CA Coast road trip

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by gatorfreud, Jan 23, 2013.

1. gatorfreud

gatorfreud DIS Veteran

Hi all:

Planning a little road trip with a friend and our 4 kids for next summer, starting at DL of course.

I havemost of it planned, but we will spend one night in Santa Barbara - suggestions?

The next day we will drive up to... Pismo Beach? Morro Bay? Where is good to stay there? They are from the beach in FL so I am looking for a CA type beach, more craggy etc... so it's different for them. Where is good to stay there? Thinking about kayaking or something?

Then heading to Monterey, I'm good there. :)

Thanks for any suggestions! Oh, our kids are boys ages 7-10!

Thanks!
    Kim

2. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

In Pismo we have only stayed at the Spyglass. Love it! In my top ten of favorite hotels in the world. In Morro we have stayed at three; Bayfront (different from the Bay View), the Sandpiper and the Embarcadero. I would highly recommend any of them so depending on your price range you have three to consider.

I grew up in Santa Barbara. You can't beat the Hotel Oceana. Not too fancy, not too expensive and close to the beach. A little further from the seaside and a little more expensive is the wonderful Lavender Inn.

3. Djibouti

Djibouti Earning My Ears

If you want something on the beach I agree Hotel Oceana is great. Also Fess Parker's Double Tree. If you want to stay downtown then definitely Canary Hotel. They are part of Kimpton Hotels and you can join their Kimptons In Touch rewards free online and see if there are any deals.