BWV Renovation

I just stayed at BWV from 8/14-8/17. We had a 2 bedroom. We were on the 5th floor and our room had been renovated. The carpet in the halls on the fifth floor was new and different from the carpets on any of the other floors. I checked! I don't know if the rooms on lower floors have been finished, but the carpet in the halls has not. When I checked in, the cast member checking me in said the renovation was running a year behind schedule!! Don't know how true that is, just what she said.

The one bedroom part of the room had a queen bed, a pull out sofa queen bed and the pull down murphy bed. All three beds were used by my family. It was crowded but you didn't bump into furniture when everything was in use.

The renovation was very nice. Loved the new colors of the sofas and the hall carpet. Same old washer/dryer, kitchen appliances. Still need to add shelving in the master bathroom where the shower is.

I just stayed at BWV from 8/14-8/17. We had a 2 bedroom. We were on the 5th floor and our room had been renovated. The carpet in the halls on the fifth floor was new and different from the carpets on any of the other floors. I checked! I don't know if the rooms on lower floors have been finished, but the carpet in the halls has not. When I checked in, the cast member checking me in said the renovation was running a year behind schedule!! Don't know how true that is, just what she said.

The one bedroom part of the room had a queen bed, a pull out sofa queen bed and the pull down murphy bed. All three beds were used by my family. It was crowded but you didn't bump into furniture when everything was in use.

The renovation was very nice. Loved the new colors of the sofas and the hall carpet. Same old washer/dryer, kitchen appliances. Still need to add shelving in the master bathroom where the shower is.

Do you mean the studio portion of the room had the murphy bed? I believe the one bedrooms are not getting the additional bed.

I was recently in VWL refurbed room, and they had painted the kitchen cabinets with latex paint and a roller-- left roller marks all over the cabinets and anyone with a clue about paint knows that latex paint does not stick to the original lacquer or pigmented varnish that is on the cabinets-- There were already spots that the paint was peeling. Hope they will learn from this---

Does anyone know how far along they are with the refurb. Staying just after Thanksgiving and hoping for a refub studio!

We were there 8/1 to 8/8 and had a studio G/P view and a 1BR standard view. We were on 5th floor and rooms were renovated. They left old square ugly tile in kitchen and bathroom. They left old thermostat where you slide from hot to cold (no temp). They left old shower on/off handle with silver peeling off. They seemed to leave old appliances (except TVs, the new TVs are sweet!) as the dryer didn't dry well (took 3 hours to dry a load) and the microwave had a crack in the front (we didn't use it at all though). The new shower/tub in the studio didn't drain nor did the bathroom door click shut (just could push open). The studio was to the left off the elevator (overlooked green area by lobby and had side view of boardwalk). It was close to the construction going on and we could hear it very loudly through the venting. Was annoying. Our 1Br was to the right off the elevator and down the hallway a bit. It was quiet there. There were electrical problems on the 4th floor, we heard from another guest. One or two of the 3 elevators didn't work the whole week. We were promised that construction would only be 9am to 5pm and that was okay (though I'd rather 10-11am to 6-7pm). But one morning, after late EMH to MK and getting to bed at 3:30am, it woke my family members (staying in the studio) at 8am (maybe they needed to work on the 4th floor electrical issue). The family then texted us to see what to do for breakfast and woke us up too. In speaking with manager, upon check out, they offered to give us 1 night's points back for both rooms (56 total) and we were very happy with that. We own at BWV and have had GREAT stays there and I will appreciate the renovations in the end. I know they can't close down the whole resort while they renovate. But the stays, during renovations, should take less points and we basically got back 8 points per night which is reasonable. And they made a note to fix the things I mentioned (dryer, shower drain, bathroom door latch). The 1BR was just fine and I would stay in that room right now if we had a trip coming up.

It's too bad about some of the old things left out of the Reno. The model units off the boardwalk looked amazing in June. Wonder if those are "souped up" to attract buyers but the reality it different?

It's too bad about some of the old things left out of the Reno. The model units off the boardwalk looked amazing in June. Wonder if those are "souped up" to attract buyers but the reality it different?
The rooms do look really nice and at first those things aren't noticed (plus the models don't get used so the silver wouldn't wear off the shower handle nor would the microwave have a crack). But, overall, the rooms are really lovely.

Keep in mind that the renovation is paid through member dues. There isn't an unlimited budget to replace everything. I'm surprised they did as much as they did considering there was a renovation in 2009/2010. BCV opened around 2002 and has not had anything done yet. Some of the items mentioned are actually maintenance items - like the cracked microwave and the bathroom door not closing.

Keep in mind that the renovation is paid through member dues. There isn't an unlimited budget to replace everything. I'm surprised they did as much as they did considering there was a renovation in 2009/2010. BCV opened around 2002 and has not had anything done yet. Some of the items mentioned are actually maintenance items - like the cracked microwave and the bathroom door not closing.
Agreed.

I am going to do my best to not pre-hate the remodel at BWV until I have actually seen/stayed in one of the rooms. (In October I will see the 1 Bedroom Unit, if I get a renovated room.) But I will truly MISS the whimsy that previous Imagineers have brought to each resort's theming. I felt that everything went together in a fun, crazy way... but it felt like a cohesive design. Now what we have is a mix of beige furniture, forest/olive green walls, beige bedding, white furniture, cherry furniture. It is like a hodgepodge/mishmash put together by someone who did not go to design school. Does anyone else miss the teacup lamps?? These special touches were part and parcel of what made up the character of our favorite resorts... (But there I go pre-judging!) :crazy2:

It should be obvious to everyone that the reason some of these choices are made is to make it faster for the cleaning staff to turn over the rooms. Juicy Juice stains on the carpet involves more time/effort to get ready for the next guest, whereas laminate takes a few minutes to swipe with a mop and dry. The same is true with the acrylic tiles that are being used in the bathrooms and kitchens. No moldy grout to clean or need for bleach! :-)

BTW, doesn't Disney also pay a portion of the renovations? Especially since they own part of the inventory?

Last edited:

DVC's are deluxe resorts and IMO should receive a deluxe refurbishment, not a poor quality, half done job. If I wanted to stay at a motel 6, I would stay off property.

If DVDMC would stop wasting money, be accountable, insist on quality workmanship, I wouldn't mind spending more on dues.

As it is now it's like a crap shoot that we are often embarrassed to bring friends and family to. You might get a okay room, you may not.

:earsboy: Bill

I am going to do my best to not pre-hate the remodel at BWV until I have actually seen/stayed in one of the rooms. (In October I will see the 1 Bedroom Unit, if I get a renovated room.) But I will truly MISS the whimsy that previous Imagineers have brought to each resort's theming. I felt that everything went together in a fun, crazy way... but it felt like a cohesive design. Now what we have is a mix of beige furniture, forest/olive green walls, beige bedding, white furniture, cherry furniture. It is like a hodgepodge/mishmash put together by someone who did not go to design school. Does anyone else miss the teacup lamps?? These special touches were part and parcel of what made up the character of our favorite resorts... (But there I go pre-judging!) :crazy2:

It should be obvious to everyone that the reason some of these choices are made is to make it faster for the cleaning staff to turn over the rooms. Juicy Juice stains on the carpet involves more time/effort to get ready for the next guest, whereas laminate takes a few minutes to swipe with a mop and dry. The same is true with the acrylic tiles that are being used in the bathrooms and kitchens. No moldy grout to clean or need for bleach! :-)

BTW, doesn't Disney also pay a portion of the renovations? Especially since they own part of the inventory?

I have seen Jersey shore first hand....and the rooms at BoardWalk did not remind me of any of the beach homes I've been in. The old time photos on the wall of people on the beach....yes. And looking out the sliders at the BoardWalk itself....sure does look like the shore. And the lobby....ever really look at all of the things displayed on the tables and such?

The partial rehab done a few years back was very pleasing to me.....especially when they got rid of those awful "coil type" electric stove tops and replaced them with glass tops.

Agree that they are going with easy maintenance stuff. Okay with me....I'm just not sure how laminate floor will hold up with people dragging suitcases and chairs around.

About the hodge podge.....in my younger years, I would be in and out of many summer rentals at the shore and the furniture was just that. Whatever could be used....cast offs from relatives, garage sale, etc.

The only way to find out who pays for what is to read all of the financials. I am quite sure Disney pays for plenty. I'm not complaining, as my dues are still pretty reasonable in my opinion. I expect a clean room with functioning appliances and the starter packs of things that are supposed to be there. I want my bath towels hung nicely and the bathroom to be clear of any hair. I want the kitchen sink to be shined. And I have only been disappointed once a long time ago....and it was quickly remedied.

I am not expecting that new couch to be very comfortable.....but I have yet to find ANY pull out couch at Disney to be comfortable. I always feel like I am going to pitch forward.

And yes, I will miss the teacup lamps. I wonder if any have shown up on e-bay yet. A cast member said they had some kind of lottery....so I should make friends with some cast members that may want to sell theirs. Who knows if that is true, though. Someone else was told the contractor got them. One of those "Disney mysteries".

We were in a standard studio on August 1 and it was not renovated. This was on the second floor.

I'm wondering how the clothing storage with the new white armoire compares to the old drawers under the TV. It seems like it's gone from bad to worse. Why increase the number of people if they're not also going to increase the storage?

I'm wondering how the clothing storage with the new white armoire compares to the old drawers under the TV. It seems like it's gone from bad to worse. Why increase the number of people if they're not also going to increase the storage?
Our studio had the white armoire thing. My teens were in the room and didn't use it at all but lived out of exploded suitcases (the room looked like a tornado hit with their clothes everywhere). It did look like a nice amount of storage though. My DDs-16 were too big for the flip down TV bed and it has an awkward wooden plank like thing above your head that I am sure the kiddos will be banging their heads on. I wish I took pictures.

Teacup lamps - now that is something should be sold to DVC members. I'd rather buy some authentic used lamps than 10 DVC tee shirts or hats. Send me a hat for free once in a while.

Teacup lamps - now that is something should be sold to DVC members. I'd rather buy some authentic used lamps than 10 DVC tee shirts or hats. Send me a hat for free once in a while.
Big sigh! I saw one sell on eBay after the fact back in July!:sad:

We will be checking into a studio for 12 nights on Saturday. Anyone know how much of the refurb is complete? We've requested a room close to lobby and elevator. Any chance these are finished? Thanks!

We are in a standard room in the 5th floor and its renovated. The first floor is not. I've not checked the other floors. Not a big fan of the vinyl floors in the kitchenette area. Our magnified mirror is falling off. We need to call about that.

We will be checking into a studio for 12 nights on Saturday. Anyone know how much of the refurb is complete? We've requested a room close to lobby and elevator. Any chance these are finished? Thanks!

At check in just ask for a refurbished room.

:earsboy: Bill

If anyone is hoping for a refurbished standard room, don't count on it. We are in a standard room on the 5th floor and its refurbished. We were curious last night and explored the standard wing. To our shock we saw that only the standard 5th floor has been done. The standard wing rooms on floors 1-4 have not even begun. We are having a pool day today and will explore more parts today. The tennis court parking lot is still limited too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter