But you CAN’T swim in Bay Lake, can you?? (A surprise pic-heavy report) COMPLETE!

lklasing

Told that I need DA meetings - Disney Anonymous
Hi everyone! :wave2: Welcome to my fourth trip report! (If any of you need any bedtime reading, the first three TRs are linked in my signature below.) This time, as we did the past two times before this trip, we were back at Fort Wilderness, staying in a cabin. We used to be Poly Concierge people, and certainly loved it there, but once we found the cabins at FW, we knew that’s where we would be staying on all future trips. We just love :lovestruc the Fort!

Anyway, here’s the cast of characters for the trip:

Me: a 42 year old Disney nut. While I had fun on my childhood trips to the World, I never knew how much I would love it once I started taking my kids. Somehow, it’s a completely different kind of thing to get to have fun at WDW with your kids, and amazingly better than it was when I was their age. I love everything about it – the planning :surfweb:, the thinking, the ADR-ing, the thinking some more, the re-doing of ADRs…. All of you know the drill. Anyway, here’s me:

DisneyLaborDay2009054.jpg

DH Ray: a 48 year old who tolerated WDW on the first couple of trips, but who has now really come to love it as much as me. That doesn’t mean he likes to plan the trips like I do, but he sure does love being there. Finding the cabins at FW was really the tipping point on Ray loving the trips – his ability to spread out in the cabin, not hear any kids running down the hall and just being out in nature (with a golf cart, of course!) increased his enjoyment of these trips tremendously. Ray (driving said golf cart):

DisneyLaborDay2009047.jpg

DD13 Danielle: Danielle is now officially a teenager and this was her first trip to the World with that designation. (She makes sure to remind me of her status frequently, in case I ever forget. :rolleyes: ) She is full of energy and life and definitely loves going to WDW as much as possible. Here’s Danielle:

P1030376.jpg

DD11 Jodi: Jodi is by far my more laid back daughter, but she is equally enthusiastic about WDW. In her writing journal for school this year, she has already written about how much she loves going to the World, even though at the time she wrote it, she had no idea there even was going to be a trip. :cutie: Here’s Jodi:

DisneyLaborDay2009059.jpg

Over the past few trips, we’ve waited as long as we could before telling the girls we were going. You’d think that the obsessive amount of time I spend on the Disboards planning would tip them off, but happily we managed to keep it a secret again. Since Danielle is now in 8th grade (and since I’m a terrible mom who pulled my girls out of school for a Disney trip AGAIN), I had to tell Danielle about the trip a little over a week in advance so she could have her teachers sign the form that is required by her school so she would get to make up the work. We told her on a Sunday evening, 10 days out from the trip. Her face turned bright red with shock (or, it could have been a little too much sun from a beautiful weekend, but I choose to think it was shock). She was definitely surprised. It was about as much fun as I’ve had in a long time.

summer-1068.jpg

(Yes, that’s me in my pajamas – she didn’t get back from a friend’s lake house till late that evening – nothing like putting yourself out there on the web in your jammies! :rolleyes: )

summer-1069.jpg

summer-1067.jpg

Jodi, on the other hand, is only in 6th grade and therefore in her last year of elementary school. I knew that I would be able to handle her absence with her teachers directly, so we didn’t tell her until the morning that we left! By the night before the trip, it became apparent that Jodi had no idea what was coming. I was sure she had figured out that there would be a trip to WDW at some time, but she clearly had no idea as to when it would happen. So, on Tuesday night, Jodi went to dance class just like always, bickered with her sister, took a shower, bickered with her sister some more, and then went to bed. Not too much later, Danielle, Ray and I all followed suit, trying to get some sleep before our big day the next day.

Wednesday morning came bright and early. Ray, Danielle and I all got together for the big reveal. Danielle and I wore Mickey t-shirts and had Jody’s Tink shirt ready for her. When she finally woke up and figured out that we were seriously going to WDW instead of school, it was great.

Jodi wondering why the whole family has invaded her room before her alarm even went off:

DisneyLaborDay2009008.jpg

And then the fun began when she figured it out:

DisneyLaborDay2009014.jpg

DisneyLaborDay2009015.jpg

DisneyLaborDay2009016.jpg

We were at WDW from Wednesday, September 2 through Monday, September 7 (Labor Day). We hit all four main parks, plus Typhoon Lagoon and DTD. Happily, we were there for Free Dining, and even upgraded to Deluxe, so we got to go to some restaurants and shows we had always wanted to go to but never had before. More on all those later.

Anyway, thanks for joining in! More to come soon!

(PS – And for the record, this report DOES involve me swimming in Bay Lake! :scared1: And, I lived to tell the tale!)

Leslie

Good intro, and I can't believe your oldest dd didn't tell your youngest. Good keeper of secrets.

My guess is if you were in Bay lake,
You fell off a Sea Racer.
Waiting to find out what happened.

My DH became a Disney lover too after we started to go to Fort Wilderness. It was definitely the golf cart and fishing. Oddly enough, It is relaxing for us to be at the fort.

Good trippie so far...

Hello Leslie-

I followed you over here from your link on the camping boards!

You are off to a great start!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!popcorn::

TCD

Great start and GREAT pictures! I can't wait to read the rest. Your daughters are both beautiful and their reactions are priceless. Over the countless trips we have taken and surprised DD, I've never taken her picture. Your TR inspires me to get a picture the next time!!

Can't wait to read more and see more pictures.

Hello Leslie-

TCD

I also followed you here. Glad you fell in love with Fort Wilderness like we did. I also like your candid camera type photos of you giving your DDs the good news. :laughing:

I love all the pics of y'all in jammies! I feel like part of the family!
sc_biggrin.gif

ShantaClausSm.png

YAAAY!!! I just LOVE reading your TR's!! I can't wait, I"m there in 5 days!!! :cheer2: But, I can live thru your tr until then! :)

What a great TR. I love it. I will be there in 23 days. :cool1: I can't wait. Till then I will live on these boards and read all about everyone else's adventures. popcorn::

I love that you surprised your girls! I'm surprising our girls in November when we go for our second trip to the World. I can't wait to hear all about it!

What a fun start! And, I can't believe you were able to keep it a secret until the morning of for your younger daughter. That's so cool! Can't wait to hear about FW -- I've enjoyed visiting in the past, but can't wait to see pics and hear about the cabins.popcorn::

I followed you over here from the FW Cabins too. We're considering the cabins for our next trip. The five of us at POR didn't work out too well:confused3. Love that you surprised your girls - I'm so bad at keeping my excitement in check that I don't know if I could pull it off but I would so like to try! Can't wait to read more!

Great start I love the picture! Can't wait to read morepopcorn::

I wanna sign on too! We surprised our son with a trip to Disney last year and while it was really hard to do, the reveal was great! We didn't tell him until we were about 30 miles away. Don't know how we were able to get over 750 miles under our belt without him catching on.

You are a super cute family and I can't wait to hear all about your Disney adventures!

Lisa

Good intro, and I can't believe your oldest dd didn't tell your youngest. Good keeper of secrets.

My guess is if you were in Bay lake,
You fell off a Sea Racer.
Waiting to find out what happened.

Thanks! You'll have to keep waiting to find out about the swimming in the lake!

Your family is adorable, I love the photos... I"m inpopcorn::

Thanks! I think we're cute too! :rotfl:

My DH became a Disney lover too after we started to go to Fort Wilderness. It was definitely the golf cart and fishing. Oddly enough, It is relaxing for us to be at the fort.

Good trippie so far...

It really is so relaxing to be there. I'm the biggest Fort fan, and have been ever since our first trip there. It so fun to me that DH will enjoy being at WDW for much longer if we're at FW than anywhere else!

Hello Leslie-

TCD

Thanks! I know that you know how I wound up swimming in Bay lake!:ssst:

Great start and GREAT pictures! I can't wait to read the rest. Your daughters are both beautiful and their reactions are priceless. Over the countless trips we have taken and surprised DD, I've never taken her picture. Your TR inspires me to get a picture the next time!!

Can't wait to read more and see more pictures.

Take the pictures next time! As much fun as it was telling them, it's almost as much fun looking back on the pictures. I've never pulled off the secret for as long as I did this time. It was so much fun!

I also followed you here. Glad you fell in love with Fort Wilderness like we did. I also like your candid camera type photos of you giving your DDs the good news. :laughing:

Thanks! It was so much fun, but happily the trip was even more fun than telling the girls about it! Thanks for reading!

Leslie

I love all the pics of y'all in jammies! I feel like part of the family!
sc_biggrin.gif

ShantaClausSm.png

Of course you're a part of the family! Just don't look at the messes in the rooms when we told the girls about the trip! :rotfl2:

YAAAY!!! I just LOVE reading your TR's!! I can't wait, I"m there in 5 days!!! :cheer2: But, I can live thru your tr until then! :)

Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous! Are you staying at FW? Regardless, you'll have a great time! No crowds this time of year!

What a great TR. I love it. I will be there in 23 days. :cool1: I can't wait. Till then I will live on these boards and read all about everyone else's adventures. popcorn::

I'm jealous of you too! Have a great time!

I love that you surprised your girls! I'm surprising our girls in November when we go for our second trip to the World. I can't wait to hear all about it!

How old are your girls? They'll have so much fun being surprised!

What a fun start! And, I can't believe you were able to keep it a secret until the morning of for your younger daughter. That's so cool! Can't wait to hear about FW -- I've enjoyed visiting in the past, but can't wait to see pics and hear about the cabins.popcorn::

As you'll see, I'm a big fan of FW. You should stay there sometime! Even if you don't need to be able to sleep 6 people, the cabins are so great with giving you the extra room, plus the Fort is such a neat place to be!

I followed you over here from the FW Cabins too. We're considering the cabins for our next trip. The five of us at POR didn't work out too well:confused3. Love that you surprised your girls - I'm so bad at keeping my excitement in check that I don't know if I could pull it off but I would so like to try! Can't wait to read more!

Go for the cabins next time. They'll be perfect for a family your size.

Great start I love the picture! Can't wait to read morepopcorn::

Thanks, and thanks for reading!

I wanna sign on too! We surprised our son with a trip to Disney last year and while it was really hard to do, the reveal was great! We didn't tell him until we were about 30 miles away. Don't know how we were able to get over 750 miles under our belt without him catching on.

You are a super cute family and I can't wait to hear all about your Disney adventures!

Lisa

Wow - 30 miles away is amazing! You must have had a great time getting there without him knowing!

Leslie

Hey everyone - Before I get into the real good parts of this TR (the trip itself), I’ve got to let y’all see what Jodi wrote about finding out about the trip (she wanted to help me with the TR on our way home):

Ok, well it is a normal Wednesday …. or at least I thought it was… so I wake up at 5:30 and my mom and my sister are taking pictures of me. I had no idea what was going on. Finally I thought that Danielle was pulling a prank on me while testing her new camera. But why would my mom be in on it? Then I saw my dad video taping me. Finally I said

“What is going on?”

“Look at our t-shirts!” they said.

They had Mickey Mouse on them. I couldn’t bring myself to think that we were going to Disney World. It just wasn’t possible. I thought for a long second and finally I realized that the only possible thing that we could be doing, is that we were going to Disney World. Finally I said, “We’re going to Disney World?” with a little bit of excitement because I didn’t know if we were going or not. I looked at my mom and she had the biggest smile on her face and finally yelled “YES” and I screamed. I couldn’t believe it. My mom had already packed me up so just in 10 minutes we were already on our way to Disney World.

I just thought that was too cute not to share. It took her a whole day to get used to the idea that she was on vacation when she had no idea it was about to happen. Good times. :goodvibes

Leslie

Up next: Our day at the MK, and dinner at the GF!

What a nice family !!!

Swimming in Bay Lake ?

We NEED to hear more about this...

:cool1:

Thanks! You'll hear about it (probably more than you care to!). BTW, I see you're a month off from a trip. LUCKY!

Leslie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter