Buyer beware...-- update

disneycruisedreams

Mouseketeer
I havebought 1000's of dollars in Target gift cards from Raise with absolutely no problems. Tuesday I bought a $250 GC to Journeys and placed an order within minutes of getting the card emailed to me. Today I ended up canceling the order because Journeys said the GC was purchased with a stolen credit card and they would not honor it. I am in the process of trying to get my money back from Raise. What are my chances?? I am waiting for a call back.
I am so upset that this is allowed to happen. Where I work any time a large amount of gift cards are purchased or a high dollar amount we have to ask for ID. Doesn't anyone check these credit cards??

I havebought 1000's of dollars in Target gift cards from Raise with absolutely no problems. Tuesday I bought a $250 GC to Journeys and placed an order within minutes of getting the card emailed to me. Today I ended up canceling the order because Journeys said the GC was purchased with a stolen credit card and they would not honor it. I am in the process of trying to get my money back from Raise. What are my chances?? I am waiting for a call back.
I am so upset that this is allowed to happen. Where I work any time a large amount of gift cards are purchased or a high dollar amount we have to ask for ID. Doesn't anyone check these credit cards??

It is possible for ID to match the name on the CC and it still be fake especially with big operations. They will skim the number and reprint the card in a new name so people won't question the purchases.

If you bought the gift card on a credit card alert your bank and they will take care of it.

Thank you... I guess I'm naive to this fraud thing. Good idea about taking it up with my credit card company. I am waiting for Raise to call me back. The hold queue was long so i have my place in line and they are supposed to call me back. I was 65th in line.

Raise just called back and they will refund the money. I'm happy I will get my money back but sad that I won't get the savings. Oh well... I have full confidence in Raise. Now just have to keep checking my cc statement for the refunds.

When I worked in retail I always asked for id. Sometimes when people are in divorce they may use the spouses card. Weather it be credit or debit.

According to the standard merchant agreement, the store is supposed to check the signature on the back of the card. If the card is blank, only then are they allowed to ask for your ID. At that point, they're supposed to make you sign the card in front of them and compare the signature to the ID. If the card is signed, they aren't allowed to require an ID.

What the new thing is. They get blank visa/amex/mastercard gift cards. They get the credit card info and use the newest machine to place the info on the gift cards. Than use the gift cards to buy legitimate gift cards, cigs, electronics, or other big ticket/resalable items. That is why a lot of merchants now will not let you buy gift cards with gift cards.

Truth be told most of the time when a person asks for id, they only look at the name to match the card. I know when I ask at my work, I just ask to see it, I do not take it from the customer just look at both names to verify. Since most sigs are done on the pin pad now, it would be to late to do anything to stop sale. It is done as a measure to help protect against id thief.

I have purchased thousands of dollars in Giftcards from Raise I have had a a very small percentage of cards be bad (2%?). Raise has always stood behind their guarantee and refunded my money within five days. OP: you should feel confident but yes, it is disappointing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter