1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

budget buster: muffins- need healthy recipes

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by mominwestlake, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mominwestlake

mominwestlake DIS Veteran

My children love muffins. The ones at the grocery store are pretty expensive. Does anyone have any muffins recipes that are also pretty healthy and taste good? I make pumpkin muffins that the kids like but it calls for 2 cups of sugar.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. paintnolish

paintnolish <font color=darkorchid>You'd think a sniff in the

4. cacgac

cacgac Mouseketeer

Because I buy banans each week there are always a few that get brown and I use them to make muffins. I use this low fat banana bread recipe and no one knows the difference. Here goes:

LOW FAT BANANA MUFFINS
    Makes 12 servings

Ingredients
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup bananas, mashed (about 3)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
    Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together banana, sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in the applesauce and vanilla. Stir banana mixture into flour until just combined. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
    Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool before serving. For best flavor, place in an airtight container or bag overnight.

5. MEM

MEM DIS Veteran

I modified this recipe from one on the Hillbilly Housewife site:

1 cup oatmeal - old-fashioned, not quick oats
    1 cup skim milk, "soured" with 1t lemon juice or white vinegar
    2T EVOO
    1 whole egg or 2 egg whites
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup brown or white sugar
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2t kosher salt
    1/2t baking soda
    1t baking powder
    1/4 cup chocolate chips, Craisins or raisins

Combine and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes

I combine everything in a bowl the night before and keep in the fridge until morning. I bake the muffins while I'm getting ready for work so they are hot and ready to eat when the kids get up.

The modifications I made suit DH dietary restrictions. For the original recipe, visit the Hillbilly Housewife's website.

6. MEM

MEM DIS Veteran

Here's an easy pumpkin muffin, which while high in sugar, is also low in fat and high in vitamin A:

One 16 ounce can Pumpkin
    One box chocolate cake mix or spice cake mix

Combine the two ingredients and bake per the instructions on the box. Some people feel better adding a little water or an egg white but it is not necessary.

7. healthylife

healthylife Earning My Ears

My healthy banana oatmeal muffins are a hit with my kids and with just 1/2 to 2/3 cup of sugar and oats, whole wheat flour and bananas they're healthy too.

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1 cup rolled oats processed into fine crumbs
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/2 t salt
    2 eggs
    3 bananas mashed
    1/4 olive or other healthy oil

Combine dry ingredients add eggs, bananas, and oil. Mix until just combined. Put into 12 greased muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.

8. shalom

shalom DIS Veteran

My kids like these. It's basically the Joy of Cooking Recipe, but I use either whole wheat pastry flour or half and half whole wheat and unbleached. Really, I have made dozens of a regular muffin or quick bread recipe substituting the same amount of whole wheat pastry flour for unbleached and it's always worked fine. :) The same cannot be said of substituting whole wheat pastry flour straight across for cookies. :upsidedow

It says milk or cream and gives two measurements for oil -- if you're going to eat them right away, go ahead and use skim milk and the smaller measurement for oil. If they're for later, and especially if you're going to freeze some, kick up the fats and they'll taste better once they're thoroughly cooled.

I used to make four or five dozen of these every week, and they were always gone by noon the next day. My kids like the poppy seed ones the best, hubby likes blueberry, I like the peach for a change.

Basic Muffins with Milk or Cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper cups.

Whisk together thoroughly in large bowl:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    or 1 cup unbleached and 1 cup whole wheat
    1 Tbs baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional, I use for blueberry or peach)
    2/3 cup sugar

Whisk together in another bowl:

2 large eggs
    1 cup milk or cream
    4 to 8 Tbs (1/4 to 1/2 cup) melted butter or veggie oil (I use canola)
    1 tsp vanilla

Add to flour mixture and mix together with a few light strokes just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix; the batter should not be smooth. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes (or longer for variations with fruit). Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the pan.

Blueberry Muffins
    Add 1 1/2 cups blueberries (frozen fine) to basic muffins

Peach Muffins
    Add 1 1/2 cups chopped peaches to basic muffins

Poppy Seed Muffins

Add 1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds and lemon flavoring (you can skip the vanilla flavoring or leave it in)

Or

Add 1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds and almond flavoring
    Sprinkle with sliced almonds if you want to be able to tell them from the lemon ones by sight!

Surprise muffins

Partially fill the muffin tins, add a teaspoon of jam, cover it carefully with the rest of the batter.

9. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

I make this mix and keep in the fridge -- it keeps for 6 weeks, and I can make fresh muffins anytime.

When I want to make the muffins, I grease the tin, add the batter, and then add nuts, apples, raisins, dates, mashed banana, whatever I have on hand, as it's very flexible. I also add seasonings -- cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

Ingredients
    4 eggs
    3 cups sugar
    1 quart buttermilk
    6 cups bran cereal with raisins
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup vegetable oil
    5 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt

Directions
    In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until well combines. Stir in buttermilk, cereal, flour, oil, baking soda and salt; mix well. Refrigerate at least 6 hours before using. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Batter may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.

10. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

I'm guessing you have a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG fridge:rolleyes1 Sounds a great idea!

11. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

No, not at all -- It fits in a Rubbermaid cereal container. It stands up on the bottom shelf.

12. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

OK you have a bigger fridge than me - I don't have rubbermaid but I couldn't fit a tupperware cereal container standing up anywhere in my fridge - possibly the dooor but then I'd have no-where to put the milk:scared1: What capacity container is that?