Budget places to stay in Newark or close by

brandiramirez

Earning My Ears
We are going in July to the Taylor Swift concert at the Prudential center in Newark. From what I have been reading Newark isn't exactly the nicest place. I really do want a hotel that will would be convinent to return to after the concert since it will be kind of late at night. Also just my husband, myself and my two girls are going, my 16 son does not want to go so I am a little concerned leaving him at the hotel. Even though I will tell him to stay there he will most likely wonder so how bad is the Newark area safety wise? Does anyone have any recommondations? We have never been to this area and it's about a 5 hour drive from where we live so we will be making a whole weekend of it. I was looking at the Hilton Penn Station the rate is reasonable but want to know if any other diser's that have better knowledge of the are would know something better. We also plan on visiting Central park and the Statue of Liberty so transportation help is more then welcome.

you mentioned needing transportation help, does it mean that you won't have a car?
I stayed in Newark about 20 years ago, hence my experience is not current...
if your 16 years old son may wonder out, I probably won't stay any where in Newark as I don't know which direction he will go...but if he doesn't wonder out at night, and you take cab after the concert, I think Hilton Penn Station will be fine for the places you want to go..

Otherwise, I will consider Jersey City, I think my brother stayed in Hyatt in Jersey City when he came, I suggest you go to biddingfortravel to look into the discussion on bidding, my niece mentioned her friend has to bid a certain level to be sure to get Hyatt or another hotel which is near the train/ferry.

if you do not get enough responses you may want to post to the tripadvisor's forum.
Have fun!!

The Prudential center is 2 blocks from the train station. Do yourself a favor and take the train to the concert and stay in a hotel outside of Newark. It's not a nice place and in my opinion you do not want your 16 year old son wandering around Newark by himself at night.

I am heading to Newark tomorrow for work. Occasionally I am sent there, and think it's a cesspool of epic proportions. Of all the places I get sent to, and I go all over the country, Newark is the one place I feel unsafe. If I had my way, I would stay at the Hilton Penn Station, but my employers won't pay that rate. So, I stay at the Hilton Newark Airport which is quite nice and comfy.

Newark is a scary place :lmao:
I feel safer in NYC than Newark, I just don't think the city is anywhere near as bad.

Thanks for the tip about Jersey City, like I say I was more or less clueless about staying there all I hear is is not safe. I will try that and not stay in Newark, yes we will have transportation but I am under the impression that public transportation will be easier. Am I wrong about this?

Driving there is very easy, though as others have said, not through some great areas. I 1000000% would not stay in downtown Newark

The Ironbound area where Prudential is, is OK but Newark as others have said is one of those cities where one block in the wrong direction is not good. Park at the Prudential Center lots and then drive to Jersey City, or Weehawken (my old hometown), where you can then take a ferry boat into NYC; it's great. Try Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken or one of the hotels in the Jersey City waterfront. Both of these areas have a whole complex with restaurants, shops, etc.

I am so so glad I asked fist here, something was just telling me to. :worship: We have decided on Jersey City area and just driving like suggested. Thank you everyone for the help.

If you have a car, I suggest you definitely shoud stay outside of Newark, you may also want to consider Parsippany.
On the other hand, going to Central Park, you may be better off to use public transportation as parking in NY is expensive ($40 ?? $45?? , then the tunnel is $8?? ) and street parking is difficult. But then you may also want to look into the number of people in your party, say if you have 5 people, the difference may not be as big (how much is the subway now?? and then you have to add path)

If you plan to take public transportation to NY, then jersey City is good, in particular waterfront area which is close to the path train.

If you do plan to drive to the city (given you will be driving on a weekend), then you may want to look into parsippany (only Short Hills and Parsippany come to mind, but people may have different suggestions)

I am also assuming you only plan to go to Central Park and Statute of Liberty as you mentioned a weekend...

BTW, you may want to look into booking the tickets for Statute of Liberty, I think the tickets that allow you to go up the crown go very quick.

if you stay in JC, you can also take the PATH train to Newark Penn. Easier than driving and super cheap--$1.75 per ride.

don't forget about the subway after the path and then calculate for cost for round trip

Went to college and law school in Newark then worked there many years after. Going there tonight for dinner in the Ironbound. That said I would never stay at a hotel in Newark. Esp. if I was a 16 year old.

You sid you are making a weekend of it...stay in NYC. Take the Path into Penn Station. Go to the concert and take the Path back.

Newark has a lot to offer, but blocks around the Pru center get pretty dicey pretty quick .. esp. late at night. and a 16 year old not from round here can very easily get into some trouble.

I would agree with the previous posters. Having lived in the ironbound section for several years and never had a problem. I do have to say that i would be very nervous leaving my 16yr old in a hotel room alone never mind in newark. I agree with the Jersey City suggestion though JC is not manhattan. Just dont want you to be disapointed when you get there. It is still a city and just like newark not somewhere i'd go sightseeing. But it is a great outlet to nyc.
Also when you take the path use caution like you would anywhere else. When you get off path you can walk to Pru from Penn Station, when there is an even there are police officers at every corner crossing people. So that is reassuring. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter