C25K! Anyone else in?

:

Isn't it an awesome feeling afterwards to push yourself and know that you were able to do it?? I find it so empowering! :cool1: Great job! :goodvibes
:yay:

That feeling is what keeps me going back to the treadmill! When I finish each day, I feel so good because I've done something that I didn't think I could do. Today's my off day, but I think I will try and get in a walk or a bike ride after work.

Hello, my friend! :wave:

I think it's wonderful that you guys are doing this as a family! Not only will it be quality time together, but what a great lesson for your daughter to show the importance of getting fit and healthy. :woohoo:

Thanks! Just posted over on your thread :thumbsup2 we keep "running" into each other (ha ha bad joke). I am VERY excited that my family is doing this with me! Sometimes I am stingy with my time and would rather be alone but overall I am glad we're all doing it. I want us all to be around for a long long time!

It is a great feeling, especially when you are struggling (and it would be so much easier to quit) but you don't give up. When you dig deep and push through the discomfort and doubt, that is a gift to yourself. Yesterday I hiked a "canyon" in the Franklin Mtns with a group of ladies from my neighborhood. It is basically 2.6 miles up a whole lot of hills and back down again. My running partner and I have done it several times before and among the group of various ages, sizes and fitness levels, we are (haha) considered "the fit ones." I chose to walk beside the lady who was convinced she "couldn't do it, she was too fat, too old (maybe 35;)), has high blood pressure, plantar fasciitis, and oh Tess I know you want to power up the hill with so and so, go ahead and leave me here, I'll wait for you to come back down...on and on." Now I'm not a medical doctor but I decided that if she could talk non-stop about what she couldn't do, then she could go up and down that mountain with the rest of us!:cool: She may never speak to me again (I may have said "it's just one more hill" about 6 times!) but she went up and down that mountain. And in between the cursing, panting, and name blaming, there was a real sense of accomplishment and a sense of awe that she did something she really believed to be physically impossible for herself. pixiedust: We so often see people who are in shape and think either "I wish I could look like that (but I can't)" or "I hate them (just a little bit) because they look like that" but what we don't see is the effort they put into their fitness. I'm never going to be 6 minute-miler or run an ultramarathon but I am going to be fit. I'm going be proud of myself not only for my accomplishment but for putting in the hours and the miles that it takes to achieve it.:love:

That's really cool. :cool2: Great for you to be her cheerleader and coach and awesome that she was able to do it. And what you say is so true about looking at others who are fit. We all can get that way if we make the effort and convince our minds that our bodies can do the work!

That feeling is what keeps me going back to the treadmill! When I finish each day, I feel so good because I've done something that I didn't think I could do. Today's my off day, but I think I will try and get in a walk or a bike ride after work.

:thumbsup2

Thanks! Just posted over on your thread :thumbsup2 we keep "running" into each other (ha ha bad joke). I am VERY excited that my family is doing this with me! Sometimes I am stingy with my time and would rather be alone but overall I am glad we're all doing it. I want us all to be around for a long long time!

I understand about the alone time. Even when I'm on my treadmill I'm not alone since my husband isn't around and I do miss that solitude.

Thanks for the welcome everyone and the encouragement too. I did go to the gym tonight and did my usual 40 minutes of brisk walking. I tried to figure out where I need to be to "jog" and found that a 4 on the treadmill is a little too fast for me and will be jogging at a 3.7 for now, but I felt like I was going fast!

I am looking forward to beginning the program on Tuesday, I kinda want to begin tomorrow, but I really like starting things at the beginning of a week, so I will continue to walk and gear up.

Christina

Thanks for the welcome everyone and the encouragement too. I did go to the gym tonight and did my usual 40 minutes of brisk walking. I tried to figure out where I need to be to "jog" and found that a 4 on the treadmill is a little too fast for me and will be jogging at a 3.7 for now, but I felt like I was going fast!

I am looking forward to beginning the program on Tuesday, I kinda want to begin tomorrow, but I really like starting things at the beginning of a week, so I will continue to walk and gear up.

Christina

Fast for you is fast enough. One of the worst things we can do is compare ourselves to what others are doing and either get discouraged or try to do too much too soon.

I will be finishing Week 2 tomorrow and I'm really excited.

I just finished W1D3 and did great. I did 1 1/2 min on the last run to see if I could do it. And I did it!!! So now I am psyched to start week two. Today was actually a little easer than day 2 this week so I am seeing improvement. I also stuck with the suggested recoup time today and did just fine. I am wondering if the cold air on Monday is what had me panting a bit more because it was warmer this morning 68 instead of 51 on Monday. Who knows. I am just psyced I finished week 1. On to week two Monday! I owe a huge thanks to everyone on the thread for being so encouraging!!

Fast for you is fast enough. One of the worst things we can do is compare ourselves to what others are doing and either get discouraged or try to do too much too soon.

I will be finishing Week 2 tomorrow and I'm really excited.

Well said!

I just finished W1D3 and did great. I did 1 1/2 min on the last run to see if I could do it. And I did it!!! So now I am psyched to start week two. Today was actually a little easer than day 2 this week so I am seeing improvement. I also stuck with the suggested recoup time today and did just fine. I am wondering if the cold air on Monday is what had me panting a bit more because it was warmer this morning 68 instead of 51 on Monday. Who knows. I am just psyced I finished week 1. On to week two Monday! I owe a huge thanks to everyone on the thread for being so encouraging!!

Fantastic job!! Easier after only 3 days - that's great! You are giving me hope.:banana:

Great work!! You're all ready for Week 2!! :banana:

I know the cold air does affect me, so that may have been the problem for you on Monday. If you can find something to wrap around your mouth and nose (I know Floridians don't always have scarves lying around) on those colder mornings you might find it easier. That will warm up the air a bit before it hits your throat and lungs.

Hello all. I have had my tests and I hope to find out by Tuesday what the doctor said. However because of that I have not had time to get to the gym and run :headache:

I tried to get on the treadmill I was given for free earlier today, but for some reason every so often it "snags" and stops for a second. I think it is because of my weight right now. It is not as good as the one's at the gym, so hopefully in about 20 pounds that will not happen again.

I will be back at the gym tomorrow morning, I think I'm gonna do week two over again, not really sure just yet. I have to still take it easy till I get my results back from the doctor so I don't want to push it to much till then.

Scott

Hola y'all! Sounds like everyone is hanging in there.:thumbsup2 I just completed W8D3!:cool1::woohoo: My running partner and I have actually hit the W9 30 minute mark but we are still doing the final week, so that we can say we "graduated" from the program. We are a bit slow though, we haven't hit 3 miles yet, but we are getting there. Next month I'm running the Komen
5K so after W9 I am going to run 3 miles each run. Then I'd like to concentrate on improving my pace. I was much faster 10 yrs and 30 lbs ago when I was in the military!:lmao: I gotta tell ya- it feels great to reach this point! In the beginning, D2 of each week seemed to break me down. I would either struggle after a couple of intervals or during the walk breaks it seemed as though I was going the same pace as the run just without all the panting exertion.:rotfl: I didn't do it all in 9 weeks straight, I have had some detours and repeats but (much to my delighted surprise!) I have stayed with it and it works! I am cheering for all of you!:cheer2: :yay:

Congrats!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::dance3:

I've read up on the C25K last year, but didn't do anything about it. I am severly overweight (probably around 75-100 lbs), so I am trying to do something about it. I've had a gym membership since last fall, but didn't use it except for one time. This January, I decided that I am going to exercise and lose some weight. I began going to the gym about 4-5 times a week, primarily walking on the treadmill. I think I will probably repeat a lot of weeks. But I would love to run/walk the local 5K this summer.:thumbsup2

I will be using the treadmill but will probably do some of it outside once the weather is nice....which seems like a long time away (I live in NW IL). Right now, I've been brisk walking comfortably at 2.7; and increase my pace to 3.0 which is walking fast for me. I will probably have my jog at 3.5 right now. We'll see...I'm going to play around with the speed tomorrow at the gym.

My plan is to begin on Feb. 2nd, as my days for the C25K will be Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I will still go to the gym between them, probably doing weight and strength training or simple walking; as I am in the habit of going 5 days a week and have acutally begun looking forward to the gym.

I will try to post everyday that I do this, as it will help keep me accountable and motivate me to do it.

Great to see you here! :cheer2:
I'm the same boat as you, 100 pounds overweight, and like you I put off getting back into shape last year as well. But I have said enough and I'm changing it. I even signed up for the 2011 half marathon in WDW.

Keep the positive attitude and it will work out for you! Welcome to the C25K club.

Yesterday was my W1D2 of C25K and I was able to run all of the nine 60 sec intervals. D1 I struggled a bit through the last 4 min of running, but I was determined to push myself and I was able to complete it. Yesterday I did 30 min of yoga and after just a week and a half of "wogging" and yoga I've noticed I'm more flexible.

Does anyone use RunKeeper? I was using that last week before I downloaded the C25K app. I really liked the GPS features of RunKeeper, but with the iPhone I can't run both apps at the same time. Hmmm, now I'm thinking that I could download a C25K podcast instead and would be able to use the RunKeeper app at the same time...sometimes you just have to think out loud. :)

Good thought, I will have to keep this in mind when I start running outside, still on a treadmill right now...

Great work!! You're all ready for Week 2!! :banana:

I know the cold air does affect me, so that may have been the problem for you on Monday. If you can find something to wrap around your mouth and nose (I know Floridians don't always have scarves lying around) on those colder mornings you might find it easier. That will warm up the air a bit before it hits your throat and lungs.

I started week 2 today since it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I just moved here so I found my ski gear and used my fleece face /neck thingy. It worked great!! Thanks for the tip.

W2D1 completed. Today was easier for me than week 1. I think the longer recoup times are what I needed.

I have one question it is supposed to be 20 min total with the walk run intervals right. Not 20 min of running with the walk part not counting. I just want to make sure I didnt mess it up. If I can do this anyone can I am very overweight about 65 pounds and I used to smoke quit that 6 years ago. I am just so psyched it wasnt to bad today. I actually liked it :upsidedow

Hello all. I have had my tests and I hope to find out by Tuesday what the doctor said. However because of that I have not had time to get to the gym and run :headache:

I tried to get on the treadmill I was given for free earlier today, but for some reason every so often it "snags" and stops for a second. I think it is because of my weight right now. It is not as good as the one's at the gym, so hopefully in about 20 pounds that will not happen again.

I will be back at the gym tomorrow morning, I think I'm gonna do week two over again, not really sure just yet. I have to still take it easy till I get my results back from the doctor so I don't want to push it to much till then.

Scott

Good luck with the test results!

I started week 2 today since it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I just moved here so I found my ski gear and used my fleece face /neck thingy. It worked great!! Thanks for the tip.

W2D1 completed. Today was easier for me than week 1. I think the longer recoup times are what I needed.

I have one question it is supposed to be 20 min total with the walk run intervals right. Not 20 min of running with the walk part not counting. I just want to make sure I didnt mess it up. If I can do this anyone can I am very overweight about 65 pounds and I used to smoke quit that 6 years ago. I am just so psyched it wasnt to bad today. I actually liked it :upsidedow

Congrats on starting week 2! I'm finding it more difficult than week 1. Even though the brisk walks between are now 2 minutes, I find I have a harder time recouping after a longer run.

I'm pretty sure the 20 minutes is the run/walk intervals and does not include the warm up and cool down. With those it makes for a 30 minute workout.

As for me, I did W2D2 today. It was mentally challenging. I'll copy and paste the conversation I had in my head that I just posted on my PTR:

This was a conversation I had with myself throughout the 30 minutes:

"This is hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headache: I don't like hard work."

"Look lady. You made your body get to the point it is because you were lazy and didn't like to work hard. And you ate too much food!! So, quit your complaining and do the time!!" :mad:

"But, why does it have to be so hard??? Why can't I lose weight and get in shape by taking nice, easy walks on the treadmill??" :rolleyes1

:sad2: "Because! That is not challenging for you! You need something that pushes you to your limits. Taking up running and setting goals for 5Ks and half marathons is going to get you in shape and empower you."

"Maybe it isn't good for my body to be working so hard." :sick:

"Are you seriously going to wimp out on me?? I know you are stronger than that. You may not realize you are, but I know it."

"Fine! I'll do it, but I won't like it." :snooty:

"I don't care if you like it or not right now. Just go through the motions. Eventually it will get easier and you'll look amazing and you can thank me profusely then." :hug:

:rotfl: It was hard, but I completed the workout. I got through it by just taking one run at at time.

Hello all! :wave:
Glad to have found you all here. Its been great reading all your stories and knowing I am not alone!
I started last week and tomorrow is my W1D3 day.. My goal is to run the Disney 1/2 in 2011.. hey, another reason to go back to Disney! ;)

I'm doing this more for my state of mind and health over weight loss.. sure I need to lose about 20-25 lbs, but I can easily do that with weight watchers.. have done it before, but I am such a yo yo dieter. I drop and gain 10 lbs all the time. and I know its not good.

I have heard from so many runners of the high they get, the feeling the get when they run, the escape from the world, less stress, etc from running. I am a stay at home mom to 2 beautiful but BUSY boys.. I need something for myself and I think this is it.. not sure why, but I have a bug up my butt to run a marathon.. so here I am.. I am going to do this.. for me!

So far its been good.. I feel like I can go longer, push harder, but I am not going to.. just like a previous poster said.. my heart/lungs can take more.. but my body can't. Its not use to running.. so with that... here I am! we can do this!:cheer2:

Hello all! :wave:
Glad to have found you all here. Its been great reading all your stories and knowing I am not alone!
I started last week and tomorrow is my W1D3 day.. My goal is to run the Disney 1/2 in 2011.. hey, another reason to go back to Disney! ;)

I'm doing this more for my state of mind and health over weight loss.. sure I need to lose about 20-25 lbs, but I can easily do that with weight watchers.. have done it before, but I am such a yo yo dieter. I drop and gain 10 lbs all the time. and I know its not good.

I have heard from so many runners of the high they get, the feeling the get when they run, the escape from the world, less stress, etc from running. I am a stay at home mom to 2 beautiful but BUSY boys.. I need something for myself and I think this is it.. not sure why, but I have a bug up my butt to run a marathon.. so here I am.. I am going to do this.. for me!

So far its been good.. I feel like I can go longer, push harder, but I am not going to.. just like a previous poster said.. my heart/lungs can take more.. but my body can't. Its not use to running.. so with that... here I am! we can do this!:cheer2:

Another half-marathoner! :cool1:

:welcome: to the group! Glad to have you along. :goodvibes

I completely understand where you're coming from. Deciding to start running this year and challenging myself to do some races is about more than just losing weight for me. I'm a SAH/homeschooling mom to 3 boys and my husband is deployed. I need a way to relieve stress!! :scared1: I want something just for me and something I can be proud of accomplishing.

Week 2 Completed!

Never thought I'd make it here after that really cold run on Wednesday, but I am ready for Week 3!

My DBF is already seeing changes in my body which is really nice. I'm trying very hard to do work outs on my off days and I really feel my body becoming stronger which is SO great.

Week 3 seems so much more complicated than Weeks 1 and 2! 3 Minutes of jogging - oh man! But, I'm excited. The way I see it - the number of intervals that we do goes down every time, but I know there will be a day with NO intervals - gosh I'm scared!

Okay - time to go to sleep and get excited for my run tomorrow!

:)

Congrats EVERYONE!

I have been so busy, I haven't had time to comment on everything said here but I can't tell you how proud I am of every one of you - whether you are on Week 1 or 9! CONGRATS!

I completely agree that running time is time just for you and when I am having a hard time convincing myself to get to the gym, I remember that it is time just for me (and that doesn't come very often). :lmao:

Good night all! Happy February!

Week 2 Completed!

Never thought I'd make it here after that really cold run on Wednesday, but I am ready for Week 3!

:dancer: Way to go!! :cheer2:

I also try to workout on my non-run days and only give myself one complete rest day. I've heard working on your core muscles really helps with running.

Man, if week three is running for 3 minutes, I think I'm going to be doing week 2 over again. I can barely do the 90 second intervals. :scared1: But, I say the same thing about at least with the increasing running time comes fewer intervals. :thumbsup2

I got off schedule a bit this week and didn't complete Week 2 until Saturday, then I went to the parks yesterday and did a ton of brisk walking around EPCOT and MK. I'm putting off starting week 3 until tomorrow. I think my legs need a day off because they were really sore last night when I got in the car.

I think the trick for week 3 is going to be slowing the pace. I honestly do not care how fast I go-my goal is to complete the interval. I've been starting my first interval at 4.5 and working up to 5.0-but if I start tomorrow at 4.5 and that's too hard, I'll drop it down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter