I can't remember is a petting zoo in Disneyland...

The brown one on top is the drink menu. Those were really pretty on the outside as well on the inside:

DSC08777.jpg

Bitburger??????? Do they want to make people believe you can't get any decent beer in Europe????

Your meal at Club 33 looks lovely!

I think it's a cultural difference thing. It's a Small World is just very over the top for Germans, especially in the 1990s, when we weren't yet exposed to American culture as much as we are now. So for us the important message got kind of lost in all the (for us) exaggeration.

This reminds me, my husband has just returned from a conference at Phantasialand, where he saw not the whole park, but one of the "lands" and the entrance area, the "main street" of Phantasialand as he called it. He said it looked nice, but not as nice as Disneyland Paris and that he is obviously spoiled….

I have to agree with Michael about the parade , BUT I don't think you are a Communist:rotfl2:My favorite parade was SPECTRO, I was crushed when they cancelled that and brought out MSEP, so my next favorite was The AK parade , now that is cancelled, I am avoiding any favorite parades from now on !!!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter