Buying dvc on Disney Cruise trip

yaddakal

DIS Veteran
Have been searching forums and can't find any info on if it would be worth our time to go to dvc talk on our fantasy cruise coming up in August. We have been thinking of buying. Have been there four times in 5 years. I wonder if anyone knows if you go to this talk if there are any incentives or if they are pushy etc. not 100% sure on buying. Need more info still..
Thanks!

You can go for informational purposes if you want to learn about the program. They are generally not pushy just remember their job is to sell you on dvc not present you with a 100% unbiased view. I sat through a presentation in April on the Fantasy. It took an hour, they gave me a free bottle of water, and they had a raffle for all present to win a $200 stateroom credit. I didn't win :(

The DVC presentations will be listed in the Navigator. We are DVC members and have purchased additional points on a cruise. The incentives are pretty awesome - usually some sort of OBC, plus additional incentives on either the purchase price, banking, extra points, etc. on top of the standard on-land incentives. The presentations are usually about an hour, typically have some give-aways (and/or a drawing of some sort) and the guides are not pushy at all about trying to get you to schedule a meeting to talk options - mostly because all of their times are usually scheduled without needing to be any more pushy than the presentation already is! :rotfl:

We always attend the member celebration (or both, if there are two) and sometimes attend other events as well - just for the freebies! ;) Also, they usually have some kind of member referral bonus on the cruise so if you can find a DVC member on-board to refer you, you both may end up with some extra stuff.

Enjoy your cruise!

They are listed in the Navigator. We went a few years ago, just for fun- not currently a DVC owner, but now seriously thinking about it. I won the raffle of $300 on board credit!

You will find the DVC CMs to be very polished sales people. Friendly and notpushy, but they will get you excited. The problem is that if you haven't done research on current pricing, resale market, and DVC news, you will not have much chance to comparison shop on the boat.

You may find yourself with buyers remorse when you return, just because you were not fully informed. We did the tour at DL 2 years ago, almost bought direct while there, but waited and bought resale 1 year ago. Very happy members.

You may get a gift, you may win a raffle but emotionally it's the worst place to buy. You are confined on a Disney themed ship, surrounded by Disney assuming that the DVC will make the feeling only stronger.

DVC is just a hotel room, the same room you can pay cash for and not have to deal with DVC's issues. The only way to find out if DVC is for you is to do the numbers, decide if you will vacation every couple of years for several years and if you like what DVC has to offer.

:earsboy: Bill

Hi! We bought on a cruise in 2013 and there were incentives. Can't remember the exact detail now, but $ per point were less by a couple of dollars and they offered $1K shipboard credit if we bought a certain number of points. However, we bought Villas at Grand Floridian so the incentives did not apply. Alas, but we really didn't want Aulani! There is no pressure but do your homework before you board. As far as buyer's remorse, they gave us 30 days to think about it after we signed. We are going on another cruise this year so ended up selling our points - they are not worth using for a cruise. Know that too! They are best for the parks.

I bought on a cruise , they were giving on board credits depending on how may points you bought . They also were giving an extra 20 points for every 100 bought at AKV, aulani , at the time .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter