Buses, wheelchairs and scooters...

Charleyann

<font color=purple>Someone spilled the beans<br><f
We have been to Disney many times. Last December was our last visit. I heard there were changes to buses and there is no longer a wheelchair line ? Does this making getting on a bus a long wait ?

Many thanks

Charleyannn:santa:

We have been to Disney many times. Last December was our last visit. I heard there were changes to buses and there is no longer a wheelchair line ? Does this making getting on a bus a long wait ?

Many thanks

Charleyannn:santa:

Are you talking dec 2011 if do their has been no new changes the new policy was in effect then. It just not published as much as it should be by Disney if they want guest to follow it. So if your talking about them just do and execpt what you did then. The only real difference is they got slot more of their new low floor buses.

Yes, December 2011 and I didn't notice anything different from previous visits. Thanks for responding back so quickly...:hippie:

Charleyann:santa:

Yes, December 2011 and I didn't notice anything different from previous visits. Thanks for responding back so quickly...:hippie:

Charleyann:santa:

Your welcome well Disney wants everyone to go through the main que if Ou ask almost any Disney driver they will tell you to go the old way they don't like the new policy either.

I think bus loading depends on part on what the layout is at the bus area (for resorts) and also how busy it is (at the parks).

We have noticed distinct differences between loading procedures at the Contemporary versus Pop for example.

That being said, my advice would be to go with the flow and leave PLENTY of time if you have a dining reservation. But we didn't have any huge problems on our last trip.

Mary

My last visit was in March... Pop still loaded you from the side line and the parks wanted you to go through the regular line. Yes, the wait was longer.

We went through the regular line since I was able to walk short distances and do the steps up to the bus. My daughter would fold the wheelchair and carry it on like a stroller. But most drivers directed us to the rear door anyhow! At the MK we left after the fireworks when the crowds were pretty massive. We were in the regular line and the CM organizing the bus area pulled us out and put us, along with another wheelchair, in an area near where the rear door of the bus would be. We told him that I could walk but he insisted - said the old way worked better!

We were a party of three. The other lady in a wheelchair had four or five people with her. The waits were long and I could feel people giving us the nasty looks! What they didn't realize was we had already gotten close to the front of the line and passed on one bus because there were no seats. So I probably waited longer than if I had been out of the wheelchair.

IMO, putting people in ECV's through the regular bus line is majorly boneheaded. Even if you're an expert, navigating those tight turns is tricky. And people let their kids run around, climb on the railings, and sit or lie down on the pavement; it just isn't safe for anybody.

All I know is that if I'm told to go through the regular queue line, I will likely refuse if I am by myself and I have no problem asking for a bus manager. I have a service dog and life-support equipment that can get tangled up in the metal chains and I'm not going to take a chance with it. I don't mind waiting my turn at all, but leaving the park after a nice day and then having to face the possibility of my dog getting trampled and myself caught up in a tangled mess is not my idea of "equal access".

I got badly hurt trying to go through the reg. bus line at MK in Jan and after that refused to do it. I was told it was fine to go the old way. Those lines are too tight for an ECV to make the turns.

IMO, putting people in ECV's through the regular bus line is majorly boneheaded. Even if you're an expert, navigating those tight turns is tricky. And people let their kids run around, climb on the railings, and sit or lie down on the pavement; it just isn't safe for anybody.

Just got back and thankfully my hotel still had the handicapped gates outside the line. I did a lot of time on the bus and other modes of Disney transportation as we were doing Deluxe Dinning. The bus queue from MK to BW had a line that had the gate inside the main line. I am using my scooter. My family was the first at the bus stop and I went through the line and stopped in front of the metal gate marked with the handicapped emblem. That was a problem because I blocked the line for all the walkers that came after me. I let them pass to the front. I see the bus arriving and wave to the bus driver several times. I can't see him because the sun is in my eyes. He proceeds to load all the walkers first, not that unusual, but then shuts all the doors. My husband runs up to the doors and knocks telling the driver that he forgot me. He is so sorry that he didn't "see" me. He loads my scooter, making people already seated move, then moves more so I can sit. We were very popular! After that experience, I just pulled up front and bypassed the gate!

I'd agree with the service dog issue. It turns into a safety issue if you can't get the dog in and settled in a safe spot before everyone on stampedes on.

Just got back and thankfully my hotel still had the handicapped gates outside the line. I did a lot of time on the bus and other modes of Disney transportation as we were doing Deluxe Dinning. The bus queue from MK to BW had a line that had the gate inside the main line. I am using my scooter. My family was the first at the bus stop and I went through the line and stopped in front of the metal gate marked with the handicapped emblem. That was a problem because I blocked the line for all the walkers that came after me. I let them pass to the front. I see the bus arriving and wave to the bus driver several times. I can't see him because the sun is in my eyes. He proceeds to load all the walkers first, not that unusual, but then shuts all the doors. My husband runs up to the doors and knocks telling the driver that he forgot me. He is so sorry that he didn't "see" me. He loads my scooter, making people already seated move, then moves more so I can sit. We were very popular! After that experience, I just pulled up front and bypassed the gate!

How do you even access the old loading area at the parks now? I was going to try to do that one day ( I was traveling alone and was getting ill..trying to rush back to my room). I could not find an access point in the line to avoid the main cue. The only way I could find would have put traveling out into the parking lot road way.

How do you even access the old loading area at the parks now? I was going to try to do that one day ( I was traveling alone and was getting ill..trying to rush back to my room). I could not find an access point in the line to avoid the main cue. The only way I could find would have put traveling out into the parking lot road way.

If I understand your question, I totally avoided any line that made you go though or wait in the regular walking queue by simply driving around and pulling up on the sidewalk where the bus ramp would be located when the bus pulled up. If there was a handicapped entrance that was NOT located in the walking queue, I waited there. Some hotels still use those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter