Budget Saver-Made Candy Apples today

Dizneydaz

DIS Veteran
We went to our local county fair last Friday and DD10 really wanted to get a candy apple. Problem was we forgot to get one before we left so I've been promising her we would make them. Finally bought some apples Wednesday (Granny Smiths) and we made them today.

DD10 wanted to make blue ones instead of the traditional red so what the heck.. I said sure!

Found a very simple recipe, adapted it for 5 apples instead of 8.

From allfreecrafts.com

Old-Fashioned Red Candy Apples
8 medium sized apples (5)
8 wooden sticks (5)
3 cups white sugar (2)
1/2 cup light corn syrup (1/3)
1 cup water (2/3)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) (I actually used a little more than 1/4 tsp.)
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring (optional) ( I used blue and green-I used the little squeeze bottles you get form the grocery store. Didn't want to hastle with getting out my cake decorating colors.)

The amounts in parenthesis are the amounts I used for 5 apples.

Wash and dry the apples. Remove any stems or leaves and insert a wooden stick into the end of each apple. Set apples aside.

Heat and stir sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan until sugar has dissolved. Boil until the syrup reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer, or until a little syrup dropped into cold water separates into breakable threads.

Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and food coloring, if using. (oops! I added the cinnamon at the start-probably would have been more cinnamon-y if I added at later. I'll do this next time. I also added the color but that's because I wanted to see it quicker;))

Dip one apple completely in the syrup and swirl it around a little with the stick to coat. Hold the apple above the saucepan to drain off excess. Place apple, with the stick facing up, on a well greased pan.

Repeat with remaining apples. If syrup thickens or cools too much, simply reheat briefly before proceeding. Let cool completely before serving.

Here's our results:
106_1911.jpg

106_1913.jpg

Almost ready!
106_1917.jpg

Dipping
106_1919.jpg

Proud of their results
106_1922.jpg

Finished Product. (see the mickey?)

I think they look great (my DM says they look like poisoned apples):rotfl2:. We'll eat them after dinner.

Pretty good budget saver too-much cheaper than buying some at the fair and not nearly as fun! I know summer isn't really candy apple weather but I blame it all on the fair!

Also recently made our own snowcone syrup. Really easy to do and very inexpensive. Plus it tastes delish.

So how did they taste?:goodvibes I think they look fun to do, but I get scared of boiling sugar.

The girls said they were delicious! I tasted some of the leftover candy (poured it out on greased cookie sheet) and it is tasty.:goodvibes It's basically the same recipe you make lollipops or hard candy out of.

Hot sugar can be dangerous.:scared1: We were just very careful when handling it-notice in the picture I'm holding the pot while the girls dipped and swirled the apples.

I've made caramel apples many times before but this was only the second time I've done candy ones. They are so much easier and the candy sticks really well.;) I always have a problem with the caramel sliding off my caramel apples.:confused3

Would the caramel stick better if you dusted the apples in confectioners sugar first?

The girls said they were delicious! I tasted some of the leftover candy (poured it out on greased cookie sheet) and it is tasty.:goodvibes It's basically the same recipe you make lollipops or hard candy out of.

Hot sugar can be dangerous.:scared1: We were just very careful when handling it-notice in the picture I'm holding the pot while the girls dipped and swirled the apples.

I've made caramel apples many times before but this was only the second time I've done candy ones. They are so much easier and the candy sticks really well.;) I always have a problem with the caramel sliding off my caramel apples.:confused3

I always have that problem too. I was going to try veggie wash to see if that helped the caramel stick...might try the powdered sugar too! :thumbsup2

Aaaaahhhhh! :idea:Of course, your apples might have been waxed! I usually scrub all my apples in hot water before putting them out in the fruit bowl for the boys to eat.

Aaaaahhhhh! :idea:Of course, your apples might have been waxed! I usually scrub all my apples in hot water before putting them out in the fruit bowl for the boys to eat.

Yep, most apples here (in the stores) are waxed so I do scrub them and then dry them before dipping (did this for the candy ones as well.) I think the problem is with the consistency of the caramel. I use Brach's caramels (the wrapped ones) and add the rec. amount of water but the caramel always seems to slide down the apple 'til it puddles at the bottom. Caramel still tastes good but there's usually very little left on the apple. If you put the apples in the fridge then they are almost too hard to eat. Maybe next time I'll make homemade caramel. Haven't made it for years but it is really good!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter