Budget-friendly green cleaners

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Elleshoodat, Sep 23, 2012.

1. dgthree

dgthree DIS Veteran

Do you have hard water? I do, and I find that my stuff stays stiff when I line dry it. So I do use the Calgon softener liquid in my wash loads.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lukenick1

lukenick1 DIS Veteran

4. pilesoflaundry

pilesoflaundry <font color=green>it doesn't get scratched as ofte

The best one I know is the dawn/vinegar mix going around pinterest. And I only clean the oven with baking soda, it works better than anything else if you are willing to give it some time to work. I let it sit at least 2 hours and then it works great. Vinegar is a great drain cleaner and it's a good glass cleaner too.

I don't like most commercial "green" cleaners. Clorox green works is ok but I don't like it as good as dawn or lysol. I won't give up all commercial cleaners, just sub for the ones I feel work better with less chemicals (for example I hate the smell of easy off, it's awful!).

I won't use homemade laundry detergent because I've found some blog entries that it later dulls the whites or messes up the machine if it's HE. I just can't be bothered to make my own. YMMV depending on washer or water type.

5. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

Slightly :offtopic:

We bought a new stove, and when I was canning some stuff got really baked on the top. I tried everything I could think of to get it off- Mr. clean, barkeepers friend, even a copper scrubbie. I was afraid I'd scratch the top of my new stove, but I didn't want this baked on gunk on it either. I read about sprinkling baking soda on and pouring on vinegar, so I tried it. It bubbled up and started working. I let it sit for an hour, then went back and wiped it up. It did a perfect job.