Buying water at airport?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by lorac4disney, May 28, 2010.

1. lorac4disney

lorac4disney Mouseketeer

I like bringing frozen bottles of water into the parks with us, but we are flying this time instead of driving. I don't want to spend the money to rent a car. We are using ME to get to and from WDW.

I was wondering if any of you know if there is somewhere in MCO where you can buy a case or 12 pack of bottled water. If so, I was wondering about how much it costs. Since water is all that I need, I really don't want to use one of the grocery delivery services for this if it's going to wind up costing me more once you factor in delivery fees and tips.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disney_Freak56

Disney_Freak56 DIS Veteran

I don't believe there is a place at the airport to purchase a case or even a 12 pack of water.

I see you're staying at Pop Century. One Suggestion would be to take a cab from PC to the Hess Station near the Boardwalk, have the driver wait, run and buy water there.

It's been awhile, but it seems like either Costco or Sam's Club would ship water. Have you looked at their websites?

4. lorac4disney

lorac4disney Mouseketeer

I haven't looked at their website. I don't have a membership with them (none in my rural area to shop at), but I'll check it out to see if it would be worth getting one.

5. SkinsFan76

SkinsFan76 Mouseketeer

Do you have room to just take empty water bottles and fill at the hotel? You could crush them down and then reform them when you get in.

6. Duckyiam71

Duckyiam71 DIS Veteran

I have never used the grocery delivery services but there is a lot of rave reviews on them. I dont know if you have a enough time to place an order but it is worth a look see. here are the 2 sites I have seen http://www.gardengrocer.com/ and http://www.wegoshop.com/. They can also deliver other things other than water. Have fun!

7. ssawka

ssawka DIS Veteran

I'm not sure of anywhere at the airport to get H2O, but I can't imagine that it would be cheaper than at Disney. Now I'm not sure about Pop Century, but most of the resorts (especially the DVC resorts) have some grocery items available.

Honestly though, I would just buy a single bottle and see if you can get spring H2O at the resort. Disney sells spring H2O for $3-$4 a gallon, which is much cheaper than buying individual bottles.

8. Poohbug

Poohbug Sherlocked

I looked around MCO recently and could not find cases or multi-packs of water or pop anywhere. I think the drinks were priced pretty high at the airport and it would not be worth it.

I am thinking about ordering from one of the grocery delivery places before our cruise next year. Not so much for food-more for drinks. We are staying the night before the cruise at a hotel near the airport. I am hoping they will deliver to the hotel and I can bring it on the cruise with me as I am not planning on renting a car.

9. christinec68

christinec68 Mouseketeer

What about placing an order with Staples? They can ship it to your resort. I just checked it with a test order -it's $4.99 for a case of 24 waters plus $9.9for shipping plus tax.

10. asoko

asoko Mouseketeer

when I ordered from costco a couple years ago, I didn't need a membership. and the price included shipping.

I think the dolphin and boardwalk also had a convenience type stores that my husband thinks had 6 packs of water. They were not grocery store price, but lower than the parks.

11. Nette

Nette DIS Veteran

Reusable bottles and a small brita pitcher. That's what we did last summer and the water was perfect (not stinky at all). They even have reusable bottles with the filter built in now.

12. Disney_Freak56

Disney_Freak56 DIS Veteran

Costco has 24 packs for $6.99 and you don't have to be a member to ship them. For a TWO 24 packs, there was an non-member charge of 70 cents and sales tax was added, but no shipping charge.

Since your trip is coming up and with Monday being a holiday, if this sounds good to you, I would go ahead and order within the next day or two.

And since I was just at WDW less than 3 weeks ago, at $2.50 a bottle of water in the Parks, this is a pretty sweet deal!

13. seashoreCM

seashoreCM All around nice guy.

I would be concerned that crushing and reforming might result in tiny leaks.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

14. Mickey527

Mickey527 DIS Veteran

If your flying just buy them and pack them in your luggage with your clothing. If your luggage is under the 50 lbs then you have to pay anyway so pack it. I always have a car, either rental or my own when I drive so I pick the water up at Walmart and if I have any left I pack it for home.
    I also bring an empty refillable bottle to the airport with me and once I am through security I fill it at the McD's at the soda fountain with WATER. Or just ask at one of the restaraunts for a glass of ice water. I like crystal light thinned down so I add a packet to the 32 oz bottle and I am set for the airport and the flight.
    If you are at the POP just hop on the DTD bus and walk across to the Hess station there, get what you need and get back on the bus. You can do some shopping at DTD while there too. A taxi would be ok, but the busses run every 15 min so you won't have long to wait.
    They do sell water at all the resorts but they are $2.50 each. It would be cheaper to pick up a bunch, or even a gallon of water and use your refillable bottles.

15. rebeccalb10

rebeccalb10 Mouseketeer

You can get ice water for free from any counter service restaurant. I just took a Nalgen container and kept filling it up from counter service.

16. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Thirty-two cents per bottle from Costco - assuming the seventy cent non-member charge is taxed; slightly less if it's not.

Each case will cost you less that what three individual bottles would onsite.

17. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Please don't pack bottles of water in your luggage. I have had my clothes dampened by something in another persons luggage.

We do sell water here in Orlando. Just go to the Hess station and you can purchase it.

18. epcotfan

epcotfan http://youtube.com/wdwchannel1

Try Garden Grocer. They deliver. Minimum order is $40 + shipping I believe. They were great for ordering water, pop, snacks, etc. Will definitely use them again. They accept Paypal for payment also.

19. sameyeyam

sameyeyam <font color=royalblue>Cancer didn't take my life,

If you don't mind the water in Florida, but just want the bottles to drink it out of, I recommend bringing EMPTY, clean water bottles in your suitcase. Then just fill them with tap water when you get there.

Or go to the counter service places in the parks and ask for a FREE cup of ice water.:thumbsup2 Just because they sell expensive bottled water at the resorts doesn't mean they don't still have FREE cups of ice water just for the asking.

20. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

Yes they do sell water in Orlando, but if I don't have a rental car, I don't want to spend valuable time, or cab fare, or a hefty delivery fee from the grocery shoppers just for water. Esp, if I have room in my luggage. I DO however, pack my waters and Diet Dew for that matter, in double plastic ziploc bags. I have done this many times and have never had one break.
    I am sorry for your experience, but to expect everyone else checking luggage not to pack any sort of liquid is just not reasonable IMHO. :goodvibes

21. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

I never broke my leg... until I broke my leg. There's a first time for everything. If you insist on packing the water, so be it. Please use more protection than you've been using.

But PLEASE stop bringing soda, or any other potentially damaging liquid, in your checked luggage. Again, there's a first time for everything. How happy would you be if my Diet Dr Pepper leaked all over your stuff?

Expecting one's desires to supercede the comfort of all other passengers on the plane is disingenuous. Is $12 for grocery delivery REAL such a deal-breaker? With any reasonably-sized purchase, you come out far ahead over buying anything onsite.