CA Gov signs the vaccination bill in to law

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Newsroom/2015NewsReleases/15119WAMeaslesRelatedDeath

death of a Clallam County woman this spring was due to an undetected measles infection that was discovered at autopsy.

The woman was most likely exposed to measles at a local medical facility during a recent outbreak in Clallam County. She was there at the same time as a person who later developed a rash and was contagious for measles. The woman had several other health conditions and was on medications that contributed to a suppressed immune system. She didn’t have some of the common symptoms of measles such as a rash, so the infection wasn’t discovered until after her death. The cause of death was pneumonia due to measles.

This tragic situation illustrates the importance of immunizing as many people as possible to provide a high level of community protection against measles. People with compromised immune systems often cannot be vaccinated against measles. Even when vaccinated, they may not have a good immune response when exposed to disease; they may be especially vulnerable to disease outbreaks. Public health officials recommend that everyone who is eligible for the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine get vaccinated so they can help protect themselves, their families, and the vulnerable people in their community.

Measles is highly contagious even before the rash starts, and is easily spread when an infected person breathes, coughs, or sneezes. If you're not protected, you can get measles just by walking into a room where someone with the disease has been in the past couple of hours.

Children should be vaccinated with two doses of MMR vaccine, with the first dose between 12 and 15 months and the second at four-to-six years. Adults born after 1956 should have at least one measles vaccination; some people need two. The state Department of Health immunization program has online information about measles and measles vaccine.

The measles diagnosis for the Clallam County woman brings the state’s case count to 11, and is the sixth in Clallam County for the year. The last active case of measles in Washington this year was reported in late April. Within about three weeks of exposure to someone with measles, it’s possible to develop the disease. Since more than three weeks has already passed since the last active measles case, no one who had contact with one of the known cases is any longer at risk for developing measles from those exposures.

The last confirmed measles death in the United States was reported in 2003. More information about measles nationwide is available on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

The Department of Health website (doh.wa.gov) is your source for a healthy dose of information. Also, find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

The CA law, SB277 requires all students of public AND private schools to be fully compliant on vaccines, so there will be nowhere to go except homeschool for the antivaxxers. ALL schools and daycare. Also teachers are next - all teachers will have to be up to date on vaccines to teach in all schools (there is a bill not yet voted on) and they should.

It doesn't make any sense to enforce compliance with school children to be up to date on their vaccines but not the teachers. Does anyone disagree with that?
Your expressed concern was about the impact on California schools. When referring to a state's educational system, the impetus is the public schools. I personally don't care about the impact on private schools one wit. Pulling kids out of a private school to home school them in reaction to the law isn't going to impact the local public schools.

As for teachers and mandated vaccinations, I'm not aware of teachers being identified as problematic parts of the disease vectors in the numerous recent California outbreaks. In other words, they haven't been identified as a real problem that needs addressing versus children. Let's see if the bill you refer to actually stands any real chance of passage.

Your expressed concern was about the impact on California schools. When referring to a state's educational system, the impetus is the public schools. I personally don't care about the impact on private schools one wit. Pulling kids out of a private school to home school them in reaction to the law isn't going to impact the local public schools.

As for teachers and mandated vaccinations, I'm not aware of teachers being identified as problematic parts of the disease vectors in the numerous recent California outbreaks. In other words, they haven't been identified as a real problem that needs addressing versus children. Let's see if the bill you refer to actually stands any real chance of passage.

I think it's probably easier to pass that law now when all the teachers are already vaccinated then it will be in 15 years when all these unvaccinated children become adults and want to get jobs in schools and health care.

There
I think it's probably easier to pass that law now when all the teachers are already vaccinated then it will be in 15 years when all these unvaccinated children become adults and want to get jobs in schools and health care.
There's some truth to that logic, combined with the recent outbreaks fresh in people's minds. But then again there are a lot of adults now that weren't vaccinated for a number of things that kids are now. I was never given a Hib, pneumonicoccal, HepC or other vaccines because they didn't exist when I was young. I'm in the same boat as a lot current adults.

I believe you stated in one of your posts the non vax people could go to private schools and no, that isn't the case in CA with this bill passing.

Also, no schools were impacted in the Disney measles event. No schools were closed and many of the measles cases were in adults and vaccinated. A couple were babies too young for school. This bill is in existence to preempt any outbreaks within schools. Therefore, teachers should be up to date on vaccinations, no?

I don't understand why people are only talking about having children vaccinated when there are outbreaks within the adult population where adults should be fully vaccinated (hockey players with mumps, for example). And the measles where 59% were adults 20 or older. 5-19 year olds made up a mere 18%).

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-measles-adults-20150212-story.html#page=1

I never had chicken pox as a child, and because of this my first employer mandated that ANY exposure would result in my taking a 3 week leave of absence, lest I infect one of the patients I worked with during the incubation period. I cannot imagine that any unvaccinated patient would have been willing to knowingly have me treat them while they were hospitalized. I actually was exposed while pregnant. All of this was before a vaccine was available. It was absolutely terrifying not knowing whether or not I would develop chicken pox until the incubation period had passed. Thank God I did not and my baby was born healthy. As soon as a vaccine was developed I scheduled a shot and am vigilant about making sure I am checked to make sure the vaccine is still effective. I also know an adult who contracted measles, and she ended up in ICU for two weeks. These diseases are serious and should be vaccinated against. Every medical setting I have ever worked in required vaccinations, including yearly flu shots and a yearly TB test. I just cannot fathom anyone skipping a vaccine when we are so very fortunate to have them available.

I never had chicken pox as a child, and because of this my first employer mandated that ANY exposure would result in my taking a 3 week leave of absence, lest I infect one of the patients I worked with during the incubation period. I cannot imagine that any unvaccinated patient would have been willing to knowingly have me treat them while they were hospitalized. I actually was exposed while pregnant. All of this was before a vaccine was available. It was absolutely terrifying not knowing whether or not I would develop chicken pox until the incubation period had passed. Thank God I did not and my baby was born healthy. As soon as a vaccine was developed I scheduled a shot and am vigilant about making sure I am checked to make sure the vaccine is still effective. I also know an adult who contracted measles, and she ended up in ICU for two weeks. These diseases are serious and should be vaccinated against. Every medical setting I have ever worked in required vaccinations, including yearly flu shots and a yearly TB test. I just cannot fathom anyone skipping a vaccine when we are so very fortunate to have them available.

I absolutely respect that you make sure you are up to date on all vaccinations. I'll bet you also get your Tdap shot every 10 years as suggested by the CDC. I believe if we are to insist that our kids be up to date on thier vaccinations, we need to be diligent about adult vaccinations also. I think the government is recognizing this and there are plans in the works to ensure that the adult immiunizations take place by 2020. I think the campaign is called Healthy 2020 and anyone can Google it. I know that employers will be involved, not just healthcare employers.

I absolutely respect that you make sure you are up to date on all vaccinations. I'll bet you also get your Tdap shot every 10 years as suggested by the CDC. I believe if we are to insist that our kids be up to date on thier vaccinations, we need to be diligent about adult vaccinations also. I think the government is recognizing this and there are plans in the works to ensure that the adult immiunizations take place by 2020. I think the campaign is called Healthy 2020 and anyone can Google it. I know that employers will be involved, not just healthcare employers.

Are you suggesting that if the campaign to vaccinate hits home for more adults, you think they will be so put off that they will back off on their support of requiring vaccinations to enter school?

Are you suggesting that if the campaign to vaccinate hits home for more adults, you think they will be so put off that they will back off on their support of requiring vaccinations to enter school?

Where on earth did you get that from my post? Are you suggesting that adults do not need to up to date on their vaccinations? The statistics of the measles outbreak were the majority of the measles cases were in adults, not school age children. Wouldn't that mean adults need to be up to date on their measles vaccines as well as children?

Where on earth did you get that from my post? Are you suggesting that adults do not need to up to date on their vaccinations?

Sorry if I misread that.

You seemed to be against required vaccines for school kids. Then you started talking about adult vaccine compliance.

So are you against both then?

Sorry if I misread that.

You seemed to be against required vaccines for school kids. Then you started talking about adult vaccine compliance.

So are you against both then?

I'm all for consistency. I want the vaccine mandates to make sense. When I look at the outbreak numbers, the adults are under vaccinated.

I'm all for consistency. I want the vaccine mandates to make sense. When I look at the outbreak numbers, the adults are under vaccinated.

So you would like to see a law to require vaccine compliance in adults then?

Because if you are against it for kids, I'm not sure why you would be in favor of it for adults.

Unless you think that if adults are included, they'll back down on the issue for kids.

Once again, my apologies if I misread that.

Where on earth did you get that from my post? Are you suggesting that adults do not need to up to date on their vaccinations? The statistics of the measles outbreak were the majority of the measles cases were in adults, not school age children. Wouldn't that mean adults need to be up to date on their measles vaccines as well as children?

I still want to know what source you used to state that there are over 300 vaccines currently in development.

So you would like to see a law to require vaccine compliance in adults then?

Because if you are against it for kids, I'm not sure why you would be in favor of it for adults.

Unless you think that if adults are included, they'll back down on the issue for kids.

Once again, my apologies if I misread that.

As I said before, I want the compliance to be in the adult population as well after reading the statistics. I had no idea of all of these outbreaks in the adult population before I began sifting through the information.

As I said before, I want the compliance to be in the adult population as well after reading the statistics. I had no idea of all of these outbreaks in the adult population before I began sifting through the information.

I doubt that many who understand the value of vaccines would disagree with you. As a teacher, I believe we have a responsibility to our students to protect those who cannot protect themselves due to medical concerns.

Since that source is at least 18 months old, how many of those supposed vaccine producing companies are no longer in business?

Well, I'm bored, so I Googled the first page of the list. I could confirm all but one. So, I'm going to go with "most."

Well, I'm bored, so I Googled the first page of the list. I could confirm all but one. So, I'm going to go with "most."

My point is that the info is old. Most "big pharma" has eliminated R+D, replacing it with the purchase of many start-ups with promising pipelines.

I wonder how many of the ones balking at the government telling parents to vaccinate their kids had no problem with the government telling people they had to buy health insurance.

Oh, and sign me right up if they want to check titers and require boosters. As long as you don't require me to pay for it under this grand new $6K deductible plan I'm on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter