Budget for car rental?

mrsap

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! Was just wondering if you can share your experience with renting from Budget. Any problems? Quality cars? Etc... Thank you!!!!

I usually use Alamo, but last time the rate from Budget was much better, so I used them. I would encourage you to join their Fastbreak program. That way you can go straight to the garage at MCO instead of the counter in the terminal. No problems with the car...I think I rented a compact and had a Ford Focus, which was fine for my purposes.

I usually use Alamo, but last time the rate from Budget was much better, so I used them. I would encourage you to join their Fastbreak program. That way you can go straight to the garage at MCO instead of the counter in the terminal. No problems with the car...I think I rented a compact and had a Ford Focus, which was fine for my purposes.

Thank you for responding! We are renting from our hometown and driving down. We will not be at the airport. Are there any benefits to joining any of their other member programs if I am not renting from the airport? thank you!

Not that I'm aware of. Just the usual stuff for any rental...plug in codes and coupons to see what the best rate would be and do that often. When renting at MCO, the best rate is usually only a week or two before picking up the rental, but that could vary at the local sites. Also, it is generally best not to prepay a rental as rates often come down as the trip approaches. Codes and coupons are available from warehouse stores like Costco and BJ's, maybe even Walmart. AAA is another source, various airlines (you don't need to be flying on the airline and usually you don't need to be a member of their frequent flyer program). Look on mousesavers also.

Thank you for responding! We are renting from our hometown and driving down. We will not be at the airport. Are there any benefits to joining any of their other member programs if I am not renting from the airport? thank you!

The big advantage to being a member is to bypass the counter at the busy airport locations so you can get your car and start your vacation sooner.
Other benefits are the membership points that can be used towards future rentals or most companies allow you to link your favorite frequent flyer card to collect airline miles (in lieu of car rental points). Sometimes there are member exclusive discounts or offers that will be emailed out to you also.

Thank you both very much, I appreciate your help!!!

We have never rented from them so we are a little nervous. Does anyone else have good/bad experiences they could share? Thanks!!!

It also wouldn't hurt to check your rental agreement and make sure its ok to take the car out of state. Since Budget is a national company, I think you'll be ok.

Also, many of the local Budget agencies are co-branded with Avis (they're really the same company...our local office is Avis, but you can rent from either Budget or Avis there). Anyway, the Budget and Avis rates aren't always the same. Usually Budget is a little lower, but it wouldn't hurt to see if you local office is also Avis and if so, see what the Avis rates are. Sometimes Avis might run a special or have a code/coupon that would make it lower.

We have rented from Budget several times at different locations. No problems with the cars or service in general, they do try hard to convince you to buy insurance at the counter. The only problem I had was very slow service at the counter at MCO, but you aren't renting there, so not relevant to you!

I had two back to back BAD experiences with Budget at MCO; in Jan 2015 and Feb 2015. They try to up the charge when you pick up! In Jan, I went to the counter 19 minutes earlier than my reserved time and once they totaled up the estimated charges, it was $58 dollars higher than my online reservation. I asked for a manager and she did honor the price on my reservation after I expressed my frustration and assured her that the vehicle would be returned before the time of my official pickup. In Feb, same thing; the guy at the counter even said, "let me look at the time, Maybe that's why the price is higher!" Nope...I arrived 3 minutes after the reserved time! He was insistent on insurance which I declined at least 5x. He would not honor the price on my confirmation. I packed up my papers and walked 500 yards to the Alamo counter. I had a backup ressie at Alamo for $12 more and got a minivan on the full size aisle. I find it too coincidental that they tried the same tactic twice in 40 days! I will not reserve through them ever again! I don't want to start my vacation playing these types of games!

We've never had a problem with them and have rented from them locally, at MCO & at LAS. We joined their Fast Break program so we never have to wait in line.
Even if you don't join they don't charge extra for spouses to drive. Some companies do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter