Buying a ticket for 18 month old

zippehsmom

DIS Veteran
OK here's my problem. After reading several threads about safety and infants in carseats on the plane, I am now rethinking my decision to not purchase a ticket for 18 month DD. We've flown before several times with first DD before she was 2, and we never purchased a ticket for her. I honestly never thought about buying one.

My 18 month old DD does not really like her carseat much at all. Of course she is in it whenever we drive, but she doesn't like it. My It will be 4 additional people flying, so we will have almost a whole row.

I guess my question is how many people have flown with infants and not purchased a seat for them? What were your experiences?

Thanks for any advice or input anyone might have.

Zippehsmom:D

I'm sorry my answer is 16 years old, but back then, i just bought my 18 month old a seat and seat-belted him in next to me. I didn't want to hold him on my lap for 3 hours. Are children that age still allowed to be seat-belted in their own seat without a carseat? If so, that might be a good idea.

We flew twice with our dd when she was 12 months and 18 months. We didn't buy her a ticket and was lucky enough to get a seat for her all the time. She didn't like to sit in her seat at all except to sleep. She most of the time will either sit on my lap or dh's lap and play. The last leg of the flight. she slept the whole time but we didn't have the carseat with us so she slept on my lap and it's very uncomfortable for me and I couldn't rest at all!!

I'll admit that I have flown many times with unseated infants and will be doing so again next week with my 7mo. When they are really young and will spend most of their time sleeping in your arms, it is easy. When they are closer to 2, and used to walking around, it is HARD. Especially flying cross country. If money weren't an object, I would buy a seat for my kids once they started to crawl. Make sure you bring lots of snacks, treats and things to do.

I would buy the ticket. They become little rockets in the case of turbulance and holding on to them is almost impossible. They are much safer in their seats. In the case of a crash or emergency landing, God forbid, you are required to put the child on the floor between your feet and hold on to them. Good trick.
To me, the issue is not even a debate, it is a given, buy the seat.

We have flown twice with DD when she was under 2. We always bought her a seat. However, on the first flight, she was still breastfeeding so I did take her out to nurse her when the seatbelt signs were off. And I held her for awhile while she napped. I always made sure she was in her seat for take off and landing. :)

Most airlines offer discounted seats (usually 1/2 price) for those under 2 years old. :)

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Especially the part about getting airfare half off. I think I will call Northwest and check into that.

Thanks again for all your helpful advice and tips.

zippehsmom:D

Originally posted by zippehsmom
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Especially the part about getting airfare half off. I think I will call Northwest and check into that.

Thanks again for all your helpful advice and tips.

Infant fares are usually based on discountiing a FULL FARE ticket. 9 out of 10 times 1/2 of a FULL FARE ticket is WAY MORE than just buying a regular discounted seat.

Originally posted by prncess674
Infant fares are usually based on discountiing a FULL FARE ticket. 9 out of 10 times 1/2 of a FULL FARE ticket is WAY MORE than just buying a regular discounted seat.

We have only flown NorthWest with DD and have always gotten 1/2 price of what our ticket price was. One time their system woud not let me get the 1/2 price online so I called and they gave it to me over the phone with no problems. :)

Hope it works out for you Zippehsmom! :)

Prncess, the half-off full-fare policy is true for SWA, but it usually is not true for the more traditional carriers. Most of them will sell a domestic infant fare for 50-60% of whatever fare the adults in the party are paying.

On SWA, unless the alternative is to pay the fully-refundable Anytime fare, the "infant fare" is usually NOT the best price available.

Originally posted by prncess674

Not true on American Airlines. We paid 50% of our discounted fare for our 13 month old. A bargain at $100 for her safety and comfort IMHO.

My point being is to check the price both ways. Buying an infant fare or just a regular fare. You may be suprised and find that the fares are cheaper. Either way I would buy your kid a seat. Holding a baby for an entire flight is tiring.

DW has flown at least once each year since our DS's were born (1998 and 2000), usually to visit relatives in TN. Each time, when she was able, she did not buy a seat for them. I do know that she mentioned that, once the DS's were too big to carry in the "newborn" carseat, that flying was NOT easy at all! IMO, get the DD her own seat. If nothing else, your thighs and knees will thank you!

Dave

Thanks for all the advice.

I did call Northwest today, and she said that an infant fare was not available because our fare was already discounted. So, if I want to purchase her a ticket it would be regular price. It's kind of a bummer because ticket prices have gone up since we purchased our tickets. Although if Northwest is anything like CRO maybe if I call back I will get a different answer.

I'm still up in the air about this although I'm seriously leaning towards just getting her a ticket.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

Originally posted by zippehsmom
Thanks for all the advice.

I did call Northwest today, and she said that an infant fare was not available because our fare was already discounted. So, if I want to purchase her a ticket it would be regular price. It's kind of a bummer because ticket prices have gone up since we purchased our tickets. Although if Northwest is anything like CRO maybe if I call back I will get a different answer.

I'm still up in the air about this although I'm seriously leaning towards just getting her a ticket.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

I would keep calling back.

When I couldn't book the 1/2 price online I called and the agent had to book me under one booking class and DD under another one in order to get the discount. And the fares were discounted because they were a promo.

So maybe try again. :)

My sister is a flight attendant & FIRMLY suggests getting your child his/her own seat & having them ride in their carseat. We got our 18 mo.old a seat on AA for $100.00. Well worth it! Also, if you bring on a carseat, it must be next to the window. It cannot be in the middle or aisle seat due to FAA guidelines.

When you call make sure you're asking about the infant fare (for children under age 2). You may need a birth certificate.

The childs fare for kids over age 2 is normally more expensive than the discounted fares that are available but the infant fares may be a good deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter