C25K! Anyone else in?

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by willonlyflytodisney, Jan 12, 2010.

1. BernardandMissBianca

BernardandMissBianca <font color=red>I just love a dancing banana!<br>< Moderator

Finished week 1 day 2. Maintained a 4.0 walk and 5.0 run. Did stop 1/2 way through for a 2 minute break, kids distracting me.

But after I finished C25K, I went for another 30 minutes. Ran 1 mile at a 4.5 with 2 -1 minute walking breaks. All totaled I did 4.1 miles in 61 minutes.
    I feel comfortable moving up to increase my time running. Last time I struggled with it, a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Desiree

Desiree <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

Wow great job!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!

4. Radiorox

Radiorox Live from the city of Magic.

I'm starting tomorrow or Monday. I was supposed to start yesterday but, my work scheule got wonky. Wound up working 11 hours. However, I did start P90X LOL!! Good luck everyone!! :-)

5. Desiree

Good luck to you! Can't wait to read about your progress!

6. Sparkie

Sparkie DIS Veteran

Hi ALL!

I am joining you from: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=47344285&posted=1#post47344285

I'm 47, out of shape, overweight, hypertensive.... and I'm SICK of it!
    I started working night shift again 8 years ago and in that time, I have gained 60 pounds, have no energy, could sleep 24/7, and have developed the worst eating habits.... Also in that time I have GAINED 2 grandchildren whom I absolutely adore and want to have the energy to play with. This things along with financial incentive from my company to get healthy have started my quest for The Expedition Everest Challenge....

So I did my very First Couch to 5k workout today. Just let me tell you 30 seconds seems like a long time. I am definately a beginner.... my walk was at 2.3 and my jog was at 4.0. But that is all I can do right now. I didnt get winded but my right calf was cramping up a good bit. I thought my problem would be my left big toe, since it has been broken and trying to heal for about a year but so far "boo-boo toe" is holding up.

Looking forward to chatting with ya'll and getting healthier.

7. momto3gr8boys

momto3gr8boys DIS Veteran

That is awesome! Have you thought about moving on the the bridge to the 10k?

Can't wait to hear how your first day goes, but from what I hear about P90X, W1D1 should be a piece of cake!

So glad you decided to come join us here! Congratulations on getting out there and doing day one! And I think you will be amazed that it will get easier over the next few weeks. As for the calf, make sure you are well hydrated and try to gently stretch it out a bit each day, even when you aren't running. Looking forward to your progress!

I did W7D2 today and went my farthest distances in these past two days (2.69 and 2.71 miles). The thing is, a real 5k is still almost half a mile away, but I think I will get there in the next two weeks. I'm just impressed it's been 7 weeks and I'm still doing it. I actually look forward to it now!

Oh and Shhhhhhh.....this is a BIG secret, but I surprise booked a quick cruise for the family in May on the Dream and I am planning on running the Castaway Cay 5k!! :hyper: You can see the details in my PTR in my sig line if you are interested.

8. Sparkie

Sparkie DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tip about the calf pain. I was drinking water while I was walking but maybe I should hydrate prior to starting. Stretches definately a good idea. My achelies tendon is very tight- prob a dancer and an gymnast thing from days gone by so it is hard to stretch but will get better.

My main goal is to Finish the race.... I dont want that golf cart to pick me up because I am too slow..... NO cart rider for me ;)

Came home and had an eggwhite omelet with greenpeppers, onion, and fresh tomatoes and more water. Lunch plans are a Boca burger and Lean Cuisine and salad for dinner. Cant promise i wont indulge in a treat but I actually feel like I have acomplished something, Something JUST FOR ME.....

I may not be fast, heck, I may not even qualify as SLOW but at least I got off the COUCH today :thumbsup2

9. MamaCrush

MamaCrush DIS Veteran

Welcome! I think you're off to a great start! My walk is 2.8-3.0, with a 3.5 run. My goal is to get to 3.3+ walk with a 4.0 run by the May Expedition Everest Challenge. Here's some pixie dust for everyone! pixiedust:

10. MamaCrush

MamaCrush DIS Veteran

How exciting!!! I would LOVE to do the CC 5K someday. Can't wait to hear all about it!

11. Kathymford

Kathymford A little obsessed is ok....right?

What are you guys using to figure out your runs? Help the new girl out! :)

12. Desiree

Congrats on D1! It definitely gets easier! I agree about the water. Usually the day before I run, I make sure I drink all my water for the day (at the very least 80oz). Otherwise, I've found that my legs sometimes feel like lead when I run.

Wow wow wow! That is awesome! How exciting!

13. Desiree

I used the C25K App to help guide when you are supposed to run and when you are supposed to walk. To figure out my pace and all that other stuff, I use Endomondo app.

14. MamaCrush

MamaCrush DIS Veteran

Right now I'm running on a treadmill and those are the settings I can handle right now. Once I head outdoors, I'll use an app on my iPhone called runKeeper. Hope this helps!

15. princessfionasmom

princessfionasmom DIS Veteran

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Starting is the hardest part. I did the C25K when I started running and after that first day I though I was going to die. I had never run before and was training for the WDW half marathon, I thought I was crazy. But I stuck to it and ran the whole thing. We are our own worse enemy when it comes to things like this. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!!

16. keahgirl8

keahgirl8 DIS Veteran

You are so right! Starting is the hardest part. I spent so many years saying "I can't." My new goal is to stop saying that. Negativity got me more than 100 pounds overweight. Positivity got me to lose it. So no more "I can't!"

17. momto3gr8boys

My C25K app gives you the breakdown at the end. It will tell you your walk mileage and pace, your run mileage and pace and your overall mileage and pace. Here's what mine from today looked like:

[​IMG]

18. MamaCrush

MamaCrush DIS Veteran

I like the looks of that! Have you tried it indoors on a treadmill? Some GPS apps won't work indoors...

19. momto3gr8boys

I did try it once (actually the only time I ran on a treadmill when it was -5 degrees out) and it did not work for that day. It still told me when to walk/run, but it did not track my info, so I guess that wouldn't work for treadmill runners.

20. keahgirl8

keahgirl8 DIS Veteran

My app is great for the intervals, but it's not keeping track of anything! Every time I finish it says zero, but it shows that the workout was complete.

21. Kathymford

Kathymford A little obsessed is ok....right?

Yes, this is what I use, but when I saw people posted 4s and 5s I was wondering, wow, how slow am I?? But now it makes sense if those are treadmill paces. My C25K has my Day 1 walk/run at an averate 14:25. A little slower once my legs were sore. Ha.

Thanks for the advice everyone!