Budget Xmas gift ideas

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Fire14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Fire14

Fire14 Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I'm looking for ideas on what to get nieces and nephews for Xmas this year. The oldest 3 have ipod touches, youngest tyke has a kindle or some tablet type thing.
    I'm leaning towards I tunes gc's and small something else for oldest 3. Younger 2 I'm clueless and 1 set of parents are no help, the other will give me ideas but it's hard not to feel like he's getting raw end of deal. trying to stay around $ 30/child.

Oldest 3 are:
    Boy: 17
    Gilrl: 14
    Girl:13

Younger 2:
    Boy: 7 or 8, parents are no help for ideas
    Boy 4: Step sib to oldest 2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BubMunkeyBles

BubMunkeyBles DIS Veteran

I do Target gift cards for our younger nieces and nephews. They enjoy picking out their own toys and things.

4. Pesky

Pesky "Who's the monkey?!"

For the youngest, switch n' go dinosaur -- covers dinosaurs and cars! Cheapie remote control car -- disney.com has RC Mater or Finn McMissile on sale for $15. Legos.

For the 7-8 YO, legos -- ninjagos or Star Wars are popular sets. My nephew is 6 YO and has been into ninjagos for over 2 years now. The airhunterz bow and arrow set (but that is $25). Hexbug -- there are different kinds. I'm getting a 9YO niece the crab one and that is running about $13-15.

For the older ones, I'd just think about a $30 GC instead. They'd probably love it!

5. MomToOne

MomToOne DIS Veteran

I have 6 kids ranging in age from 5 to 17 that I have to buy for each year that are not directly relatives, and I don't know them well at all so I face this challenge ever year. It's a long story........

Anywho, this year I am giving them all those double wall tumblers with their initials on them - I picked them up at Kohls last month when they were on clearance for around $5/each. I am putting a $5 gift card in each one, to either Starbucks, Smoothie King or McDonald's based on their age and what I suspect they'd like most. You could do something similar (I find these types of tumblers are going on sale for cheaper and cheaper everywhere), but change out the $5 gift card for a $20 or $25 one, or even just a $20 bill.

In the past, I've given the older boys baseball caps or aluminum waterbottles for the local university or pro football teams. The younger girls are easy since anything pink and princess-y usually works. The younger boys I go for things like remote control anything (what boy - even adult - doesn't like them?) or board games or outdoor toys.

6. figaro2tigger

figaro2tigger Earning My Ears

At Target, look for the Target GC attached to the Lego little plastic case with pieces inside. Last year, the GC Lego set made one of 3 (your choice) a snowman, bear, or Target dog. It usually shows up after Black Friday in limited quantities by the cards AND hanging on the side of the toy aisle.
    I load the GC with $5 and give it to my Nephews to build during the family Christmas party. You can put any value on the card.
    Here is a link to an EBay auction of last year's GC (I don't sell, but it's a good picture).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTIBLE...4?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item3f1c8a3836

Don't pay full price for I Tunes GC's. There are often sales of buy 3 ea $20 I Tunes GC's for $50.

edit: There is a Target Hexbug GC for sale on EBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEXAPILLAR-...6?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item1c2b05e646
    I believe that I saw this card in store last week, but didn't look closely because only the Lego GC's would be something that I could use.
    HTH

7. scoobndolliesmom

scoobndolliesmom Mouseketeer

We buy gifts for many. One gift that seems to go over well is t-shirts from aeropostle or Hollister. I was able to get them for $5. I stocked up right before school started but I know they have ran the sale since.:tink: Happy Shopping!

8. lukenick1

lukenick1 DIS Veteran

Where do you find those?

9. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

I got a $25 Itunes card for $12.50 when I signed up for savelogy.com They run promos like that for new accounts.

The closer you get to the holidays you will see more deals on the cards.

10. iluveeyore

iluveeyore DIS Veteran

I plan to buy my nephews a Hallmark ornament as there are so many to choose from and these are awesome keepsakes for when they are older - the collection this year has all their favourites - Iron Man, Darth Vader, even a John Deere tractor for my oldest nephew!

11. Fire14

Fire14 Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

this is neat idea but let's just say kid's parents are not type to keep this kind of stuff for yrs.

12. richmond282

richmond282 Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better

I have seen them at Best Buy and maybe Target around Black Friday.