Bumping to Adult DDP

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Plan' started by ejrj, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ejrj

ejrj DIS Veteran

Can any age child be bumped to adult on the dining plan for a fee? We are traveling with a 4 year old and twin 2 year olds. We're a little concerned about the not so great child menu options. Thinking that if we bump her up to adult we'd have lots of choice and then lots of food for the two two year olds. Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DisneyLoverUSA

DisneyLoverUSA DIS Veteran

As long as you know you will have to pay for an adult ticket for the 4 yr old I am sure Disney will be glad to take your money and bump the child up to the adult DDP instead of the children's DDP. I am not sure how they feel about bumping children if you are getting the dining plan for free but if you are paying for it I am sure you can.

4. ejrj

ejrj DIS Veteran

well good point because we are planning a trip for next fall when i'm hoping free dining will be in effect. So I guess in my head (and this was a random brainstorm thought) I was thinking that maybe there was a fee similar to a paying to bumping to the deluxe plan.

5. vossjemi

vossjemi I LUV 2 Travel!!!

We have free dining plan and just paid to bump my 9DS to adult for dining options. It only cost $23.43 total. Its based on the ticket package you buy..changing child to adult. Our TA did it for us and now the res lists his age as 10. But he never would have been satisfied with mac n cheese and chicken nuggets while us adults got ribs and real chicken or seafood. My DD4 will stay on the child plan however as each child is different and she wouldn't eat anything more than what is offered on the children's menu. If she wants to sample off our plates, however, we will gladly let her. :goodvibes

6. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

The "fee" you pay is to buy an adult park ticket for the child, and, if you're not on free dining or you are upgrading free dining, the difference between the child and adult dining plans. In addition, they may not say they are doing it, but they will list the child on your reservation as 10 years old. The computer won't assign anyone under 10 an adult dining plan.

I haven't seen that it's a problem, and there's no written or other official rule at WDW so far regarding doing this.

7. ejrj

ejrj DIS Veteran

Thank you!! So I need to figure out the cost of a 4 yr old 7 day myw + park hopper vs. an adult 7 day myw + hopper (which would then give her free adult dining presuming it gets offered) to know my cost. It's not that she is a big eater but it would be nice not to have to worry about oop for the twins. I know the adult portions would feed the three of them (and give a wide variety of options). I know that some people will probably think I'm nuts to think about upgrading rather than just doing oop for the two two year olds but I really like the convenience and just want to be able to weigh that against cost. Thanks!

8. ejrj

ejrj DIS Veteran

mmmm so my logic doesn't really work if I'm staying on site does it? Since uping her to an adult for park ticket/dining also bumps my room to a triple occupancy vs. double.

9. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

Your 4 year old will be 10 for the purposes of this trip. So yes, you need to calculate the difference in ticket prices, and the difference in dining plan costs if you end up not getting free dining.

As far as the Disney computer is concerned, that child is 10. But it doesn't change your overall room capacity - you still have two adults, one child and two children under 3, one of which will not count toward room capacity. So you can stay in a room with a maximum capacity of four.

Children are 9 and under for the purposes of dining and tickets, but for resort reservations anyone under 18 is a child so you won't be paying an extra adult charge for any of the kids.

10. ejrj

ejrj DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. This seems like a fantastic option for us. And I've seen others say that (during free dining) they've paid between $24-33 depending on the length of their stay, which I think is great value for that much more food/option. I really appreciate all of your information!

11. JustLikeHeaven

JustLikeHeaven Mouseketeer

I just bumped DS8 up to Adult Counter Service (10 yrs old) today. I had to pay $23 per day (in this case one week), plus luckily we only bought one MYW day from Disney, so I had to bump him up as an Adult for his Park Ticket too. The total was just over $169 for the week.

Also, I am NOT on Free Dining. We got 35% off our resort.:)

12. Steph01002

Steph01002 Earning My Ears

We upgraded our 6 and 7 year old to the adult dining plan when we went last month on free dining. It was $25 extra per child for the week to buy an adult ticket and get the free adult dining plan with it. They were put on our reservation as 10. Totally worth it to have the adult options for their meals. We were at a moderate resort with the free regular dining plan.

13. ejrj

ejrj DIS Veteran

Wooo Hooo! $23 is awesome. We are going for 6 ni/7day park hopper at a moderate next fall **hopefully** during free dining. Anything in the $25 range would be amazing!!