BVC gator is alive and well

Disney Hot Mama

DIS Veteran<br><font color=coral>Onion haters unit
We were coming home from Disney Market place tonight. Walking from the parking lot to the villas we actually saw it - the BVC gator. There were some kids feeding something hotdogs. We stopped to tell them not to feel the ducks 0r so we thought that was what they were feeding. Well low and behold the gator was there having a late night snack. I ran up to the room and grabbed my digital and 35 mm camera and made it down to see him BUT it was so dark the camera would not focus so I have no photos to show you but he was/is there. I always though the stories I read were fiction but now I have seen him with my two eyes. Looks very tame as he waited for his snack.

Originally posted by Disney Hot Mama
We were coming home from Disney Market place tonight. Walking from the parking lot to the villas we actually saw it - the BVC gator. There were some kids feeding something hotdogs. We stopped to tell them not to feel the ducks 0r so we thought that was what they were feeding. Well low and behold the gator was there having a late night snack. I ran up to the room and grabbed my digital and 35 mm camera and made it down to see him BUT it was so dark the camera would not focus so I have no photos to show you but he was/is there. I always though the stories I read were fiction but now I have seen him with my two eyes. Looks very tame as he waited for his snack.

They have them all over. Shades of Green has a 3-4 ft one..

We saw it last August, but this past May we did not see the gator. It is kinda exciting to see it, the kids are always looking for it.

Careful there. My old friend Four Finger Freddy says Al E. Gator is always looking for a hand out.;)

Please share this info from the Florida Wildlife and Game Division:
"An alligator's awesome countenance and menacing jaws evoke fear and respect from humans. Although the alligator is a predator, its appetite includes almost anything and, unfortunately, there have been a small number of tragic alligator attacks on people. Even though the risk of a person being injured or killed by an alligator is very low, it does exist.

Despite all this, some visitors and state residents still delight in feeding alligators. This results in the reptiles overcoming their natural shyness and becoming accustomed to humans. Some have become so used to humans and food handouts that they exhibit little, if any, fear of man.

Apart from the risk people impose upon themselves by feeding an alligator, they are also conditioning the animal to associate people with food. For this reason, Florida law prohibits feeding of wild alligators."

I can not believe that adults allow children to feed this alligator.

You should hear the stories my daughter could tell about vistors feeding bears, etc. There are many people out there that do not understand what they are dealing with when it comes to wild life. Bears for example tear car doors off like they are made of paper.

Wild animals should not be fed, they lose their fear of humans and that alligator is learning that all humans are potential portable refrigerators.

Bobbi

When you are crossing the bridge from the parking lot.

We were feeding bread to the fish and ducks tossing the bread over the bridge into the water. The alligator must have noticed all the activity of the feeding fish and ducks and came from under the tunnel out into the open.

I think the birds and ducks are pretty much dependent, as I have seen birds steal Ketchup packets and eat them at WDW. The ducks were swimming in SAB right along with the kids so their natural fear is pretty much gone. We have always visited the lakes and ponds and fed ducks and birds. I wouldnt hand anything to a gator though.

In general, its a bad idea to feed any creature that you aren't willing to take responsibility for (behavior, health, and reproduction-wise). While birds and small animals may just become pests (and/or overpopulated)....large animals can be very dangerous.

And this applies to domesticated animals too....feral cats and dogs are a huge problem in many places.

Off my soapbox now.....too much personal experience in this area to keep quiet.

Speaking of the ducks. I have a friend who was a lifeguard at SAB and they really try to keep the ducks out of the pool for many reasons. One being they make a huge mess, with duck poo in the pool.

But also people were feeding them and an owl swooped down one early evening and scared the poo out of everyone around the ducks.

The lifeguard tried to explain to everyone that people had been feeding the ducks and now they are not afraid to come in the pools with humans. But the owl sees the ducks as his next meal and gives no regard to the fact that kids are in the way.

I really do not advice anyone to feed any of the birds, ducks, alligators or any wildlife at Disney. I have seen some very scarey scenes with the birds due to people feeding them.

Except for your kids, please feed them. :)

Yes feeding these animals changes their natural behavior.
This alligator found it's way around Tom Sawyer's Island last year. People were trying to feed it from the walkway in Frontierland :confused:
fb3bed74.jpg

A woman lost part of her arm and is in critical condition today after being attacked by a 12ft gator in Ft Meyer's Oops actually Sanibel yesterday while doing some landscaping at the edge of a pond.

yes, i just saw that on the news this morn....they said she was crouched down trimming some bushes, shes a landscaper...two men helped rescue her and the police....they said if her arm hadnt been intangled in the vines the gator would have taken her out further in the water and drown her and you know the rest.....the folks living there have know about this gator for yrs. assuming its the same one they said..

On our trip last Dec my wife and the kids and I went to Merit Island for a side trip. We stopped at the information centre and on our way out we saw an alligator sitting by the pond to the left. So I pulled the van over and hopped out with camera in hand and made my way over to the alligator. Yes everyone else stayed in the van it was about 6 feet long or so and I was able to get about 20 feet from it taking pictures. My wife started yelling at me to stop so while I was turned around talking to her it hopped up on its hind legs and jumped into the pond. So I didn't get the picture of it getting into the water would have been a cool pic but I did get numerous other pics of it while it was laying at the side of the pond. Coolest thing I had seen on the trip and we plan to go back next time to see if he is still there so I can get more pictures.

Something else that many people not familar with alligators do not realize is that for short distances they are very, very fast. Their appearance would lead one to think they are slow moving creatures but this is not true. So stay away from them.

We saw Al last August while staying at the BCV.
He tended to come out later in the afternoon.
One day there was a whole family on the bridge feeding him Captain Crunch.

fa8491c9.jpg

fa8491b4.jpg

That landscaper has died in surgery. Please don't do anything foolish around alligators, we don't want to read about fellow DISers making headlines.

Bobbi:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter