Budget gifts for Dirty Santa?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by crusoe2, Nov 13, 2009.

1. crusoe2

crusoe2 DIS Veteran

DH just informed me that his company is having their Christmas party in a couple of weeks and that we're supposed to bring gifts for a Dirty Santa exchange. The spending limit is $5-$10 per gift and we have to take 2 of them. These would need to be for male or female and I'm just drawing a blank. Any suggestions? TIA:santa:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. secretpantssam

secretpantssam DIS Veteran

We do this at my work every year. Last year I put in Elf on DVD, it was on sale at target for $10. Some people give gift cards for $10, books, chocolate covered pretzels, bottles of wine, and one year I got a winter hat. Those are a few ideas that went over pretty well at our swaps.

4. leahjade

leahjade DIS Veteran

Dirty santa - what is that? My mind is wandering....

5. secretpantssam

secretpantssam DIS Veteran

Haha! I was thinking the same thing when I read the subject but when I read the post I realized it's what we refer to as Yankee Swap. I've also heard it called Nasty Christmas and white elephant. It's a gift exchange game...This seems to be a good description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant_gift_exchange

6. crusoe2

crusoe2 DIS Veteran

LOL That was kind of my first thought too.:goodvibes I've only done it once and I think it was called something else. (Wait a minute - I think I'm making it worse.:rotfl:) Anyway, the one time I've played it we put all the gifts under the tree, everyone drew a number, and then the person who drew number 1 picked a gift and opened it. The person who drew number 2 then did the same and had the option of keeping their gift or swapping with person number 1. Person number 3 then follows and can keep his gift or take either of the first two. And so on. The higher the number you draw at the beginning of the party, the more gifts you have to choose from. And I think that usually you retire a gift after it's been taken the third time.

Secretpantssam, thanks for the suggestions. Those got me started and I've thought of a few on my own now.

7. dapoteete

dapoteete Mouseketeer

Big Mouth Billy Bass singing fish is a hoot. I found one at a yard sale for under $1.

Other ideas I have seen have been themes. Like a coconut bra and pina colada mix.

Christmas boxers are always a hit.

8. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

I carried a gift card to the last one I went to, and it was the only gift that was stolen several times. :thumbsup2

9. dfchelbay

dfchelbay DIS Veteran

My first thought was, does Human Resources know about this "dirty santa" christmas gift exchange...I thought it was an inappropriate for the workplace kind of thing...shows just where my mind will initially go!:rolleyes1

10. MinnieGi

MinnieGi DVC/BWV & HHI

OMG, my mind also went the "dirty" way for dirty Santa too!!! LOL!! It's what made me press on the link!! I was curious to see THOSE budget friendly gifts!! :lmao:

11. CathrynRose

CathrynRose <font color=brown>R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P

12. PurpleSurfer

PurpleSurfer Mouseketeer

I have noticed that kitchen supplies are traded for. The Pyrex covered dish with the carrier, crock pots and neutral kitchen towels.

What is not wanted in general are the car accessories (i.e. deer repellants, plug in ice scrappers and emergency flasher gizmos) and cheap bath accessories.

13. Aimros

Aimros Zip a dee doo dah!

Don't knit a homemade oven mitt... anyone else watch The Office?

14. 3boymthr

3boymthr DIS Veteran

A statuette that says "Co-worker of the year" or #1 :laughing: A t-shirt with those phrases would also work.

Really tho, a T-shirt or other accessory for the most popular sports team in the area might be good (i.e, Miami Dolphins or Philadelphia Eagles, or NY Yankees, etc.)

15. nikkistevej

nikkistevej DIS Veteran

I did frames last year- and it was stolen several times. I got a few at Kohl's(when there frames are 1/2 off) that said family(so it's pretty general) and everybody seemed to like them. I figured if someone didn't like them, they could re-gift.

16. EthansMom

EthansMom <font color=red>spare yourself from asking me to d

17. MichelleinMaine

MichelleinMaine DIS Veteran

Alcohol of any kind is most-oft swapped at our Yankee Swap. (Works especially well for those of us who don't drink to grab the other things ;))

Usually at least one person does a dud gift (large can of bake beans, case of Spaghetti O's, though that one actually delighted the hostess who had 3 small children who loved them.)

18. dapoteete

dapoteete Mouseketeer

Usually the White Elephant type of exchange is something off the wall. We do a GOOD gift exchange also and there I usually bring booze. Tequila Rose has a great gift set for $20.

19. wishspirit

wishspirit <font color=teal>When you wish upon a star!<br><fo

We call it Secret Santa here!!

I think it would all go a bit wrong if we started calling it 'dirty santa'!!! :lmao:

20. hearts8701

hearts8701 DIS Veteran

i buy coffee .. mcdonalds...walgreens gift cards or lottery tickets place them in a small stocking i got from the dollar store everyone wanted them

21. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

Same here!